• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Posted with ToGo

Garmin - nüvi 65LM - 6" - Lifetime Map Updates - Portable GPS - Black
$109.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-nuvi-65lm-6-lifetime-map-updates-portable-gps-black/4050013.p?skuId=4050013 

Garmin nüvi 65LM Portable GPS: Travel through any of the lower 49 U.S. states with ease using this portable GPS, which provides voice guidance to help you reach your destination while keeping your eyes on the road. If you get hungry or need to refuel during your trip, the Up Ahead feature shows you restaurants, gas stations and other locations on your route, so you don't need to make a detour.

Member Summary

gps (306.77kB)
Thanks Kcarlsen21
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
If you want to use a dedicated GPS to navigate, use a GPS to navigate but at least educate yourself about the phone's us... (more)

marcopolomle (Nov. 08, 2016 @ 12:12a) |

Keep it civil, folks, regardless your preference .

I did try Waze but I didn't know about its offline functionality. Lik... (more)

maxmadman (Nov. 08, 2016 @ 12:23p) |

Believe it or not, not everyone has a smart phone. My parents are in their 60's and LOVE to travel however they have sim... (more)

kearkathy (Nov. 09, 2016 @ 9:14a) |

UPDATE***11/7/16***NOW $115.99 - Still a great price!
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
What's the point of these units anymore? A cheap phone will do the same...

Waze kills this deal.. Haha

rated:

rated:
keaton85 said:   What's the point of these units anymore? A cheap phone will do the same...

So predictable, every time a GPS deal is posted some big shot comes along and gives us another excuse to use your 'cool' phone.

rated:
yacheapbastard said:   
keaton85 said:   What's the point of these units anymore? A cheap phone will do the same...

So predictable, every time a GPS deal is posted some big shot comes along and gives us another excuse to use your 'cool' phone.

This is fatwallet correct? We are here to save money, hence why I would suggest a cheap, better alternative, that will work long term. Not trying to be "cool" just thinking long term instead of short term which these units are.

rated:
$90 at Frys with promo, refurb.

rated:
doesn't a phone use data?  As a Fatwallet'er I have free phone service from Ringplus which has limits on data.  So I'm minimize data use with a GPS device. Am I wrong?

rated:
sijaz said:   doesn't a phone use data?  As a Fatwallet'er I have free phone service from Ringplus which has limits on data.  So I'm minimize data use with a GPS device. Am I wrong?
Depends on what you use.  I use a non-activated Android phone with the Here app.  It lets you download maps to the phone's local memory so that it can be used totally offline.

rated:
kimgkimg said:   
sijaz said:   doesn't a phone use data?  As a Fatwallet'er I have free phone service from Ringplus which has limits on data.  So I'm minimize data use with a GPS device. Am I wrong?
Depends on what you use.  I use a non-activated Android phone with the Here app.  It lets you download maps to the phone's local memory so that it can be used totally offline.

Google maps also supports offline use, as does Waze now although I haven't tried it.

rated:

Same concern here. I have a new Moto G4 with Ringplus service (Michelangelo). I just installed the Waze app and haven't used it yet. I guess I'll try it a few times to see how much data is used. I wouldn't mind retiring my old Garmin Nuvi.

rated:
I'm on ringplus and use Waze a lot, and my total data usage over the past few months is less then 50mbs. Waze is a very low impact app and beats any and every stand alone unit. Like stated above, plenty of apps that would never need cell service. BUT really who doesn't have a smart phone with data these days?

rated:
keaton85 said:   I'm on ringplus and use Waze a lot, and my total data usage over the past few months is less then 50mbs. Waze is a very low impact app and beats any and every stand alone unit. Like stated above, plenty of apps that would never need cell service. BUT really who doesn't have a smart phone with data these days?
I gave up using Waze. It has a lot of potentially useful functionality but the main thing it needs to do, i.e. get you from A to B, it does not do very well. Particularly in cities it's routing and update speed is atrocious. Google maps may not have all the toys, but it is a lot more reliable. I also use my Garmin 765T standalone a lot, because with T-Mobile I don't have to go too far out of town before I have no signal.

rated:
TellyTubby said:   
kimgkimg said:   

Google maps also supports offline use, as does Waze now although I haven't tried it.

From what I understand, that offline in Google map mainly use for viewing.  If you want guide, you have to start the guide before going offline.  Once offline, you cannot change your destination despite it is still within your downloaded offline map.

rated:
One may be better than the other for some, but it is also nice to have both. For whatever reason, it seems my phone doesn't want to work when I need it most when driving. So having a always dedicated unit for just GPS, one can use their phone for being a phone, or media player for me.

rated:
Has anyone tried MapFactor, CoPilot or Sygic app?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Has anyone tried MapFactor, CoPilot or Sygic app?
  Yes, yes & yes. Years ago but bad, ok & good.

