• Ideal for clearing snow off mid-to-large sized driveways and walkways
  • No gas, oil or tune-ups make it effortless to start and maintain
  • Powerful 15-amp motor moves up to 720 lbs of snow per minute
  • 180° adjustable directional chute throws snow up to 25 ft
  • ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty

11 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
I may have to break down and get one of these at this price.

Just remember that you need heavy duty extension cords that are going to run $1 per foot. Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-727-103100FZL5F-100-Feet-Outdoo...
or at least this:
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-Hi-Visibility-Low-Temperatu...

rated:
minicxz said:   Just remember that you need heavy duty extension cords that are going to run $1 per foot
You forgot the "IF".
You'd be justified in utilizing an expensive 10/3 extension cord if you need 100ft. Using a $30 50 foot 12/3 is sufficient @15amps as it's less than 2% voltage drop. Using a 100' 12/3 cord is less than 4% voltage drop and would still work decent enough as long as your branch/feeder circuit drop is less than 1% (staying under the NEC 5% rule). But I'd probably recommend the 10/3 at that point so as to keep the motor's performance up.

rated:
Two pack of 50 footers 12/3 at Costco for $35.

rated:

rated:
Dotbody said:   
minicxz said:   Just remember that you need heavy duty extension cords that are going to run $1 per foot
You forgot the "IF".
You'd be justified in utilizing an expensive 10/3 extension cord if you need 100ft. Using a $30 50 foot 12/3 is sufficient @15amps as it's less than 2% voltage drop. Using a 100' 12/3 cord is less than 4% voltage drop and would still work decent enough as long as your branch/feeder circuit drop is less than 1% (staying under the NEC 5% rule). But I'd probably recommend the 10/3 at that point so as to keep the motor's performance up.

Sorry, I just couldn't imagine anybody getting away with just 50 feet of cord to do any sort of average sized driveway/sidewalk.
Just as you suggest, I personally wouldn't be comfortable going 100ft unless I used a 10/3  (and a low temp cord like in my links so it remains flexible and not a PITA when you are outside in the cold).

rated:
I think using the right electrical cord is absolutely a must, but also can't see the reasoning of recommending 10/3, as it is overkill. It is far less common that 12/3 (so way more $$), and nobody has 10/3 going to any 15/20amp outlet in their house; and if you do, you have something strange going on. So if you don't have 10/3 going to the outlet where you are plugging in, what is the real benefit of putting a bigger guage for the extension cord?

rated:
Hey ach1199, can you send me the sku or description for the extension cables at Costco? I am a Costco member, but cant find them on their site.

rated:
I have this exact model. Bought it last winter. Worked well for the one storm (20+ inches) I used it for. Bought it for $130 on Black Friday.

The 12/3 100 foot extension cable I bought for it was $70 at home depot. Didn't buy that on BF.

rated:
Home Depot is selling this at same price, So is Target.

rated:
arafi said:   Hey ach1199, can you send me the sku or description for the extension cables at Costco? I am a Costco member, but cant find them on their site.
  Item 1041444, it is not on the website and it wasn't in the store this past weekend also...it's a seasonal item I think.  you can call your store and give them item number to see if they have it...they can look up other stores also.

This item

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   So if you don't have 10/3 going to the outlet where you are plugging in, what is the real benefit of putting a bigger guage for the extension cord?

Bigger cord, among other things, means less voltage drop: If you have standard 14/3 Romex going from the junction box to the outlet, sure you'll have some voltage drop. But that doesn't mean continuing the circuit with a 10/3 extension cord won't help. Indeed, it just means less voltage drop as the electricity travels through the 10 gauge cable. So if your 14/3 Romex branch circuit loses 4 volts @ 15amps, you'd want to preserve as much voltage as possible by utilizing a higher gauge extension cable for the rest of the circuit to the snow thrower's motor.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016