posted 21 days ago by
Xenocrates
Deal Hunter - I Deal Therefore I Am

Best Buy has the ecobee3 Smarter WiFi Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor (2nd Gen)  on sale for $199.99 with free shipping.

Deal Notes: ecobee is one of those products with consistent pricing due to manufacturer agreements. So today not only is Best Buy offering this sale price but also AmazonHome Depot, and Lowes. This is $1.00 higher than Amazon's lowest price ever according to Camelcamelcamel

• Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
  • Smart, really smart - intuitively understands when to turn on your heating or cooling equipment based on your home's unique energy profile, the weather outside, and thousands of other data points to make sure you're comfortable at all times
  • Knows you have a life - senses whether anyone's home and which rooms are occupied, delivering comfort when you're at home and saving you energy and money when you're not
  • Lowers your energy bills - ecobee saves homeowners an average of 23% annually, paying for itself in energy savings
  • Homekit-enabled Ecobee3 - the world's first homekit-enabled smart thermostat - is an evolution of our previous Ecobee3 smarter wi-fi thermostat.

ReviewCNet Rated 4.5/5 stars with 2,398 customer reviews on Amazon.

The next lowest price from a rated merchant on Google Shopping is $239.09 from Jet.com.

17 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
The real question is how does this stack up to Nest?

rated:
Just pulled the trigger, I had been waiting for this to go back on sale. Plus most local utilities offer rebates. I went back and forth between getting this and the Nest, I ended up going with the Ecobee because of the remote sensors (our house is big).

rated:
Mulox said:   The real question is how does this stack up to Nest?
As a day one Nest evangelist, I'd say it's much better. I got the $149 Smart Things bundle last week. Doesn't work with Nest (yes, IFTTT hacky integration is possible). The way I see it, Google has done nothing compelling with the Nest brand. They are just not innovating. I may switch to this Ecobee 3 today since it would be $99 after my gas company rebate. Works with Smart Things out of the box, has a remote sensor, and seems to be more supported than the Nest. I honestly regret buying the Nest. Thought it was the future, but it's shaping up to be a locked down device that Google hasn't kept up on (vs. the competition).

Yes, both are great for basic automation of heating/cooling, but the Ecobee has proven to be more open and capable, IMO. That's worth $99 to me. YMMV.

rated:
stl717 said:   Just pulled the trigger, I had been waiting for this to go back on sale. Plus most local utilities offer rebates. I went back and forth between getting this and the Nest, I ended up going with the Ecobee because of the remote sensors (our house is big).

this is a 100 dollar rebate from the local utility in Utah.

others states YMMV

rated:
I have a big house, so the multiple sensors make a more compelling case for me. Other advantages I see over Nest are:
No battery needed
Control via Amazon Alexa

My power company is currently offering $100 rebate for programmable thermostats, so that helps. But I have a sep. HVAC unit for the top floor, so looks like I have to buy 2 of these?
It does not look like any solution (Nest or other) currently has real integrated multi-HVAC support (ex. one app, one view)... unless I am missing something?

rated:
I am finding it harder to come up with disadvantages of this system.  The only complaint I have found so far is connection loss of the sensors, due to it being 900 Mhz and not 2.4 Ghz like Nest.

rated:
coolbreeze said:   
As a day one Nest evangelist, I'd say it's much better. I got the $149 Smart Things bundle last week. Doesn't work with Nest (yes, IFTTT hacky integration is possible). The way I see it, Google has done nothing compelling with the Nest brand. They are just not innovating. I may switch to this Ecobee 3 today since it would be $99 after my gas company rebate. Works with Smart Things out of the box, has a remote sensor, and seems to be more supported than the Nest. I honestly regret buying the Nest. Thought it was the future, but it's shaping up to be a locked down device that Google hasn't kept up on (vs. the competition).

Yes, both are great for basic automation of heating/cooling, but the Ecobee has proven to be more open and capable, IMO. That's worth $99 to me. YMMV.

What else is there for a thermostat to do? What new functions can it need? Just curious. What will this Ecobee do differntly? 

rated:
Mulox said:   I have a big house, so the multiple sensors make a more compelling case for me. Other advantages I see over Nest are:
No battery needed
Control via Amazon Alexa

My power company is currently offering $100 rebate for programmable thermostats, so that helps. But I have a sep. HVAC unit for the top floor, so looks like I have to buy 2 of these?
It does not look like any solution (Nest or other) currently has real integrated multi-HVAC support (ex. one app, one view)... unless I am missing something?

