posted 47 years ago by
ragingwookiee
Senior Member - 6K

Posted with ToGo

Certified Refurbished Arris SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
$39.99
http://www.staples.com/Certified-Refurbished-Arris-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-30-Cable-Modem/product_1949015?cid=SM:SBD:FACEBOOK:SITELIKES:20111002:EVENT 

• Requires Cable Internet Service
  • Compatible With All Major Cable Providers Like Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, Charter, Time Warner, Mediacom, Bright House; Voip Phone Hook-Up Feature Available Separately.
  • Internet Download Speeds Up To 343 Mbps And Upload Speeds Up To 131 Mbps Based On Your Cable Provider Service.

Views
10 Comments
Add Comment
I bought one of these refurbished 6 months ago. Has been rock solid - better than the cable company supplied modem.

Thinking of buying this just to have as a backup.

The question is, when they say certified refurbished, who is refurbishing it? The manufacturer? And how long is the warranty for? I wish they would put those MINOR details in the listing. My philosophy on refurbished products is: if the manufacturer is willing to put the full warranty on it, then it shows they are willing to stand behind their product.

jpessin3 said:   The question is, when they say certified refurbished, who is refurbishing it? The manufacturer? And how long is the warranty for? I wish they would put those MINOR details in the listing. My philosophy on refurbished products is: if the manufacturer is willing to put the full warranty on it, then it shows they are willing to stand behind their product.
  How do you "refurbish" a modem, to begin with? If it's broken, you'd have to replace the entire circuit board. Might as well just sell a new modem instead.

My guess is that "refurbished" means that they took a customer return and cleaned the dirt off it, without ever trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Many customer returns are not actually broken.
Then they roll the dice and sell it. If it's truly broken, the new customer will return it, or throw it out.
Which is why I never buy "refurbished". I don't want to be the tester. I want to buy a reliable product, even if it costs $5 more.

jpessin3 said:   The question is, when they say certified refurbished, who is refurbishing it? The manufacturer? And how long is the warranty for? I wish they would put those MINOR details in the listing. My philosophy on refurbished products is: if the manufacturer is willing to put the full warranty on it, then it shows they are willing to stand behind their product.
  Would it matter? You would have to pay shipping both ways to get warranty service. That's at least $20, on a $40 product. And the cost of packaging. And the hassle of packing it, getting an RMA number, going to the Post Office. Then, you don't have internet service for several days/weeks while you wait on the repair/replacement. And you HOPE that they actually fixed the problem and don't just send the broken unit back with a note saying "No issue"

Basically, if it doesn't work, you may as well throw it out regardless of warranty, and take the $40 hit as a lesson on not buying refurbished products.

I'm not being cynical here. I had a very similar scenario recently happen to me with a name-brand (Mag lite) flashlight. The shipping costs and hassle negate any value of warranties on sub-$100 products.

First of all, not all manufacturers make you pay shipping both ways on a warranty item. In fact, most will make you pay only 1 way (to return it to them) and some will pick up the costs both ways. Secondly, it does not cost $20 to ship a light modem (I have been selling on eBay For 15 years - I know what shipping costs)probably around $13 - $15.

So the key question again is: who is refurbishing it, who is giving the warranty, and how long is the warranty for? all things they don't tell you in the listing.

I generally have very good luck with refurbished electronics. In my experience it's a product that was a simple return, gets tested by manufacturer and resold as refurbished. I can see folks buying these, hooking them up and deciding they "don't work" because they never had the new modem provisioned by their ISP. Heck, I can even see folks simply getting them and because they have "cable TV" figure it should work free. In fact most of the refurbished items, other than possibly having a sticker indicating such, look brand new but possibly in a plain/brown box.

A "refurbished" modem might even simply have had a bad power supply - so nothing to do with the modem itself. Just swap in a new power supply and re-package it. But you can't call it "new" anymore, because obviously someone has plugged it in and tried it and then now it has been repackaged. I agree, I don't think it's cost effective to try to repair one of these things.

Newegg is selling these brand new on eBay for $57.99.

FYI, Comcast has put an end of support on their units of this modem.

They will still activate retail units:

http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device.php?devid=336 

This is likely due to new/faster post-1TB-cap plans that will require more channels than it offers. If it's disposable for you, buy it now... but I'm miffed my $23 ZyXEL is no longer supported... unlike the 6141, as soon as I move, I have to buy a new modem.

This could happen in the future to 6141's on Comcast, as they tend to block even DOCSIS 3.0 modems, and DOCSIS 3.1 is inbound.

I got lucky and found one of the 6580s when GameStop had them on clearance.

The only issue with that one is that even if it is "dual band" it cannot do both at the same time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017