Avatar
posted 19 days ago by
wishbone
Senior Member

Red Pocket on eBay has dropped the 1 year prepaid plan to $150 again this year. It was this price last year. about this time. Not sure if it can be used to renew an existing account for another year or not.  Red Pocket   Main web site 

4128 Views
39 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Dec. 11, 2016 @ 2:20am
rated:
Way to go WB, I've been waiting on this and even checked the eBay store earlier today! Last year was $159. Customer service chat said cards don't expire. Assuming I can toss the sim cards and just add the year of service to existing accounts. THANKS!!!

From eBay store: 
*Our service will work with nearly any unlocked, GSM or CDMA device as long as your wireless contract has ended and your account is in good standing with your previous carrier (e.g., current on payments, etc.). Please make sure you are using the Red Pocket SIM cards from your Starter Kit to avoid any issues. If you are an existing Red Pocket customer or using a Sprint or other non-LTE CDMA device, you do not need to use the Starter Kit SIM cards. After you receive your activation code via email, simply activate your phone at myeasyactivation.com =10px !

rated:
Great find OP. I've  been with Red Pocket  the last year since the $159  promo & thought I'd be switching. Red Pocket service has been fine so I just bought the 1 year prepaid plan. $12.50/month for  the 1000min./texts & 500mb data is great for us  lower  use  folks.

rated:
Thanks wishbone & tyguide. I renewed my RedPocket plan for the second year. Its great if your data needs are not more than 512mb/mth.

rated:
oradbatic said:   Thanks wishbone & tyguide. I renewed my RedPocket plan for the second year. Its great if your data needs are not more than 512mb/mth.
  You should get 1000 MB of data per month. What would happen if you go over 512 MB?

rated:
littleswallow said:   
oradbatic said:   Thanks wishbone & tyguide. I renewed my RedPocket plan for the second year. Its great if your data needs are not more than 512mb/mth.
  You should get 1000 MB of data per month. What would happen if you go over 512 MB?

  Plan states 1000mb I think 500 at high speed and then the remainder at slower speeds.

rated:
512gb at 4g and the rest at slower speeds. Once you have crossed 512mb, it will be crawling. You can refill your account if you need more data.

Also check out Boom Mobile if you need more data:

Prepaid Unlimited Talk and Text with 1GB of 4G LTE Data $24.99/mth

rated:
Can you load multiple years at a time?  Meaning if I buy 2 now, can I load both now and have 2 years of service?

rated:
johnnybs said:   Can you load multiple years at a time?  Meaning if I buy 2 now, can I load both now and have 2 years of service?Unless they have changed since September 2016, NO.
Short answer - NO 
Long answer, keep reading ....
My yearly service expired in 9-7-2016. I purchased a replacement (same 1 Year service plan) in late August 2016 and applied (activated) 9-7-2016, a week before my service ended.
I checked my account about a hour later and noticed it changed my new service year to September 7, losing a week of my old service time. I called Red Pocket and she stated
they have no mechanism to managed "Reserve" plans, example Straight Talk which allows loading service before expiration. Said she would move it up to management for consideration. Next day I reviewed my account and
Red Pocket adjusted my all my service values to reflect the lost week AND pushed yearly service end date back to 9-14-2017.
POSSIBLE a different solution ... purchase today at $149 and activate service card on the day your plan expires in the future. For me that would require me to sit on service card for 10 months ... that's could be another can of worms.
I think I will call them, maybe they upgraded their system to allow (Stacking / Reserve) over 1 year of service automatically.
 

rated:
I've had it for almost a year & no MMS or group messaging. I have iphone 6s. Won't be jumping on again

rated:
awesome, jumped on this last year for two phones, been happy with it and was hoping to see the same deal again this year

thanks!

rated:
akbrush said:   I've had it for almost a year & no MMS or group messaging. I have iphone 6s. Won't be jumping on again
  When I purchased my first yearly prepaid service (Sept 2016) I could send, but could not receive texts / MMS. I contacted Red Pocket and the issue was corrected within a couple of hours.
Did you contact Red Pocket ... if yes, did they explain why they could not provide MMS or group messages?
My dealings with Red Pocket ( two different issues) always concluded with satisfactory results.

