• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Best Buy has the Dell Inspiron 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop w/ Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD  on sale for $349.99 with free shipping.

Deal Notes: This is part of Best Buy's "16 Deals from our Black Friday Ad Live Now " sale.  

• 15.6" (1366 x 768) Touch Screen
  • 5th Gen Intel Core i5-5200U Mobile Processor
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • Intel HD Graphics 5500

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Dec. 7, 2016 @ 10:30am
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Just beware that this is a 5th generation processor, they are already up to the 7th generation so it is 2 generations behind.

rated:
jpessin3 said:   Just beware that this is a 5th generation processor, they are already up to the 7th generation so it is 2 generations behind.
  Definitely a valid warning, but I don't think most people who are buying a $350 laptop will notice the difference as they have probably never used a 7th gen. and although it is definitely better, a laptop of this calibre is mostly an internet machine and thus people won't really notice. You are going to see bottle necks more from not having 16GB of RAM than not having the latest generation i5. 

If you were wanting top line specs or a powerhouse laptop this would not be it.  However this would make a killer internet box and handle most other things to a highly respectable degree. Most people just aren't using a laptop like this in a way that I think they would see the benefits from the 7th gen enough to even worry about it.  People who do tasks like that would be looking at much higher tier laptops and should expect to pay at minimum $500.

rated:
jpessin3 said:   Just beware that this is a 5th generation processor, they are already up to the 7th generation so it is 2 generations behind.
  I'm 45.  I'm already two generations behind in technology!

rated:
The title says 8GB RAM but the description on the page says 6GB.

Inspiron notebook. It has 6GB of RAM and an Intel Core i3 processor to handle the heaviest computing tasks, and the 1TB hard drive stores multiple digital files. This Dell Inspiron notebook uses the Intel HD Graphics 5500 video card for playing high-quality videos and games.

I am not as worried about the processor being 2 generations old. The Passmark on this one is 3477 vs 3787 for the next generation so not a significant change and one probably not noticeable by most users of this type of notebook. Put a SSD in this and it will have pretty decent performance!

rated:
wasexton said:   The title says 8GB RAM but the description on the page says 6GB.

Inspiron notebook. It has 6GB of RAM and an Intel Core i3 processor to handle the heaviest computing tasks, and the 1TB hard drive stores multiple digital files. This Dell Inspiron notebook uses the Intel HD Graphics 5500 video card for playing high-quality videos and games.

I am not as worried about the processor being 2 generations old. The Passmark on this one is 3477 vs 3787 for the next generation so not a significant change and one probably not noticeable by most users of this type of notebook. Put a SSD in this and it will have pretty decent performance!

I agree - the processor thing is not significant. I like your thinking with the SSD - that is a must (in my opinion). But the resolution is crap - were it not for the resolution, I would jump on it.

rated:
wasexton said:   The title says 8GB RAM but the description on the page says 6GB.

Inspiron notebook. It has 6GB of RAM and an Intel Core i3 processor to handle the heaviest computing tasks, and the 1TB hard drive stores multiple digital files. This Dell Inspiron notebook uses the Intel HD Graphics 5500 video card for playing high-quality videos and games.

That is a good point. I hadn't seen that in the description paragraph. I would guess that part is wrong since they have 8GB in the title and the spec sheet but hard to say. Found this "review " and it looks like the RAM amount discrepancy is not the only one. Screen shot the item page with your windows date and time in the pic just in case and they will pretty much have to take it back if it is not as described. Maybe check the outside of the box for specs before opening if it has them listed on the outside. Not sure how much companies do this anymore since people don't put the actual boxes on shelves much these days.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016