posted 1 month ago by
Stubtify
Thrifty Member

Title says it all. I'll be jumping in and trying to get it unlocked with either AT&T mobility, or if that fails an eBay code for $8. 

Requires porting IN your number as well as 1 month's service ($30 for the cheapest plan.). Sign up for a disposable number at R+ and port that in. 

FAQ on porting out of R+:https://ringplus.net/faq/#faq-list-thirteen 

Activation is $25 in stores, waived online. 

Landing page for the phone (W/link to details): https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones/microsoft-lumia-650.html?woo_campaign=Internal&woo_source=Homepage&woo_medium=HPC1&woo_content=Microsoft_Lumia650# 

UPDATE: After you get your account set up, chat with Cricket and ask about the DirecTV Now 30 day trial. can try to sign up and use promo code 'CRICKET1MONTH/'

55 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: Edited to clean link. — Nov. 22, 2016 @ 1:41am
rated:
Stubtify said:   Title says it all. I'll be jumping in and trying to get it unlocked with either AT&T mobility, or if that fails an eBay code for $8. 

Requires porting IN your number as well as 1 month's service ($30 for the cheapest plan.). Sign up for a disposable number at R+ and port that in. 

Activation is $25 in stores, waived online. 

Landing page for the phone (W/link to details): https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones/microsoft-lumia-650.html?woo_campaign=Internal&woo_source=Homepage&woo_medium=HPC1&woo_content=Microsoft_Lumia650#

NO UNLOCK unless 6 months of continuous service with Cricket using the device (Lumia 650 in this case)

rated:
Good tip. I'll still give it a shot. I've had luck in the past with AT&T unlocking cricket phones as a "non-mobility" customer. Otherwise like I said, there are sellers on eBay offering unlock for $8.

rated:
Do you need a phone to activate a line with Ringplus?

rated:
No need to unlock if you're going to use for AT&T. Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses their towers

rated:
fredcat13 said:   No need to unlock if you're going to use for AT&T. Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses their towers
  yeah, not true.   Can use ATT on Cricket, but not other way around without unlock.  Used to be different, but not any more.

rated:
imacciml said:   Do you need a phone to activate a line with Ringplus?
  You need at least an IMEI from a 3g or flip/candybar phone.   Unfortunately the Truly Free Plan is not available now, so you are looking at about $5 to open a new line.  Unless somebody else knows a work around.

rated:
Another cheap way to get a phone number to port in is with a T-Mobile sim starter kit. I hold onto a few when they're $1 or free for days like these.

My order was successfully charged for $30 on a prepaid card.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Another cheap way to get a phone number to port in is with a T-Mobile sim starter kit. I hold onto a few when they're $1 or free for days like these.

My order was successfully charged for $30 on a prepaid card.

​https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1532519

rated:
Is this the single or dual sim version?

rated:
I wonder if the airtime is loaded on the phone or just supplied as a card or code.

rated:
chubbypops said:   I wonder if the airtime is loaded on the phone or just supplied as a card or code.
  Cricket's "airtime" will be tied to the SIM card. Pop it into any other phone and away you go with unlimited calls, text and 1GB data. 

rated:
It won't work with ring plus.. Lumia 650 is Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile, but are not compatible with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint

rated:
ghoshdd said:   It won't work with ring plus.. Lumia 650 is Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile, but are not compatible with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint
  That's all true, but not what is being discussed here. For this deal to work you need to port a number into Cricket. If you don't want to port your ACTUAL number I'm suggesting porting in a R+ number. Questions are how to sign up for a R+ phone number before you order the 650, and port that number IN to cricket. 

rated:
Unless you are planning to stick with Cricket, it's not free since you are paying $30 and end up with a phone which can't be used on any other provider unless you try to get it unlocked for another $8.

IMHO too much of a hassle.............remember BF is not far.

rated:
Thanks, Stub. From what I can see also, for those wanting to use it on T-Mo, there is no band 12 support.

rated:

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Unless you are planning to stick with Cricket, it's not free since you are paying $30 and end up with a phone which can't be used on any other provider unless you try to get it unlocked for another $8.

If you want one now, the BB deal is just in time. Less hassle, less $, better specs - 640 for $27.

rated:
RaoMonger said:   
marcopolomle said:   Unless you are planning to stick with Cricket, it's not free since you are paying $30 and end up with a phone which can't be used on any other provider unless you try to get it unlocked for another $8.

If you want one now, the BB deal is just in time. Less hassle, less $, better specs - 640 for $27.