Recently Here good but stopped supporting my Android version. Now Maps.Me good. And Google Maps.

All the above in offline mode.

Also have a Garmin 2757 7" LMT & wouldn't be without it.

rated:
TellyTubby said:   
kimgkimg said:   

Unless it's changed recently, you have to download the Google map area ahead of time, and it's just one metro sized area. Not good for traveling.

rated:
I am one of the dinosaurs that still have my Garmin xxl in my car.

My wife and I planned to travel the all the states as our bucket list and from my experience, there are areas that are not covered with the cell phone signal even though we have two different providers. Having a GPS is basically a safety net in case no signal on certain area.

Another reason to have dedicated GPS unit, battery life. We could have used the phones for thousands other things and then the battery is dead by the time we are ready to go hit the road. Yes, you can charge the phone in the car, but I feel like I better off charging the phone without using it as gps unit at the same time during 6-8 hours road trip.

Another reason, but I never experienced it personally, phone has been increasingly used for so many different things. If something happened to the phone, at least I will still have gps unit in my car that can take me home

rated:
Too bad it is not a LMT model. Whenever we go on road trips, we always use a dedicated GPS. Too many unknowns with using a cell phone and even if you plug it in while driving, the phone gets hot. Hot phone while charging is the number one killer of cellphone battery capacity. That's why people have to carry power banks wherever they go and the phone is "no longer portable". The only hassle that I can think of is to remove the GPS when you park otherwise you risk a break-in theft. But then, I don't think GPS units fetch as much money as they use to and the chance of theft may have gone down.

rated:
maxmadman said:   I am one of the dinosaurs that still have my Garmin xxl in my car.
I still have MIO and Omnitech GPS in my car but find "Here drive" on my $20 Nokia Lumia 521 (used solely as GPS) and recently Waze on my $20 Huawei Union (used solely as GPS) phone on free RingPlus plan to be much more useful.

Here drive is the best ever GPS app I have used so far but I am looking for alternatives since it is no longer being updated.

rated:
TrueKnight said:   Too bad it is not a LMT model. Whenever we go on road trips, we always use a dedicated GPS. Too many unknowns with using a cell phone and even if you plug it in while driving, the phone gets hot. Hot phone while charging is the number one killer of cellphone battery capacity. That's why people have to carry power banks wherever they go and the phone is "no longer portable". The only hassle that I can think of is to remove the GPS when you park otherwise you risk a break-in theft. But then, I don't think GPS units fetch as much money as they use to and the chance of theft may have gone down.
  A phone with a dedicated GPS app doesn't have an unknown anymore then a basic unit like this. Also, how does a phone get any hotter then a GPS unit? Every phone i have run as a GPS acts like normal, not overheating like you state. Maybe you are using a Samsung

Anyway, just trying to shed some light on an old technology that can be replaced for cheaper and a bit more expandability for long term. Kinda fell on def ears on this topic as it seems to be a much older generation around here then anticipated.

rated:
If you want to use a phone to navigate, use a phone to navigate. But good luck when you're depending on external mobile data, but there isn't any. This happens in many rural areas far away from towns where I am most likely to use a GPS in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Maine, etc. My Garmin works perfectly even when I'm hours away from a cell tower.

And offline maps is great, but Google maps can only download a limited area at a time. My Garmin has the entire continent, including searchable points of interest and self routing. Also good luck downloading offline Google maps in some places where it isn't allowed, like Turkey. The Garmin again worked prefectly, no international data needed at all.

rated:
If you want to use a dedicated GPS to navigate, use a GPS to navigate but at least educate yourself about the phone's use as a GPS.
There are plenty of GPS apps which can be used entirely offline which allows downloading Maps (over WiFi) of entire US or any other country. The advantage being that these Maps are updated automatically and all I paid was $20 for the phone which is acting as a dedicated GPS for me.
I have been using "Here" App for a while now and it's been great but you will never know.

rated:
Keep it civil, folks, regardless your preference .

I did try Waze but I didn't know about its offline functionality. Like I mentioned in my first post, my biggest problem with phone as gps is getting confused where to turn when I'm out of signal range. It can be dangerous.

Based on some of your comments, the offline maps on certain apps still can give turn by turn directions even without signal? I'll check those apps and have them installed as my backup system.

PS: found an app called Navmii. Installing it now for a trip in December. Anyone has experience with this app?

rated:
Believe it or not, not everyone has a smart phone. My parents are in their 60's and LOVE to travel however they have simple flip phones that they carry with them for emergency purposes only. I am in the market for a GPS this year specifically for them and my grandmother who is 80 and travels but refuses to own a cell phone.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016