Alexa can change the temperature on the Nest just in case you didn't know that was possible. 
Nest doesn't need a battery either -- that is to say there is one in the Nest in case of power outages etc. It will retain your info. 
The Ecobee sensors tell the thermostat that a room is colder or hotter than others I assume. That, to me, means if you don't have a zoned system and one area is off temperature while another is on temp the ecobee will run the HVAC making the issue worse. That is to say that if the main room is set to 70 and the temp in that room is 70 the HVAC will turn off. But if the back bedroom is at 68 the Ecobee will run the HVAC until that room meets 70 degrees. This means that the main room will be 72 degrees most likely. Is that how it works? 

rated:
I'm not to savy on these but isn't this the same thing from Lowes  ecobee Black Homekit Enabled E3 Thermostat with Built-in Wifi.   If so it is also $199.00.  Find something else to buy bringing your total up to $250 + and use Lowes $50 off $250 coupon.  Maybe one of these   -  Shark Pro Steam and Spray 0.12-Gallon Steam Mop from Lowes for $59.00 (normally $129.00).  Mop is then basically free.  If not this it shouldn't be too hard to find something else for $51.00. Coupons available on eBay if no where else 

rated:
zapy said:   
coolbreeze said:   

What else is there for a thermostat to do? What new functions can it need? Just curious. What will this Ecobee do differntly? 

Pretty much zones and smart-home compatibility for me. But you've made your mind up on zones, so the Nest is fine for your use-case. You're right, they are just there to turn heat/cool on/off, really. I passed on the Ecobee. It's a good price post-rebate, but my Nest is fine. 1st world problem for sure.

rated:
 If you live in Illinois and are ComEd customer, you can buy it directly from   ComEd Marketplace for $99.50 shipped free. (After instant rebate instead of mail-in for ComEd customers).
If you also have Nicor as your gas company, you can get additional $50 mail-in rebate making final price $50.

https://nicorgasrebates.com/your-home/rebates-for-home 

rated:
To receive the Nicor rebate, appears you must have the device installed by a contractor.

rated:
zapy said:   
Mulox said:   I have a big house, so the multiple sensors make a more compelling case for me. Other advantages I see over Nest are:
No battery needed
Control via Amazon Alexa

Alexa can change the temperature on the Nest just in case you didn't know that was possible. 
Nest doesn't need a battery either -- that is to say there is one in the Nest in case of power outages etc. It will retain your info. 
The Ecobee sensors tell the thermostat that a room is colder or hotter than others I assume. That, to me, means if you don't have a zoned system and one area is off temperature while another is on temp the ecobee will run the HVAC making the issue worse. That is to say that if the main room is set to 70 and the temp in that room is 70 the HVAC will turn off. But if the back bedroom is at 68 the Ecobee will run the HVAC until that room meets 70 degrees. This means that the main room will be 72 degrees most likely. Is that how it works? 

You can have the Ecobee use different sensors for different times of day. We use the bedroom temperature while we're sleeping and the thermostat (middle of the house) temperature for the rest of the day. Works great.

You can also have the Ecobee average the temp across all the sensors.

The only issue I have had is that 2 or 3 times over the past year, the thermostat has lost wi-fi connectivity and I've had to reconnect from the thermostat. Not that big a deal, but if it was a vacation home, that would be painful.

rated:
Thanks for sharing the feedback, appreciate it.
I was able to get a brand new Nest3 for $160 shipped ($60 after my elec company rebate) and I also picked up this Ecobee3 with 2 sensors for $170 shipped.
So now comes the "bake-off" and head to head comparison!
I plan to put one on the main floor HVAC and the other on the 2nd floor HVAC... any ideas on which to put where?

Main floor has about 3,000 sq ft and a 30 year-old HVAC unit that really sucks.
The master is on the main floor too and the issue I have right now is with the heat running and the master bed door closed, it becomes a sauna in there (while the rest of the main floor is normal)
If I adjust the temp 1 degree colder to prevent the sauna effect, the rest of the main floor becomes an ice box, especially the living room which has a vaulted ceiling.

2nd floor has about 1,500 sq ft and a 10-year old HVAC unit and 4 rooms (3 bedrooms and a game/rec room).

rated:
yyyfak1 said: To receive the Nicor rebate, appears you must have the device installed by a contractor.

Not required for thermostats. On rebate form there is a box "I installed the thermostat myself" which you check instead of entering contractor's information. I did it in the past and received my rebate.

rated:
This is a good deal!!

rated:
Thanks....I will do that.  Also, if you are a ComEd customer in Illinois, you can purchase the device directly from them (for $100.)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016