What BB deal

rated:
corpse101 said:   RaoMonger said:   If you want one now, the BB deal is just in time. Less hassle, less $, better specs - 640 for $27.What BB dealhttps://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1532839

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
corpse101 said:   
RaoMonger said:   If you want one now, the BB deal is just in time. Less hassle, less $, better specs - 640 for $27.
What BB deal

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1532839

Thanks, looks slightly less spec'd but pretty similar.  Definately worth it for less hassle.

rated:
Why bother? Windows phone are dead. Get the iPhone 7 or Google Pixel phone instead.

rated:
fatxman said:   Why bother? Windows phone are dead. Get the iPhone 7 or Google Pixel phone instead.
  'cause I want a Fatwallet, not a leanwallet!! 

rated:
corpse101 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
corpse101 said:   
RaoMonger said:   If you want one now, the BB deal is just in time. Less hassle, less $, better specs - 640 for $27.
What BB deal

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1532839 

Thanks, looks slightly less spec'd but pretty similar.  Definately worth it for less hassle.

Agree, less spec'd, 650 has 5MP front camera and 640 has more battery life. Then I realized I also get a whole month of cricket service if I buy from Cricket.

rated:
How do I obtain a phone number from T-Mobile sim kit?

rated:
Update: Phone arrived today. AT&T Mobility unlock won't even recognize the ESN. Going w/eBay unlock code instead.

rated:
imacciml said:   How do I obtain a phone number from T-Mobile sim kit?
 Activating the SIM starts a Pay as You Go account with a 30 minute balance. When you get the SIM, call the CS number in the kit. There is an activation code in the kit. Give them the SIM number and the activation code. They will give you your phone number and ask you to set a PIN. They will tell you that you have to wait 72 hours to set up a profile, but you can do it immediately. Set up your profile and add your address and zip code. You can now port it out. Give Cricket the phone number, PIN, use the phone number as account number, zip code, and last four of SSN. I did this yesterday and got the phone today with the number already ported. When you activate the phone, your T-Mo account is shut down automatically. Very quick and easy and well worth the 99 cents.

rated:
Unlock code arrived and worked.

Easyunlockahop_com on eBay.

rated:
If you buy one of these, before paying for an unlock code, check the SIM status. I spent $8 on a code and opened the SIM lock status only to find that it was not locked. ##7820#

rated:
Little slower processor, 20% smaller battery, but overall pretty nice. Microsoft Maps is not that much different from Here. The camera button, home page button, and search button on the lock screen is nice. Very light and thin, and I think they went with a smaller battery to get the size and weight down and partly because the AMOLED display uses less power most of the time. I like it, this version of Win 10 beats the Beta version that I messed with for a year by leaps and bounds. I sold the SIM for $20 so I ended up with $19 in it including the T-Mo SIM for porting and $8 wasted on unlock code. Would have been $11 if I had checked unlock status before ordering code.

rated:
Chubby pops said
If you buy one of these, before paying for an unlock code, check the SIM status. I spent $8 on a code and opened the SIM lock status only to find that it was not locked. ##7820#

Mine arrived locked. 😥

But phone looks well built - if only there are more apps for it.

rated:
R+ Mad Truly Free plan is live. Free phone number, and a free port out mean this is now churnable!

rated:
Deal is back.

Think there are some new restrictions:

Ltd Time Offer, while supplies last. Taxes may apply. New svc line only. First month svc charge due at sale. Requires porting number & svc activ. on qual. plan (min. $30/mo). Excludes ports from AT&T. General Terms: by activating or using Cricket svc, you agree to be bound by Cricket Wireless Terms & Conditions of Service avail. at www.cricketwireless.com/terms. Svc good for 30 days. Return Fee: $25. Promotion, terms & restr's subject to change and may be modified, or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & svc not avail. everyw

rated:
I got my phone from the earlier deal and ported my number. I'm yet to get a credit that would make the phone free. When does this credit normally post? I paid $49 upfront for the phone plus $30 for first month of service. I also paid for an unlock code from eBay from the seller mentioned on here. Received an email today saying unlock request was rejected. No explanation giving. Anyone had their unlock request rejected presumably by Cricket? 

rated:
anticashcow said:   I got my phone from the earlier deal and ported my number. I'm yet to get a credit that would make the phone free. When does this credit normally post? I paid $49 upfront for the phone plus $30 for first month of service. I also paid for an unlock code from eBay from the seller mentioned on here. Received an email today saying unlock request was rejected. No explanation giving. Anyone had their unlock request rejected presumably by Cricket? 
  Not sure what you did wrong. The discount posts before you buy the phone. When you buy the phone and select porting in for your number you get the discount immediately. 

You also should have requested the unlock code and waited for it before opening the box and turning on the phone. 

rated:
I don't think you can buy an unlock code from eBay to unlock it. I thought there was a lock on the device until a month or two of service on cricket. You're best bet is to upgrade to unlimited plan, request unlock directly from cricket, then downgrade back to your original plan. Also like Stubtify said, it looks like something went wrong during the initial checkout as like he explained, the credit gets applied when you order with port in. I can confirm this as I just did it myself.

rated:
I've bought unlock codes off eBay. Had my best luck with this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282190646369

rated:
Does this have Dual sim? I see it saying as Dual sim at microsoft.com but doesn't mention anywhere at cricketwireless.

rated:
cricket version is single sim

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016