posted 1 month ago by
amandainwonderland
Blissful member

FreedomPop has their Global 3-in-1 SIM Kit + 8GB MicroSD Card + Free Mobile Phone Service on sale for $0.99 with free shipping.

Note: This subscription includes a 30-day free service trial. At the conclusion of your free trial, your service will automatically renew at the rate provided ($27.98). Cancel or downgrade at any time.

• Compatible with most unlocked GSM Phones
  • Currently only supports Android and Apple devices running Android 4.0+ and iOS 7.0+
  • Includes:

• Global GSM 3-in-1 SIM Kit (Pre-Activated)
    • Bonus 8GB MicroSD Card
    • Unlimited Talk & Text w/ 1GB data plan trial

• Free for the first month then $19.99/month

• FreedomPop Premium Plus service trial

• Free for the first month then $7.99/month

18 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Be very careful - I just had to update my credit card on file with their web site and got signed up again and charged for their $7.99 per month premium plus service immediately after going into my account billing info (roll over of the unused data up to 20 GB, some sort of enhanced text messaging, etc.)

rated:
Offer in link doesn't appear to be available in the US

rated:
I'm in US and worked. I'm going to try the service in my area. Hope it work better than the hot spot they offer, that in my area I have very little signal. .99 to test is great.

rated:
I tried FreedomPop for a couple of phones - and I detest them...i don't know why / what FW-ers keep pushing such crappy service. They have poor coverage, very deceptive practices and no matter what you do - you keep seeing one charge or another on your credit card every month...
Horrible! - folks please stay away...

rated:
gyagya said:   I tried FreedomPop for a couple of phones - and I detest them...i don't know why / what FW-ers keep pushing such crappy service. They have poor coverage, very deceptive practices and no matter what you do - you keep seeing one charge or another on your credit card every month...
Horrible! - folks please stay away...

No, you don't see one charge after another, unless you are authorizing them by not turning off the automatic top up, and exceeding your limit, not switching to the free options for minutes, data and text, or adding extra services, all of which was very clear to me..  I have 3 devices with FreedomPop and i've never seen one charge in 2 2/3 years, except the cost of purchasing the products, and for my most recent purchase, a tablet, the $5 they now require you to have in your account if you turn off the automatic top up.  Service is over Sprint 's data signal, so it works as well as that works, or if you can get it, a WIFI connection.  Where I live and various other areas I tried, including the middle of Amish country, in Pennsylvania, it worked (except in the Mojave desert), the quality ranging from okay to good.

rated:
Where's the button to delete double posts?

rated:
So what can I downgrade to? How much is on their "free" plan (or is there a free plan?)

rated:
Redbeard25 said:   So what can I downgrade to? How much is on their "free" plan (or is there a free plan?)
  Tough question.  Try downgrading to the "free" plan.  The free plans literally have the word "free" in the name.    Also remove any "Services".  If you get/got billed for the free plan then you probably forgot to remove the free trial "service".  Services are separate from plans.  Cancel both. It's also good to turn off automatic top up.  You will still want to watch your usage.
Redbeard25 said:   How much is on their "free" plan (or is there a free plan?)
Global SIM free plan = 200mb
Regular free plan = 500mb
But wait, there's more!  More data that is.  You can "earn"  an extra 50mb per "freedom friend" up to 500mb.  It's pretty simple.  There are lists of people looking for "freedom friends".  Copy and paste those into the form.  They accept your request.  You get an extra 500mb every month.
With Freedom Friends
Global SIM free plan = 700mb
Regular free plan = 1000mb

rated:
cows123 said:   Service is over Sprint 's data signal, so it works as well as that works, or if you can get it, a WIFI connection.  Where I live and various other areas I tried (including the middle of Amish country, in Pennsylvania, it worked (except in the Mojave desert), the quality ranging from okay to good.
The OP's deal is for a Global GSM SIM which uses T-Mobile and AT&T towers in the US. The original (non-Global) service uses Sprint

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
cows123 said:   Service is over Sprint 's data signal, so it works as well as that works, or if you can get it, a WIFI connection.  Where I live and various other areas I tried, including the middle of Amish country, in Pennsylvania, it worked (except in the Mojave desert), the quality ranging from okay to good.
The OP's deal is for a Global GSM SIM which uses T-Mobile and AT&T towers in the US. The original (non-Global) service uses Sprint

Thanks for clarifying that for everyone.  I kind of got off coarse regarding the topic of the global SIM, and was specifically replying to gyagya's statement regarding the couple of phones he tried, which presumes regular US service, and more specifically his assertion that "you keep seeing one charge or another".

