rated:
We have been vending [music] at outdoor events since about 1980.

We have a 20 X 20, costs new over $5000.

Not everybody can obviously spend that much, especially for a one time event.

BUT:

over the years, we have seen about every type of tents & canopies.

We mostly notice them when they start flying all over a field, or when them collapse in the rain - they fill with water, the top develops a "bubble" and the flimsy legs bend & break.

10 X 10 EZ-ups types are notorious for that. [we call them EZ-up , EZ-down]

10 X 20 of similar construction rarely stay in one piece if the weather gets slightly bad.

With a good design, 10 or 15 X 20, using electrical conduit for legs & frame, and GOOD anchoring can do well.

This guy does not give details about the stakes used [most certainly what we call "thumb tacks" - they pull out if you look at them sideways !]
They should have secure connection between legs & joints so the wind does not lift the canopy from the legs. [we used set screws on our old tent]

We rarely see this simple engineering in cheapo stuff like that

This type of 10 X 10 are unsafe, 10 X 20 are, of course worse. 

But, I cannot imagine anybody selling a 10 X 30 of this type and not expecting to be sued if this thing starts to throw legs around and somebody gets impelled.

I would not want this one if it was free.

rated:
I don't know much about party tents but it looks like you are correct. In the description "This party tent is for regular use only with no rain and very light wind, it can not hold on wind more than 5 MPH and mild rain condition."

Probably avoid this one.

rated:
mikebeets said:   We have been vending [music] at outdoor events since about 1980.

BUT:

We mostly notice them when they start flying all over a field, or when them collapse in the rain - they fill with water, the top develops a "bubble" and the flimsy legs bend & break.

10 X 20 of similar construction rarely stay in one piece if the weather gets slightly bad.

With a good design, 10 or 15 X 20, using electrical conduit for legs & frame, and GOOD anchoring can do well.

This guy does not give details about the stakes used [most certainly what we call "thumb tacks" - they pull out if you look at them sideways !]
They should have secure connection between legs & joints so the wind does not lift the canopy from the legs. [we used set screws on our old tent]

But, I cannot imagine anybody selling a 10 X 30 of this type and not expecting to be sued if this thing starts to throw legs around and somebody gets impelled.

Is it worth getting for the canopy material and replace the frame w/ beefier material.

rated:
Meritline has been selling these exact canopies in varying sizes for about a year.May want to look at the reviews.

rated:
Genius069 said:   
mikebeets said:   We have been vending [music] at outdoor events since about 1980.

BUT:

Is it worth getting for the canopy material and replace the frame w/ beefier material.

I was just thinking the same thing.

rated:
I've had all sorts of gazebos, popups, and canopies, and the main problems with the cheap ones are the same things described by mikebeets: weak frames that aren't permanently connected to other parts, insufficient stakes, and no cross bracing. I live in WA on the water and we get extremely high winds, tons of rain, and snow. This canopy's frame looks similar to one I bought from Costco about 7 years ago and I still have it standing, but the difference with this one is the roof frame poles look smaller diameter and the Costco canopy has small metal bars with turnbuckles in the middle to tension between all the poles on the sides and roof to make it a solid unit. Those tensioners also support the roof tarp so it doesn't collect rain. I do have to hit the snow off daily every year from the inside or it collects and will collapse the canopy. For the one being sold here, it would probably be ok if you bought some turnbuckles with cables and made X supports on the sides and roof and tied it down with drill stakes.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016