• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
http://weeklyad.staples.com/StaplesSD/WeeklyAd?s 

Save $25.99
Staples ® Multipurpose Paper, 8 1/2" x 11", 5 Ream Case
$5after easy rebate
$30.99 - $25.99 easy rebate = $5, 3 days only! Sunday–Tuesday., Rest of week: $30.99 - $18 easy rebate = $12.99

NOTE: with respect to the MASTER CARD deal, please read posts in this thread with fraud issues with this exact prepaid card.

More deals in the official Staples clearance thread.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
how many of you got the email with the 5 ream case being a penny after rebate coupon this morning? The coupon says it e... (more)

bobluciano (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 11:34a) |

My email had if for $1 after coupon after rebate:
Just $1
after easy rebate and with coupon.
You pay $26.99 after coupon - ... (more)

bpvh (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 12:13p) |

yes my mistake $1 yet arrived this morning expired 3 days back

bobluciano (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 12:27p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Has it ever been determined whether or not you can order the $300 Visa Prepaid at a Kiosk in the store and pay at the register, and still qualify for the rebate?  I realize that this post is about MasterCard, but have been wondering this lately.

rated:
ljderm said:   Has it ever been determined whether or not you can order the $300 Visa Prepaid at a Kiosk in the store and pay at the register, and still qualify for the rebate?  I realize that this post is about MasterCard, but have been wondering this lately.
  Regular store purchase only

rated:
ljderm said:   Has it ever been determined whether or not you can order the $300 Visa Prepaid at a Kiosk in the store and pay at the register, and still qualify for the rebate?  I realize that this post is about MasterCard, but have been wondering this lately.
Kiosk orders are online orders for rebate purposes whether paid for at the kiosk or the cash register.

rated:
Those master cards are not secure. I had my $200 mgc for only a few days and never left my kitchen drawer before i tried to use it in store and found the fund was gone. The gift card company wouldn't even tell me the card transactions because it was registered in a DIFFERENT PERSON'S NAME!! Later I learned on the gift card site that the charges were all from Amazon market place payments. I called Amazon and they closed that Person's Amazon accounts, but i still haven't got my money back. I'm still puzzled as how could that theft got my card number and even registered in his name.

rated:
fraud is a huge issue with these cards, and you will have months of headaches if it happens to you.  appreciate the deal but please be aware of this potential issue.

rated:
niniss said:   Those master cards are not secure. I had my $200 mgc for only a few days and never left my kitchen drawer before i tried to use it in store and found the fund was gone. The gift card company wouldn't even tell me the card transactions because it was registered in a DIFFERENT PERSON'S NAME!! Later I learned on the gift card site that the charges were all from Amazon market place payments. I called Amazon and they closed that Person's Amazon accounts, but i still haven't got my money back. I'm still puzzled as how could that theft got my card number and even registered in his name.

your concerns are quite legit. I am going to add a disclaimer to the OP that people read these posts before pulling the trigger. thanks niniss and pjws.

rated:
niniss said:   Those master cards are not secure. I had my $200 mgc for only a few days and never left my kitchen drawer before i tried to use it in store and found the fund was gone. The gift card company wouldn't even tell me the card transactions because it was registered in a DIFFERENT PERSON'S NAME!! Later I learned on the gift card site that the charges were all from Amazon market place payments. I called Amazon and they closed that Person's Amazon accounts, but i still haven't got my money back. I'm still puzzled as how could that theft got my card number and even registered in his name.
  I wish I could give about a hundred positive feedbacks for posting this.  Thanks for making me aware of of this very major problem.  I'm staying away from gift card deals from here on out.

rated:
WalterGuy said:   
  I wish I could give about a hundred positive feedbacks for posting this.  Thanks for making me aware of of this very major problem.  I'm staying away from gift card deals from here on out.

Walter, this issue is with MASTER CARD only, not the Visa deals like this at Staples.

rated:
  Because MC issues their cards sequentially and the number can be derived. Once they generate a correct card number they just go register the card in their name. There have been quite a few threads on fw discussing how this is possible and what to do to get your money back. If you buy one it's best to spend it immediately to prevent any fraud.

rated:
jatan1986 said:   
  Regular store purchase only

+1.
In fact, the product SKUs are different online (what you order via kiosk) vs. in-store. The rebate eligible SKUs are specifically the ones offered in-store and exclude those offered online. In short, it is definitively determined the kioks trick wil not work.

rated:
Moreover, with a $15 rebate and it costing ~$13 to buy the MC, it is hardly worthwhile (even without the MC security issues). Only time this might make sense (assuming no security issue) is if you have a 5% CC that you can use to purchase this or are say trying to meet a minimum spending requirement.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   Moreover, with a $15 rebate and it costing ~$13 to buy the MC, it is hardly worthwhile (even without the MC security issues). Only time this might make sense (assuming no security issue) is if you have a 5% CC that you can use to purchase this or are say trying to meet a minimum spending requirement.
Also consider, the % cc savings that you would get from normal purchases from Staples is shot in this deal since the rebate is a Staples gift card unlike Visa GC deals where you get a visa rebate card you can turn into MO. 

rated:
mathfaster said:   
  Because MC issues their cards sequentially and the number can be derived. Once they generate a correct card number they just go register the card in their name. There have been quite a few threads on fw discussing how this is possible and what to do to get your money back. If you buy one it's best to spend it immediately to prevent any fraud.