rated:
cows123 said:   Service is over Sprint 's data signal, so it works as well as that works, or if you can get it, a WIFI connection.  Where I live and various other areas I tried, including the middle of Amish country, in Pennsylvania, it worked (except in the Mojave desert), the quality ranging from okay to good.
    You are correct but let me point out something specific.  You mentioned "data signal" rather then just "signal".  Someone that didn't read your post carefully might have glossed over that or not see why it's an important distinction.  It's important because for the purpose of FreedomPop services they will need 3g or better.  In my experience FreedomPop is completely useless on 2g.  No calls, no texts, and no data.  In my experience this applies to the GSM Global Sim that this post is about as well. FYI: A phone number can be added to the Global Sim if you want one although it's often dubbed data only SIM.  A typical non VOIP carrier is still capable of Voice,  SMS, and MMS over 2G.  In addition most traditional carriers allow for limited roaming when it comes to Voice, SMS, and MMS.  Postpaid carriers also allow data roaming so for those with a postpaid phone this will not compare to that..  FreedomPop free plan = no roaming.

rated:
giqcass said:   
    You are correct but let me point out something specific.  You mentioned "data signal" rather then just "signal".  Someone that didn't read your post carefully might have glossed over that or not see why it's an important distinction.  It's important because for the purpose of FreedomPop services they will need 3g or better.  In my experience FreedomPop is completely useless on 2g.  No calls, no texts, and no data.  In my experience this applies to the GSM Global Sim that this post is about as well. FYI: A phone number can be added to the Global Sim if you want one although it's often dubbed data only SIM.  A typical non VOIP carrier is still capable of Voice,  SMS, and MMS over 2G.  In addition most traditional carriers allow for limited roaming when it comes to Voice, SMS, and MMS.  Postpaid carriers also allow data roaming so for those with a postpaid phone this will not compare to that..  FreedomPop free plan = no roaming.

+1. Thanks for highlighting that signficant difference. Cows123 is 'technically correct' - but anyone who overlooks it - has been taken....by FreedomPop.

rated:
For a free service you cannot beat this as as long as you are careful not to go over the limits:
1. I have three off these on my and my two kids phones (Android phones Moto e2 $23 BB (ATT branded no need to unlock) and ZTE z958 $49 BB(unlocked with ATT for free before putting FreedomPop sim into the phone.)
2. Service works great (Raleigh, NC) 3 to 4 bars outside of the house (WIFI calling inside the house so no big deal)
3. Got 10 random people as friends so getting 200 MB + 500 MB + you can watch various 10 sec ads to bank 1 - 2 MB for each vidoe if you know you will be needing more MB. Plus you can share 100MB between accounts if you are running short (just one share to the account per billing period).
4. A MUST is a way to limit android so it does not suck up data when off WIFI. I have NetGuard to limit which application has Data access when off WIFI.
The last thing you want is Google Play Store to start updating all apps on the phone using data.
5. Also loaded My Data Manager to be able to see with the glimps how much MB have been used so far in the period for the data.

Again, if you drop all paid services to just basic 200 plan , this thing is really free and for occasional use (not let's watch YouTube type of use) this works great.

By the end of the month i got and just give my MB data to other random people that are in the friend list. You can give out up to 500 MB to your linked "friends" in the 20 , 50 or max 100MB transactions.

rated:
Anyways, I received my SIM CARD and generic 8GB microSD card today. Running test on the microSD and looking good. 7 MB/s write and 19 MB/s read. One I/0 error. Happens during intial testing.
Just need to do Format(using SDFormatter) and then run HW2Testw cycles for at least 3 cycles to break it in. I recommend breaking it in before using it so you don't lose valuable data.

rated:
lszyjka said:   "4. A MUST is a way to limit android so it does not suck up data when off WIFI. I have NetGuard to limit which application has Data access when off WIFI.
The last thing you want is Google Play Store to start updating all apps on the phone using data.
5. Also loaded My Data Manager to be able to see with the glimps how much MB have been used so far in the period for the data."

Great Tips.  Opera Max is True VPN and does compression.  My Data Manager is Awesome.
BTW. You could get random email friends on the other sites such as SD but not here.

rated:
this is only for unlocked GSM Phones, any good plan for a Sprint phone?

rated:
freedompoop is just a scam. Be aware.

rated:
Buvar said:   freedompoop is just a scam. Be aware.Buvar is just a troll. Be aware.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016