posted 24 days ago by
bigbiped
Loyal Member

Sears  has the Craftsman 21'' 163cc OHV Briggs&Stratton 3-in-1 Mower ,model no.11A-B2BQ799 ,for $199.99 with free shipping.
Features:
A 725 Exi Series Briggs & Stratton 163cc engine with Just Check &Add,which prevents the need for oil changes ,and bagging,mulching ,and side discharge mowing setting.

6 Comments
Add Comment
More deals in the official Kmart & Sears $5 off $50 coupon thread.
rated:
Nice price, esp with shipping. I switched to an wired electronic mower few years ago. Much easier to start but damn cord always in the way.

rated:
The price may seem great "But dig a little deeper and see what you are getting for $200 bucks".
Seems for dozens and dozens of people it only lasts less then 5 or 6 times of using it, then it's a piece of junk.
I don't know about you guys but I like my mowers to last a few YEARS not months!!!!

rated:
I've had this mower for 1-1/2 years now and had no problems at all--it always starts the first pull. Then again, I only use ethanol-free gas in it (sometimes hard to find, depending on location), regularly check the oil level (hasn't budged), and resharpen the blade every couple of months.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I suspect some folks put dirty gas in it to start with. All bets are off in that case! Or perhaps even run the mower into a dead stop like a stump. That could easily shear the aluminum flywheel key! If so, it ain't starting after that until that key is replaced.

I had my prior push mower for over 10 years, an off-brand (Dynamark) with a 5hp B&S engine that never gave me any problems, engine-wise. Its deck finally rusted out. I always used regular gas (10% ethanol) in that mower without any problems. But I think B&S engines have become a little more finicky of late.

Note a few years ago B&S changed their engine ratings from horsepower to ft-lbs torque, which decidedly different. Ft-lbs numbers are typically bigger, but don't be fooled. My old 5hp B&S engine was definitely more powerful that this 7.25 ft-lbs torque B&S engine. It's no problem if the blade is relatively sharp, but I wouldn't want this engine on any "self propelled" mower.

Finally, I'm not a fan of the "never change the oil" idea for this newer engine--there is no drain plug under the deck! I plan to change the oil anyway in another year or so, either tipping it upside down to drain or maybe trying to siphon it out. An oil change every 3 or 4 years has worked out fine for me in the past.

As for the other parts/features of this particular mower, I'm a little concerned about all the plastic in the wheel height adjust mechanism, but so far no problems. I typically mulch, but the few times I used the grass bag I was impressed how easy it was to get off/on. Overall I'm glad I bought it, and this seems like a reasonable price--especially if you do the SYWR points thing!

rated:
UkeDoggie said:   I've had this mower for 1-1/2 years now and had no problems at all--it always starts the first pull. Then again, I only use ethanol-free gas in it (sometimes hard to find, depending on location), regularly check the oil level (hasn't budged), and resharpen the blade every couple of months.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I suspect some folks put dirty gas in it to start with. All bets are off in that case! Or perhaps even run the mower into a dead stop like a stump. That could easily shear the aluminum flywheel key! If so, it ain't starting after that until that key is replaced.

Use Star-Tron in your gas. I just used it my first time the other day, and I think it works amazing. It was explained to me that is removes the water from the ethanol that does the most harm, besides other things good things like clean the carb. It will let you store gas for up to 2 years (normally 30 days recommend I think). They make 2 bottles, 8oz & 16oz, but the 16 (treated 256 gal) is even more concentrated than the 8 (treats 48). 

I put it my mix for my backpack blower, that has worked fine over the years, but it sounded better than ever on the first use with this stuff. The next time I went to the blower (2 days later), I tried starting it without choking. BHAM! 4th pull, but it started and sounded great. I hate snake-oil, but this is going in ALL our lawn-equipment, out-door engines. 

The hardware guy did say using that pre-packaged no-ethanol fuel is the ideal way to go, but that works out to like $100 a gallon. He gave the example of only using your weed-wacker twice a year, and that would prevent problems. I would ask why you have a weed-wacker for twice a year, or at least why not a battery unit. Plenty of thing I've switch to battery, but anything with gas is getting the Star-Tron treatment.

rated:
I actually do add a tiny bit of Sta-Bil gas treatment to each gas can fill, maybe that's similar to Star-Tron, dunno. But I suspect that using only ethanol-free gas might be good enough.
Find ethanol-free gas near you using http://www.pure-gas.org/   I paid around $2.50/gal last time I think.

rated:
UkeDoggie said:   I actually do add a tiny bit of Sta-Bil gas treatment to each gas can fill, maybe that's similar to Star-Tron, dunno. But I suspect that using only ethanol-free gas might be good enough.
Find ethanol-free gas near you using http://www.pure-gas.org/   I paid around $2.50/gal last time I think.

We talked about Stabil. He said Stabil was fine when there wasn't ethanol, but it only does half the job of keeping the engine clean. It also doesn't remove the water like the Star-Tron does. I've used Stabil, and it never gave my engines a better sound to them, thats for sure.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016