rated:
akbrush said:   I've had it for almost a year & no MMS or group messaging. I have iphone 6s. Won't be jumping on again
  
I noticed with my phone (Moto X 2nd generation) that I have to have mobile data turned on for these to work.  However, when I got a Galaxy S5, I no longer had to do that.  Just a thought.....

rated:
Has anyone been able to get Android system updates through Red Pocket? I know my phone is eligible, but it says none are available.

rated:
yourpal said:   Has anyone been able to get Android system updates through Red Pocket? I know my phone is eligible, but it says none are available.
  Have you tried both data or WiFi connection.
I have my updates set to WiFi only, works fine

rated:
Is anyone using this deal on Verizon towers? If I remember correctly Red pocket supports various systems.

EDIT: I think I answered my own question here.  It appears they give you 3 SIM cards.  1 for each network.
EDIT2: Verizon seems to be one of them as long as the following is correct.
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/09/red-pocket-now-selling-o...

rated:
In my area Verizon towers are working great with Red Pocket.

rated:
no problems with android updates , set them to wifi.

rated:
Can I use a AT&T Phone 7 with the Verizon SIM?

rated:
How does this multi network thing work? Suppose I've got a Verizon phone and an AT&T phone... do I have to permanently pick which one I'm going to use, or can I hop from one to the next? Suppose I live some place where AT&T works best, but I'm going to be on vacation where the only signal is VZW... can I decommission the home phone and activate the vacation phone for that month?

rated:
You activate the service to one sim, I am not sure how complicated it would be to switch activation to another sim, but it would certainly take a call to customer service any time you would want to switch sims and they would have to deactivate the old sim and then activate you on a new one.

I imagine it's possible, but I would not want to go through the hassle.

Call them and ask, their CS is pretty quick

rated:
Which carrier does Red Pocket work with?

AT&T and Verizon?

rated:
Is this something that can be bought now, but not activated until some later time? Sounds pretty tempting. Thanks for any info, and for the post!

rated:
Ignatzs said:   Is this something that can be bought now, but not activated until some later time? Sounds pretty tempting. Thanks for any info, and for the post!
  From what I understand you could buy now and activate later but might be a good idea to contact them via chat or call to make sure.

rated:
BWS said:   Which carrier does Red Pocket work with?

AT&T and Verizon?

  AT&T, Verizon, Sprint

rated:
bhoup said:   
BWS said:   Which carrier does Red Pocket work with?

AT&T and Verizon?

  AT&T, Verizon, Sprint

  All 4, they also do TMobile.  

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
bhoup said:   
BWS said:   Which carrier does Red Pocket work with?

AT&T and Verizon?

  AT&T, Verizon, Sprint

  All 4, they also do TMobile.  

  For an unknown reason, Red Pocket is not allowed to mention Verizon in their ads.

rated:
I have a Red Pocket SIM card which works with my Verizon phone which only works on Verizon's network. Unfortunately, with Red Pocket, I cannot get Android updates -- none of them, security or otherwise, no matter that I am connected to Wi-Fi. Given that phones are used for 2 factor authentication, this is a troubling concern.
 

rated:
yourpal said:   I have a Red Pocket SIM card which works with my Verizon phone which only works on Verizon's network. Unfortunately, with Red Pocket, I cannot get Android updates -- none of them, security or otherwise, no matter that I am connected to Wi-Fi. Given that phones are used for 2 factor authentication, this is a troubling concern.
  That's odd.  I just got a security update two days ago and I use the Verizon towers.  

rated:
I picked one up. This is my second year, using AT&T service on Red Pocket. I got it at $160 last year just about the same time. When I saw the usual $200 plan dropped to $150, I jumped on it. I haven't had any issues with the plan for the last 11 months. Great deal for those who don't need a lot of voice/data.

rated:
Red Pocket Mobile is actually on all four (4) of the nations leading networks!

rated:
Use the promo code at this link to get $15 off until 6 PM PST tonight.