I haven't been buying these because of the fraud issues and difficulty cashing them out.
Card has to be activated before they can steal the funds, correct?
If I purchase a MC gc and make an online purchase (laptop, phone, whatever) before I even leave Staples are the chances better that funds would still be there?
Since I earn 5% on my cc it would effectively lower my property tax bill by 5% if I paid with a mc gc and I can do that online.

rated:
[q=my4mainecoons;19674729 said]
Since I earn 5% on my cc it would effectively lower my property tax bill by 5% if I paid with a mc gc and I can do that online.

That's nice that your local gov't would let you pay property tax in cc without any fee.  In our city they charge 2.6% fee to pay by cc.  There's no debit card payment option. 

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   
mathfaster said:   

I haven't been buying these because of the fraud issues and difficulty cashing them out.
If I purchase a MC gc and make an online purchase (laptop, phone, whatever) before I even leave Staples are the chances better that funds would still be there?

If you use them immediately (immediately being immediately) you should have a very low incidence of potential fraud. That is why the loss of Amazon Payments for draining them was such a major blow. Yes, card has to be activated before they can use them.

rated:
I have had multiple visa gift card frauds as well (back in my bluebird reload days) It's not Just MC. Although with some of the visas the packaging was VERY subtly tampered with , so someone had sliced open the package and emptied it soon after my purchase. Amazing how much fraud out there there is with these things.

rated:
The GC are activated at the register when you buy them

These go easily as debit card transactions at the post office. A $300 PO money order costs $1.25

I burn these immediately because of fraud. I was also a victim once on a MasterCard GC.

rated:
I know these don't earn rewards, but do they count towards the $1000 for premier?

rated:
MsMorrisine said:   I know these don't earn rewards, but do they count towards the $1000 for premier?
 No, they do not.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   
mathfaster said:   

If I purchase a MC gc and make an online purchase (laptop, phone, whatever) before I even leave Staples are the chances better that funds would still be there?

I assume you are referring to the 5% you earn on office supply purchases but consider that you would have gotten x% just by using your credit card to pay directly so deduct that x from your supposed 5% or am I missing something. Also, that Staples GC rebate will not earn you your 5% you would otherwise earn by using your cc. As I said earlier, I much prefer the Visa Gift card purchases that reward with Visa Gift cards. I'm sitting this one out.

rated:
Because of all the fraud issues, why do you suppose Mastercard issues their cards sequentially?

rated:
brusbrother said:   
my4mainecoons said:   
mathfaster said:   

I assume you are referring to the 5% you earn on office supply purchases but consider that you would have gotten x% just by using your credit card to pay directly so deduct that x from your supposed 5% or am I missing something. Also, that Staples GC rebate will not earn you your 5% you would otherwise earn by using your cc. As I said earlier, I much prefer the Visa Gift card purchases that reward with Visa Gift cards. I'm sitting this one out.

I want to move where property taxes are only $300!

rated:
i don't think the problem is that MC numbers them sequentially. i've heard that thieves will steal non-activated cards from the store, copy down the card numbers and security codes, and then return the cards to the store. then, they just run a script that goes online to check whether any of the stolen numbers have been activated, and drain them. for example, they can buy Amazon gift cards, and sell them online for paypal payments. there are almost certainly other ways they can drain the cards and launder the money that makes the thieves virtually untraceable.

rated:
crabbing said:   i don't think the problem is that MC numbers them sequentially. i've heard that thieves will steal non-activated cards from the store, copy down the card numbers and security codes, and then return the cards to the store. then, they just run a script that goes online to check whether any of the stolen numbers have been activated, and drain them. for example, they can buy Amazon gift cards, and sell them online for paypal payments. there are almost certainly other ways they can drain the cards and launder the money that makes the thieves virtually untraceable.
They do number them sequentially. I have bought Mastercard gift cards from Staples before that had sequential numbering.With all the fraud possibilities and it only being a $2.10 MM (I don't have a credit card that gives me 5% back on office supply store purchases), I think I will pass.  

rated:
I had a reward card from somewhere earlier this yea, and one day the funds were all gone. Well now reading this, if I find that card, I'll be making another call and perhaps using a slightly higher decibel voice this time

rated:
Keep in mind the #2 post office worker typically does not remember things correctly and typically makes mistakes

Today's Story of Money Orders at the PO
(or, a note of caution about buying MO from the Post Office)
1. Used This Week's Visa at PO as debit with PINs I set (ok -- I tried to use them)
2. First attempt was declined twice. I later find that I reversed the cards and gave the #1 post office trainee the $100 as a $200
3. #1 trainee gets help from knowledgeable regular staff. declined - but keep in mind I gave them the $100 and told them it was $200
4. great post office employee who is helping the trainee tells me there was an email sent out saying that there will "likely be a rise in declined debit cards, especially when buying MO."
5. I go out to the car and double check the cards and find I had them reversed
6. I go back in and #2 longer time employee who can't remember procedures and makes mistakes is going to cashier me.
7. I know I gave #2 employee the right card
8. declined on my second attempt inside the PO.

