https://smile.amazon.com/KHE-Bikes-Equilibrium-Bicycle-20-Inch/dp/B00QGPPFZ8/ 
https://smile.amazon.com/KHE-Bikes-Equilibrium-Bicycle-20-Inch/dp/B00QGPPGM0/ 

Equilibrium 2:
Sale: $157.89
Reg: $299
Frame/Fork: Hi-Ten Steel frame and fork with 19.5 inch Top Tube
Wheels/Tires: KHE 2.35 tires and aluminum heavy duty rims
Drivetrain: KMC Z410 Chain, One Piece 170 mm Crank with 28 Teeth
Brakes/Cockpit: 4 Bolt Aluminum Stem, Steel Rear U-Brake, Steel Handlebar, KHE Platform Nylon Pedal, KHE Saddle
Extras: Affix Gyro System and 2 pegs
Weight: 26 lbs.

Equilibrium 3:
Sale: $185.20
Reg: $339
Frame/Fork: Hi-Ten Steel frame and fork with 19.5 inch Top Tube
Wheels/Tires: KHE 2.35 tires and aluminum heavy duty rims
Drivetrain: KMC Z410 Chain, 3 Piece with sealed bearings 170 mm Crank with 25 Teeth
Brakes/Cockpit: 4 Bolt Promax Aluminum Stem, Steel Rear U-Brake, Steel Handlebar, KHE MVP Platform Nylon Pedal, KHE Saddle
Extras: Affix Gyro System and 2 pegs
Weight: 26 lbs.

I know a lot of people are looking for bikes this Christmas like I was, and I found a really slick deal on a seriously good bike, so I figured I'd pass it along to everyone else.  

I just bought a bike for my 9 1/2 year old son.  It was a long and hard search for something that was made well, used good name brand parts, and would last a long time.  Check out the KHE Equilibrium 2 and 3 that are on both WalMart. com and Amazon 's websites.  The price is the same so you're making the choice between not paying taxes (Most people) and getting 2-day Prime shipping in a generic Amazon box (This will not only keep your kid from guessing what was delivered, but will keep the box from being abused by the delivery company!), and having someone do the assembly for you.

I went with the Equilibrium 3 because it has a 3-piece crank vs the 1-piece crank of the Equilibrium 2.  That's appears to be the real difference between the two bikes, and everything I read showed that to be well worth the $28 price difference between the two.  Both bikes weigh a whole lot less than the crap bikes you'll find on the shelves of the big box stores, and are half the cost of what you'd pay for this level of bike at a specialty bike shop, where they are normally sold.

*UPDATE: Both bikes are back in stock on Amazon!

At this time, both bikes are on backorder via Amazon.  I pre-ordered an Equilibrium 3 so it will ship as soon as they are back in stock.  I actually talked to the distributor of the bike on the phone while trying to figure out what the differences were between the two models, and they have plenty of both in stock, so Amazon will definitely be getting more of both models soon.

Yes, these are more expensive than the el cheapo $50-100 big box bikes, but you really are getting a $300-330 entry level 20" BMX bike from a well respected manufacturer and innovator in the sport that will last for many many years, and is even appropriate for high school and college kids.  Plus, since the bike is absolutely designed to be upgradable, you and your child can upgrade it with higher end parts, including the frame, from any BMX manufacturer.

I hope this helps!

Member Summary
About us - The KHEbikes story

The KHEbikes story.

KHEbikes was founded in 1988 by brothers, Thomas and Wolfgang Göring.

In the past 28 years we've invented many progressive BMX parts, now considered standard within the industry.

Multiple butted handlebars
Folding Freestyle tires
Welded U-Pivots on Freestyle forks
Externally Adjustable Freecoaster hubs (without any need to partially disassemble the hub)
First Freecoaster hubs with sealed bearings
First Freestyle seat/post combo
25/9 gearing on beginner bikes (KHE 'Barbados' Model)
We are always looking at how we can reduce the weight of our bikes.

Our inventions like the butted handlebar, folding tires and combo seat/posts affect the weight of the complete bikes massively!

From 2015, we've decided to offer the KHE products direct to our customers.

Our passion is to offer bikes and parts of the best quality, for the best possible prices!

KHEbikes for more than 25 years - From riders, to riders.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I've been shopping for a BMX bike for my kid for a week and have been checking FatWallet regularly for any updates, so thanks. However, I'm not exactly a fan of these bikes, but then again, I don't know too much about new school bikes. I know I'm not really liking the HI-TEN steel frame. It's very durable, but quite heavy. There are better materials out there, like chromoly or aluminum. The shipping weight for these bikes is 37 to 39 lbs.
I've been checking out CULT Biks and We The People Bikes. Why this brand of bike?

rated:
marshmellobbq said:   I've been shopping for a BMX bike for my kid for a week and have been checking FatWallet regularly for any updates, so thanks. However, I'm not exactly a fan of these bikes, but then again, I don't know too much about new school bikes. I know I'm not really liking the HI-TEN steel frame. It's very durable, but quite heavy. There are better materials out there, like chromoly or aluminum. The shipping weight for these bikes is 37 to 39 lbs.
I've been checking out CULT Biks and We The People Bikes. Why this brand of bike?

These two bikes each weigh 26 lbs.  Shipping weight includes all of the packaging, etc.

For me there were also budgetary issues.  These two bikes are equivalent to the $300-350 entry level bikes from those two manufacturers.  The Afix Gyro feature is actually really cool, and not something you're going to find in most $300 BMX bikes, let alone the cheap big box bikes.  If you're wanting a chromoly frame, then you're looking at a $500+ bike easily.  No one makes BMX bikes with aluminum frames, as they aren't strong enough.  So you're looking at high tensile steel frames (Not the same as the heavy steel frames used in cheap big box bikes!) for all of the entry level BMX bikes, and then chromoly frames for the pro level BMX bikes.  There is a HUGE price jump going to chomoly.

rated:
I like your insight.   
I searched a few aluminum bikes on-line and generally find out that they're really steel, or hi-ten steel.  Do you know anything about 6061 alloy frame (6061 Aluminum)?  I found this one on-line from SE Bikes (remember the old PK Rippers?)
https://smile.amazon.com/SE-Bicycles-Bronco-Bicycle-Black/dp/B01...

http://www.sebikes.com/bikes/cat/kids-series/bronco-20

I went to Toys R Us yesterday and there were many Mongoose bikes, for under $100.

rated:
I honestly know nothing about that particular SE bike. I know that their $300 bikes on Amazon are in the same quality range as the KHE's.

The Mongoose bikes are just crappy big box store bikes. The KHE's are way better.

rated:
Update: Both bikes are now back in stock at Amazon!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016