• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Savage has a $25 rebate right now on their .22LR rimfire rifles.   Cabelas has the SavageŽ Arms Mark II .22 LR Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle and BushnellŽ 4x32 Scope Combo on sale from $250 down to $150 minus a $25 = $125 plus tax, pick up in store only.    I think some other sites have this on sale too, so it worth checking out your local stores.  Also, good on a few other Savage rifles, see rebate link. 

Link to Rifle at Cabelas 
Link to rebate 

Moderator Comment: This thread had been placed under moderation to keep thread on topic. — Oct. 23, 2016 @ 6:39am
Member Summary

savage .22lr bolt action (160.75kB)
Thanks Brew
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Don't think too long: rebate ends 11/19/16.

rated:
Have until December 13th to send it in too.

rated:
Humm... Guess my robbers are going to be surprised. Perfect timing! Just what I needed in an affordable price point. Wish it was a shotgun tho... That shotguns racking sound is universal...

rated:
This is a fun Target rifle, not something for home protection.
Barrel length is not something you want to be dealing with at 3am in a narrow hall and 22 has no stopping power.

rated:
For sure. Not a gun for home or self protection. Neither is that shotgun racking sound.

rated:
Did this last year, Just be forewarned that this model does not have the accu-trigger and it had by far the worst trigger I've ever touched.  Tried the suggestions on how to smooth out and lighten the trigger and they worked marginally.  

In the end picked up a replacement sear and now it has a really nice crisp, smooth and light trigger.   The replacement sear cost almost 100 with shipping and a replacement scope 50. So not as much of a bargain as I initially thought.

Dave

rated:
Not unlike the .22 rifle I had as a kid.  Many fond memories of Target shooting w/ relatives.  Also:  from about the time I was 10 or so, my rifle lived in a gun rack I made at camp, hung on my bedroom wall.  These days, that would be grounds for CPS call.

rated:
rocketdaveslaw said:   Did this last year, Just be forewarned that this model does not have the accu-trigger and it had by far the worst trigger I've ever touched.  Tried the suggestions on how to smooth out and lighten the trigger and they worked marginally.  

In the end picked up a replacement sear and now it has a really nice crisp, smooth and light trigger.   The replacement sear cost almost 100 with shipping and a replacement scope 50. So not as much of a bargain as I initially thought.

Dave

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have a recommendation on a rifle we could keep our eyes out for that would make a better deal than this?

rated:
alienjedi said:   
rocketdaveslaw said:   Did this last year, Just be forewarned that this model does not have the accu-trigger and it had by far the worst trigger I've ever touched.  Tried the suggestions on how to smooth out and lighten the trigger and they worked marginally.  

Dave

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have a recommendation on a rifle we could keep our eyes out for that would make a better deal than this?

If your budget can be bumped up (to about double this deal), the Ruger 10/22 is your best bet.  The gun itself starts at about $200 and goes up from there, that does not include scope, rings, etc. but it is by far the most popular small rifle made.  So it has a HUGE following with an insane amount of aftermarket parts to do what ever you want to it.  So if you are looking for a good .22LR gun, the Ruger is your best bet.  If you are looking for a home defense gun, you need something bigger than a .22LR, you are better off with a shotgun or a pistol. 

These little rifles are good for varmit hunting (squirrels, rabbits, etc) and great for Target shooting/plinking, or getting your kid an awesome christmas present they will never forget.    

rated:
I have a couple ruger rifles and as stated there are hundreds if not thousands of accessories or modification available, I think the savage mark II is a more accurate plinker out of the box. This savage mark ii with aftermarket sear has a really nice trigger, its just the days of a nice hundred dollar rifle out of the box aren't today anymore.

You really can't go wrong with either a 10/22 or mark II, at $250 your in the plinker price range.

Real Target 22 rifles start about $1000 and go up to over $5000, it all depends on what your trying to do.
Dave

rated:
rocketdaveslaw said:   ... there are hundreds if not thousands of accessories or modification available ...
  I know I am a curmudgeon, but:  I get sorta depressed when I see the "accessorization" trend spread from AR's and similar guns to what I consider the beautiful simplicity of a starter rifle like the ones we're discussing here.  The one on which I learned didn't have a scope, just an open sight.  I guess such things have gone the way of learning how to write in cursive and parallel park.

rated:
I have one of this..fun little gun for plinking, squirrels and stuff

rated:
The funny thing is 10/22 started before the ARs.

rated:
Best to keep the shotgun with a shell already loaded, the sound of chambering a round will give your position away.  Keep your powder dry!

rated:
Have a hand gun... If woken from sleep or other...Shotgun is for if ur coming up 3 or 4 floors of stairs..I have a nice cover position on one of the floors... Also, wide hallways. As for position... If I'm not downstairs there's only way for them to go... Up.

Good to know this Rifle doesn't have enough power tho. Just figured something extra on the fourth floor might be a good idea.

TY

rated:
lawomanim1 said:   Have a hand gun... If woken from sleep or other...Shotgun is for if ur coming up 3 or 4 floors of stairs..I have a nice cover position on one of the floors... Also, wide hallways. As for position... If I'm not downstairs there's only way for them to go... Up.

Good to know this Rifle doesn't have enough power tho. Just figured something extra on the fourth floor might be a good idea.

TY

Though some of the points where made above, the most important take away is the the .22LR round has extreme range possibilities - Most ammo warns of 1 - 1.5 mile danger. so you want to be certain of what lies beyond your Target. Considering this, it's a poor choice for using -indoors- where odds are that you'll have innocent people in other rooms when you're firing at an intruder.

rated:
Brew said:   
alienjedi said:   

Dave

If your budget can be bumped up (to about double this deal), the Ruger 10/22 is your best bet.  The gun itself starts at about $200 and goes up from there, that does not include scope, rings, etc. but it is by far the most popular small rifle made.  So it has a HUGE following with an insane amount of aftermarket parts to do what ever you want to it.  So if you are looking for a good .22LR gun, the Ruger is your best bet.  If you are looking for a home defense gun, you need something bigger than a .22LR, you are better off with a shotgun or a pistol. 

These little rifles are good for varmit hunting (squirrels, rabbits, etc) and great for Target shooting/plinking, or getting your kid an awesome christmas present they will never forget.    

I have been looking at the Ruger 10/22 myself.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016