posted 48 years ago by
Virgil27

Posted with ToGo

Amazon. com: I Am Legend eBook: Richard Matheson: Kindle Store
$1.99
https://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Legend-Richard-Matheson-ebook/dp/B00514HDNW 

I saw deallover77's post for "The Zombie Survival Guide" at $1.99, and I noticed this book was also $1.99.

"I Am Legend" is literally the grand-daddy of the zombie apocalypse. Matheson's classic was actually the inspiration for George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead". It's worth reading for that alone, but if you need more, it has a heck of a twist ending that none of the several film adaptions have ever quite got right. 

Views
6 Comments
Add Comment
Was the movie based on this? Never knew it was book. Might be in for one.

knittingpotholders said:   Was the movie based on this? Never knew it was book. Might be in for one.
  Yeah, the movie "I Am Legend" along with the Charleston Heston movie "Omega Man" and the Vincent Price movie "The Last Man on Earth" were all based on this book. I really recommend it, especially if you are horror fan. Plus, it's a good introduction to Matheson, who has a really extensive bibliography. 

I don't know that this is all that hot a price for a short story, but it's a pretty good read. If you have the Blu-ray of this movie and have seen the alternate ending, you will still be quite surprised because it's not even close to the book. Personally, I felt like after the twist is revealed that the story kind of fizzles out. Like the author was writing a story for school and had to hurry the ending to turn his assignment in on time. But great story!

frett said:   I don't know that this is all that hot a price for a short story, but it's a pretty good read. If you have the Blu-ray of this movie and have seen the alternate ending, you will still be quite surprised because it's not even close to the book. Personally, I felt like after the twist is revealed that the story kind of fizzles out. Like the author was writing a story for school and had to hurry the ending to turn his assignment in on time. But great story!
  It's actually closer to a novella length at 162 pages. Personally, I liked the ending. It's darker than what you see in the movie, which is probably why it wraps up the story in a different way. 

Virgil27 said:   
frett said:   I don't know that this is all that hot a price for a short story, but it's a pretty good read. If you have the Blu-ray of this movie and have seen the alternate ending, you will still be quite surprised because it's not even close to the book. Personally, I felt like after the twist is revealed that the story kind of fizzles out. Like the author was writing a story for school and had to hurry the ending to turn his assignment in on time. But great story!
  It's actually closer to a novella length at 162 pages. Personally, I liked the ending. It's darker than what you see in the movie, which is probably why it wraps up the story in a different way. 

Novella is a better description.  I have a hard time telling book length with Kindle--no thickness!   I liked the ending, too.  I just wish it had been fleshed out a bit more.  I think he spent more time talking about the dog!

frett said:   
Virgil27 said:   

Novella is a better description.  I have a hard time telling book length with Kindle--no thickness!   I liked the ending, too.  I just wish it had been fleshed out a bit more.  I think he spent more time talking about the dog!

I think novella is in the 150ish page range. But yeah, that's why I keep hoping we get a movie that does the ending justice - so they could build the world up a bit more.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017