https://twitter.com/eBayDeals/status/803010730458894338

rated:
Thanks for the reply.  I contacted RP and they said only good for 30 days from purchase for activation, and yet another attempt said 90.  I don't know who to believe.  Not need it for a few months, so looks like I'll have to pass.  Seems like a great deal though!

rated:
kbarela said:   Use the promo code at this link to get $15 off until 6 PM PST tonight.

https://twitter.com/eBayDeals/status/803010730458894338

  
Damn, wish I saw that.  I bought as soon as the price dropped as I don't know how long the $150 deal would last.

rated:
bluechipwi said:   
johnnybs said:   Can you load multiple years at a time?  Meaning if I buy 2 now, can I load both now and have 2 years of service?Unless they have changed since September 2016, NO.
Short answer - NO 
Long answer, keep reading ....
My yearly service expired in 9-7-2016. I purchased a replacement (same 1 Year service plan) in late August 2016 and applied (activated) 9-7-2016, a week before my service ended.
I checked my account about a hour later and noticed it changed my new service year to September 7, losing a week of my old service time. I called Red Pocket and she stated
they have no mechanism to managed "Reserve" plans, example Straight Talk which allows loading service before expiration. Said she would move it up to management for consideration. Next day I reviewed my account and
Red Pocket adjusted my all my service values to reflect the lost week AND pushed yearly service end date back to 9-14-2017.
POSSIBLE a different solution ... purchase today at $149 and activate service card on the day your plan expires in the future. For me that would require me to sit on service card for 10 months ... that's could be another can of worms.
I think I will call them, maybe they upgraded their system to allow (Stacking / Reserve) over 1 year of service automatically.

  I called Red Pocket today and extended my current Red Pocket service for another year, from October 1, 2017 to October 1, 2018.

rated:
for those on redpocket
How is GSMA service, if that's what your using-speed wise?

Any problems porting a number into them

rated:
bluechipwi said:   
johnnybs said:   Can you load multiple years at a time?  Meaning if I buy 2 now, can I load both now and have 2 years of service?Unless they have changed since September 2016, NO.
Short answer - NO 
Long answer, keep reading ....
My yearly service expired in 9-7-2016. I purchased a replacement (same 1 Year service plan) in late August 2016 and applied (activated) 9-7-2016, a week before my service ended.
I checked my account about a hour later and noticed it changed my new service year to September 7, losing a week of my old service time. I called Red Pocket and she stated
they have no mechanism to managed "Reserve" plans, example Straight Talk which allows loading service before expiration. Said she would move it up to management for consideration. Next day I reviewed my account and
Red Pocket adjusted my all my service values to reflect the lost week AND pushed yearly service end date back to 9-14-2017.
POSSIBLE a different solution ... purchase today at $149 and activate service card on the day your plan expires in the future. For me that would require me to sit on service card for 10 months ... that's could be another can of worms.
I think I will call them, maybe they upgraded their system to allow (Stacking / Reserve) over 1 year of service automatically.

  Where did you check your service end date?  When I log into their system (https://my.redpocketmobile.com), it only shows me the remaining amounts for the current month.  I did online chat and was told that the activation code that I applied to my account would automatically give me another year of service once my current annual plan is up, which is mid-December. 

rated:
bhoup said:   
yourpal said:   I have a Red Pocket SIM card which works with my Verizon phone which only works on Verizon's network. Unfortunately, with Red Pocket, I cannot get Android updates -- none of them, security or otherwise, no matter that I am connected to Wi-Fi. Given that phones are used for 2 factor authentication, this is a troubling concern.
  That's odd.  I just got a security update two days ago and I use the Verizon towers.  

  I just found out how to update. Downloaded Samsung Kies3 (for my Samsung phone) and it updated. Whew! Operator error. My bad. Red Pocket has provided me with good service. No problem on their end. I Recommend them for the price.

rated:
How fast is the slow-speed data on Verizon? The website mentions 64-128kbps but doesn't differentiate by carrier, and a chat with customer support didn't get me the info I needed.

Also, does VoLTE work with Verizon? Anybody try activating Wi-Fi calling on iPhone?

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016