posted 1 month ago by
sidewinder33625
Senior Member - 3K

I've tried a lot of password managers and this is by far the best one and now the app is free to use.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2016/11/get-lastpass-everywhere-multi-...

"Im thrilled to announce that, starting today, you can use LastPass on any device, anywhere, for free. No matter where you need your passwords on your desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone you can rely on LastPass to sync them for you, for free. Anything you save to LastPass on one device is instantly available to you on any other device you use."

54 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: HOT DEALS, MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Dec. 8, 2016 @ 12:26pm
rated:
Nice, I'll have to check this out. I currently use Dashlane and love it.

rated:
I've been using LastPass for over a year now and has been great! Before this it was free to use on a PC or laptop, but charged a fee for your mobile device. There was a promo here on FW a while back where I got it free for mobile for 2+ years.

Good to hear that it is free now as I think my original subscription will run out sometime next year.

Now I wonder how they are going to generate revenue.......

rated:
Damn. I just paid the $12 on Monday.....Grrrrr.

rated:
prosperity said:   I've been using LastPass for over a year now and has been great! Before this it was free to use on a PC or laptop, but charged a fee for your mobile device. There was a promo here on FW a while back where I got it free for mobile for 2+ years.

Good to hear that it is free now as I think my original subscription will run out sometime next year.

They are still doing the $1 a month Premium option. I suspect they realized hardly anyone was paying for the mobile version.

rated:
anonguy said:   
prosperity said:   I've been using LastPass for over a year now and has been great! Before this it was free to use on a PC or laptop, but charged a fee for your mobile device. There was a promo here on FW a while back where I got it free for mobile for 2+ years.

They are still doing the $1 a month Premium option. I suspect they realized hardly anyone was paying for the mobile version.

The mobile app probably has adds since the paid version say's add free

rated:
I've always been able to use lastpass on multiple devices with the premium subscription

rated:
This is good news. I really like LastPass. Now I don't have to pay for it.

rated:
Thanks OP. I have been waiting for it.

rated:
Lastpass is the greatest...but if it is going free, how can they keep it up?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Lastpass is the greatest...but if it is going free, how can they keep it up?
Maybe they got hacked and trying to earn the goodwill before the eventual announcement?

rated:
great deal for me , nice find

rated:
Nice sharing!

rated:
Is it safe ?

rated:
klapper said:   Is it safe ?
It is controlled by the Russians!😜

rated:
tightpapa said:   
klapper said:   Is it safe ?
It is controlled by the Russians!😜

Does that make it NSA proof?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Lastpass is the greatest...but if it is going free, how can they keep it up?
They have all your passwords.

rated:
Does Lastpass make you forget your password?

rated:
One good feature is it allows you to designate someone to have access to you passwords if you die after a certain amount of time passes.

rated:
GADOM said:   One good feature is it allows you to designate someone to have access to you passwords if you die after a certain amount of time passes.

We will all die after a certain amount of time passes.

rated:
Maybe I stop using my excel spreadsheet! lol

rated:
Nice! Thanks OP,I really love Lastpass

rated:
Yes, i use it when i see it , i thought it doesn't work , but when i use it , it was awesome.

rated:
Been using LastPass for *years*. It's just great software. All you need to do is create one bombproof password and then no need to remember any others, as they're all totally random. I am a premium user; I do not recall seeing any ads when using it on my phone.

Another thing I like about it is that I can store all sorts of information in it and everything is totally encrypted.

Sweet software. Simple to the point of elegance, easy to work with.

rated:
Sweet! Now I can get rid of all the darn sticky notes pasted on my monitors!

rated:
For me the time saved with lastpass has made the $12/year easily worth it. I have several hundred unique passwords saved and I don't remember any of them. When I need my account and routing number when setting up a new payment I know exactly where to find it. Need my kids passport numbers and expiry dates? They are in an encrypted folder in lastpass. If I need to share a login I can do it with out sharing the password (the other person needs to setup a lastpass account of their own). Highly recommended at $12/year, now there are no excuses!

rated:
I stopped using it early this year when they sent a note stating some of their customer accounts were compromised!

rated:
the benefits of premium over free are:

Additional multifactor authentication options
Desktop Application Passwords
Shared Folders with customized permissions

rated:
the benefits of premium over free are:

Additional multifactor authentication options
Desktop Application Passwords
Shared Folders with customized permissions

The shared folder is great for small business or family applications where you want to share some but not all of your passwords with family or co-workers. But if you have a premium account you can share with non premium members. So for example I can share a folder of passwords with my wife, a different one with my wife and kids and a 3rd one with my secretary and only I have to have the premium account they can all have free accounts and they can create and share passwords within the folders they have free access to. This alone makes it worthwile to pay for 1 $12 per year membership.

rated:
Lastpass has been endorsed (unpaid) by a leading security expert. Read transcript here: https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm and here: https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-529.htm. The breach involved data that was salted and hashed which means the hacker only obtained garbled data that would take hundreds of years to unencrypt! Lastpass was also acquired by Logmein. I pay them $1 a month because I use it so much and can't stand ads! Taught my wife how to use it and although there were some pains, she got the hang of it. Try it out!

rated:
The only negative that I have about LastPass is it's like they designed the auto-insert password function on the phone app to do the exact opposite of what you want. Do you need it to insert a password? It will be sleeping. Come across an field that you don't want anything inserted...LastPass will be on the job annoying you every step.

rated:
SimpleCypher said:   Damn. I just paid the $12 on Monday.....Grrrrr.
I just paid $12 YESTERDAY!!

rated:
TellyTubby said:   
They have all your passwords.

True, but the alternative is you have your passwords written down somewhere (insecure and subject to getting lost or damaged) and the strength of the passwords isn't as a good since you don't want to type in a long password by hand. You are likely to have a lot more duplicate passwords without a solution like LastPass since it is harder to track different passwords for everything, whereas in LastPass that is easy. There are pros and cons to both.

rated:
I've always used Password Safe, which is free. However I don't think it's for use on mobile devices. I'll give LastPass a shot.

rated:
jigsaw1975 said:   Does Lastpass make you forget your password?
No, it makes sure you don't remember your passwords.

rated:
cyfan said:   The only negative that I have about LastPass is it's like they designed the auto-insert password function on the phone app to do the exact opposite of what you want. Do you need it to insert a password? It will be sleeping. Come across an field that you don't want anything inserted...LastPass will be on the job annoying you every step.
I've noticed that too, which requires me to have to use the Show Matching Sites -> Autofill to get it to work.

Also if you have all your passwords as randomized by Lastpass, seems you're stuck with LP, unless you want to change passwords for all those sites if you decide not to use LP. None of my passwords are random.

rated:
Is it similar to Sticky Password? I've never used LastPass.

rated:
dkong said:   Is it similar to Sticky Password? I've never used LastPass.
I'm not sure how sticky password works.

LastPass installs an extension on your browser. If the extension is logged in, then when you visit any pages that it recognizes, it auto fills (And even can progress to the next screen on occasion).
If the page isn't recognized (such as a domain change) then it tries to remember what you typed in and prompts you if you want to save.
You can also search it's Vault for any passwords. Wifi Passwords or even secure notes you make.

I don't use the app much so I can't tell you about it.

rated:
multipass

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016