posted 22 days ago by
b100

I was strolling down the aisles of my neighborhood Grocery Outlet store in Seattle when I noticed 5 gallon buckets of Slime tire sealant for $4.99.
I don't need 5 gallons of Slime, but if I did, I am sure I would be accustomed to paying dramatically more for it. I have a half-pint of Slime in my garage that probably cost $4.99.
Does anyone out there have an ATV/motorsports shop? I think Slime is very popular in off-road applications.
I know it's a weird product to post, but it's such a screaming deal that I feel the need to try to unite the product with someone who will actually use it.

On the other hand, imagine what sort of horrible practical joke you could do with 5 gallons of fluorescent green sticky, snotty gunk.

(Grocery Outlet is a west-coast grocery store that specializes in surplus, short-date, etc products -- imagine a thrift store combined with a grocery store)

7 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
It's not nicknamed Gross Out for nothing. 

rated:
Noticed the tag says "Autozone" - must have got them from there. Often the "compare to" price Grocery Outlet quotes is a little inflated but Amazon currently has this for a little over $100.

rated:
I just got back from our local grocery outlet in California and they don't have this item. Each grocery outlet is independently owned and operated, so stock varies wildly by location.

Great store for bargains, but you just never know what you are going to find. I try to wander through regularly, and I especially keep an eye out for things to use/donate with school/scout/church groups and charities. I don't find things every trip, but often enough to keep me coming back. Note that their price on an item will generally fall if it isn't selling fast - so bargains are to be had if you are patient.

examples of bargains I have found there in the last year:
- 5 pound blocks of Velveeta cheese for $0.47 each (not per pound, per block). the boy scouts love mac and cheese,.
- cases of frozen microwaveable Pillsbury pancakes for $0.99 a case of 24 packages (four cents per package)
- 5 pound bag of rolo candies - $1.47
- Hellmans/best foods mayonaise and Miracle Whip - $0.48 per 30 ounce jar
- Oreos  in regular 14-16 ounce packages in a variety of flavors - $0.89, and single stack tubes for $0.25
- California pizza kitchen frozen pizzas - $0.47 each
- 42 oz bags of M&Ms - $1.49 each (variety of flavors)
-  3 pound boxes of sourpatch  and swedish fish candies (~240 individual bags per box) for $1.47 /box  (huge hit at the shelter)
- hershey chocolate chips and reeses chips - $0.69 a bag.
- Heinz ketchup - $0.49 per gallon can (I think it was organic). Same price for gallon jugs of L:ea & Perrins Worcester sauce.
- pop tarts $0.25 per box (12 and 16 count boxes)
- Oscar Meyer and Farmer John bacon for $0.47/pound,
- jimmy dean sausage 12 oz tubes 2 for $1.

I could go on all day (and I am sure someone will complain about the length of this post already) but it is a great store for the frugal.

A lot of their stock is excess/overage from manufacturers, cancelled orders from distributors, etc.  Some things are export labelled (spam labelled for Korea, with the English information on a sticker). It is rare to find anything that is "off spec", but it is always clearly labelled if it is (years ago I got cases of Van Camps pork and beans that were off-spec because they contained " too much pork", and cases of Campbell's chicken soup that had "too much garnish"). Some things are getting close to "sell by" dates, but not out of date.

Note that most things at grocery outlet are not in institutional sizes, so the big packages they do get tend to be very cheap.

rated:
kirbydog said:   It's not nicknamed Gross Out for nothing. 
  One neighbor also calls it the "down-and-out-let".

I love it -- they have some "dollar store" crap,  but if you are a careful shopper, you can get some great deals.

In other news, my wife asserts that sketchy plastic surgeons inject this stuff into women's bodies for low-budget boob/butt jobs, which seems horrifically dangerous.

I am tempted to go buy it and resell on Amazon, but shipping a 40+ pound package would be cost-prohibitive. Looks like they market it as a bike tire additive. I think I will call the local bike shops and let them know.

rated:
I am lucky I'm still married after some of the hauls I've brought home from Grocery Outlet.

rated:
Hold slime for too long and it grows moldy and goes bad.   

rated:
Slime has saved many a lawn tractor tire for me and I would love to be near one of these stores to get this deal. One thing to be cautious of though is if this has been sitting a while it will need to be mixed thoroughly. The larger rubber particles settle out over time and the top level of green will have nothing but small particles useless on a nail puncture. Trust me its not a fun experience being on a mower and having a stream of green guck blasting half your body with each tire revolution when the slime fails.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016