Additional note - strange that calling the 888 number, it says 2 transactions - 1 debit for $100 on the $100 card (@ WMT) and 1 credit on the $100 card (@ PO). So, it is possible the #2 mistake prone PO employee simply entered it as credit (?) in some way (?) even though the terminal had me enter the PIN. (not sure what's going on?) Perhaps this related to that email and is a software issue on their terminals now & it mistakenly sends credit requests out despite being rung up as debits. (still not sure what's going on?)

Lesson: buying a PO MO with these MasterCard GC might not be possible or might be YMMV.  (I've had the MC GC go through at the PO in the past with no issues and very easily.)

I took those same Visa GCs straight to WMT and bought a MO there with no issues.
(as for why the PO first instead of WMT -- I could go to another PO and cash it right away. The WMT MO won't cash right away, but must be bank deposited with a hold time.)

I'm going to go in on these MC GC, but not until Monday when the PO is open again.

Also, I strongly advise anyone getting these to use a smart phone and register them online while still in the parking lot of the SPLS where you bought them. Put a PIN on them if possible, even if you don't think you'll use it as a debit card. Then, even if you register it, burn through it immediately!

Again, I have also been the victim of MasterCard GC fraud where one card was used 99% by someone else. It did take a couple of months and a few calls and a fax to finally get a new card.

rated:
crabbing said:   i don't think the problem is that MC numbers them sequentially. i've heard that thieves will steal non-activated cards from the store, copy down the card numbers and security codes, and then return the cards to the store. then, they just run a script that goes online to check whether any of the stolen numbers have been activated, and drain them. for example, they can buy Amazon gift cards, and sell them online for paypal payments. there are almost certainly other ways they can drain the cards and launder the money that makes the thieves virtually untraceable.

my fraudster was dumb enough to use it at a particular location that would make it traceable.  Oooops.

rated:
MsMorrisine said:   The GC are activated at the register when you buy them

These go easily as debit card transactions at the post office. A $300 PO money order costs $1.25

I burn these immediately because of fraud. I was also a victim once on a MasterCard GC.

but you have to tell them how much to put on each card right?

rated:
bxlefty23 said:   

No. Staples does not sell variable load MCs. They come in $200 or $100 denominations.

rated:
bxlefty23 said:   

as just stated, no.

read my cautionary tale a few posts back about new attempts to buy MO at the post office

rated:
today's deal at SPLS & the PO
usual SPLS shot me down on the GC with GC buy.
alternate SPLS had success
went to parking lot and registered both on smartphone. Called and put PIN on both.
went to usual PO.

the helpful, experienced and great PO employee that was helping the trainee on saturday took me on the same register.
mentioned the attempt of $200 off a $100 GC mistake, also mentioned these are different cards. PO said "we'll try"

They both went through easily.

Total time from SPLS parking lot before the buy to PO parking lot after the buy was less than 40 minutes.

easy.

the PO MO gets cashed tomorrow. (only if my alternate PO has $300, otherwise it goes to the bank.)

rated:
Back on topic...
There is a coupon in the daily deals section of the main Staples website which knocks the 5 pack ream down to $1.00 AR.
Expires tomorrow (Tuesday!).

rated:
any chance you can post a copy as I don't see it on the website

Never Mind I found it Expires 11/1/16In-Store Coupon Code: 82385

rated:
My $25off$75 coupon is gone.

Thanks!
=aw

rated:
Technologist said:   Back on topic...
There is a coupon in the daily deals section of the main Staples website which knocks the 5 pack ream down to $1.00 AR.

Is the coupon still valid today?  Worth a try? 

rated:
FatRick said:   Technologist said:   Back on topic...
There is a coupon in the daily deals section of the main Staples website which knocks the 5 pack ream down to $1.00 AR.
Is the coupon still valid today?  Worth a try? 
It should scan but YMMV.

FYI - Paper is now "Rest of week: $30.99 - $18 easy rebate = $12.99", so $8.99 after coupon.

rated:
MsMorrisine said:   went to usual PO.

the helpful, experienced and great PO employee that was helping the trainee on saturday took me on the same register.
mentioned the attempt of $200 off a $100 GC mistake, also mentioned these are different cards. PO said "we'll try"

They both went through easily.
Can you buy a PO MO using multiple debit cards or only one card per MO?

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Can you buy a PO MO using multiple debit cards or only one card per MO?

Can use multiple cards. Dont know the limit but I have used two.

Skipping 9 Messages...
rated:
yes my mistake $1 yet arrived this morning expired 3 days back

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016