• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Important Info

Dear Members,

My apologies for not addressing you earlier. I know many of you expected me to comment sooner.

While my team and I have finished long negotiations with different parties, other negotiations are still ongoing. Those negotiations are protected under nondisclosure agreements and, therefore, cannot be shared with our Members. We apologize for this circumstance as it seems to go against our mission as an open and free-spirited telecom community. Please rest assured that my team and I always try to negotiate in the best interests of all our Members.

Lets start with the facts:

1)     RingPlus is switching technology. We must do so because of technological reasons of which we have been made aware.

2)     RingPlus is developing new technologies (including a Smart and VoIP Dialer applications) to replace the decommissioned technologies. The new technologies will be available soon. However, they are not yet ready.

3)     As a result of the technology switch, we are now sure that we will have to move everyone to a “Mad” plan because we cannot run both technologies at the same time (we had expected to be able to run both up until now).

4)     In addition, RingPlus has missed its projected Member growth over the past two quarters, leaving us with less than 120,000 Members. A minimum of 500,000 Members is necessary to gain the advertisement revenue predicted to reach the break-even level.

The actions we are required to take now:

1)   We are in the final stages of our negotiation with other MVNOs (sorry, names are confidential) which will introduce our in-call radio and ad platform to their subscribers. This combined volume of audience will bring us well over the 500,000 Member mark (closer to over a million Members), which will allow the advertisement system to generate enough money to sustain Free Plans on which you currently (or have) been activated. 

2)   We must change technology. The technological change will not only reduce the in-call latency that many Members experience, but will also offer a platform agnostic version of our in-call apps, radio station, and advertisement platform. The platform and carrier agnostic (CDMA-VoIP-SIM) versions of our in-call applications & RingBack Tone Radio Stations are a pre-requisite to bring other MVNOs and VoIP carriers on board as well as to overcome the unforeseen technological problem.

3)   We now offer the lowest-cost, self-sustainable paid cell plans in the industry which give all of our current Members a safe choice, and attracts new Members.

4)   Due to the fact that we have not been able to increase the audience to the required threshold of 500,000 Members or above, we had to agree to adjust the free plan allotment closer to our competitors. RingPlus is still leading in its allotments of free service.

5) With the launch of the application and its availability on other MVNO’s and carriers, we will not only return to, but supersede, the prior level of free plan allotments as the combined subscriber level is now large enough.

6) I understand your disappointment as every one hoped for better allotments and that plans will stay forever and only change for the better. Multiple unforeseeable market conditions outside of our control and other circumstances caused from third parties required us to reallocate funds, including funds from marketing efforts, multiple times, ending in the sad result that we did not achieve our goal. Based on our negotiations with all involved parties and future partners, we came to the conclusion that this outlined course will be the only solution for our Members which will allow the continued offering of free plans without any interruptions during the system switch.

7) In the meantime, RingPlus is asking all Members on affected plans to change to our alternate technology currently available. This technology is in operation, and routes all wireless phone services directly over the Sprint Nationwide Network. However, this technology does not offer RingPlus the possibility to provide the discounted plans with high allotments supported by playing interactive sponsored content to you (e.g., advertisements and music) which RingPlus was previously able to offer you.

8) Sadly, it was communicated to us today that it is not possible to further sustain the high allotment plans until the combined audience threshold of 500,000 is reached. Starting December 1, 2016, all Plans that are not Mad Plans will not renew at the end of their billing cycle. Members can change to any of the currently offered plans from our website. For Members whose plans were not renewed, we will offer the possibility of a 7-day Holding Plan. All Members whose plans are set to renew on or after December 1, 2016, will automatically be switched to the 7-day Holding Plan at the end of their billing cycle. The end result will be that all non-Mad Plans will be discontinued by January 1, 2017, which will give our IT department the possibility to switch to the new system, and to start the combined offering with our future partners as soon as possible. This quick action is required based on negotiations with 3rd parties. Once the new technology is launched, RingPlus will once again be able to offer discounted plans with high allotments supported by playing interactive sponsored content to you (e.g., advertisements and music).

Additional information: 

1)     The free temporary holding plan will have limited allotments of 200 minutes, 200 texts, 200 MMS, and 200 MB LTE (full speed). Please note that overages will not be possible on the free temporary holding plan (e.g., if you use all of your allotment of data, it will just stop) so that there will not be any surprise overages.

2)    For those Members with feature phones, we are in negotiations for a solution. Until a solution is found, they are welcome to use the CDMA portion of the voice minutes without the requirement of downloading an application or dialer. 

3)    Of course, when a plan is changed, the top up balance will remain intact. For details on each plan, please see the plan’s details on RingPlus Social.

4)     You will still have access to your current voicemail system while you are on the free temporary holding plan. Please note that the currently available plans (other than the free temporary holding plan) will have a new voicemail system.

5)     In call applications will not be available on our currently offered plans until our new technology (including a Smart and VoIP Dialer applications) will be offered. If you chose to switch to one of our lowest priced paid plans in the U.S. currently offered on our website, you will be able to download the dialers when they become available (to be able to get the new series of plans supported by the new technology to provide the discounted plans with high allotments supported by playing interactive sponsored content to you (e.g., advertisements and music)).

6)      Phone Swaps will be free starting Wensday until further notice

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience, understanding and support.

RingPlus will continue to offer new promotions throughout this technology transition, and we will update you about the development of our new technologies.

We look forward to the great future free and paid plan offerings (as well as the added functionalities) that will be possible with our new technologies, and we hope you do, too.

Best Regards,

Karl Seelig

RingPlus, CEO

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Dec. 10, 2016 @ 8:30pm
Member Summary

Ringplus (7.25kB)
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I had the same issue for my moto e. I contacted support, and they pushed through an OTA update, and that fixed it for me... (more)

etothex (Dec. 10, 2016 @ 3:10p) |

They pushed one for me, it didn't do it.  They haven't answered the ticket since then.

LorenPechtel (Dec. 10, 2016 @ 7:42p) |

thanks rep

klopmaass (Dec. 10, 2016 @ 8:15p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I have a ring plus phone for one of my kids to use for emergencies. It was a free plan with a $25 top off with 3200/3200 minutes texts . Does this mean the phone will be turned off on dec. 1st? I have no clue what a MAD plan is.

rated:
Boy I am I confused, which means explaining this to family members will be even better. So are most R+ people going to need new phones? if so, there's the end...

rated:
much better info will be found on the other Deal Site. they have all the ring+ shills working there since day one.

rated:
https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/9288/important-info

Here people are discussing what all this means. 

rated:
sisterbear30 said:   I have a ring plus phone for one of my kids to use for emergencies. It was a free plan with a $25 top off with 3200/3200 minutes texts . Does this mean the phone will be turned off on dec. 1st? I have no clue what a MAD plan is.
  essentially you will have to go down to 200/200 plan to stay free.

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   Boy I am I confused, which means explaining this to family members will be even better. So are most R+ people going to need new phones? if so, there's the end...
   No new phones needed... Just have to switch to a new plan.

rated:
Good thing I just got the two free lines offered by T-Mobile for my two kids which were using the ring+ phones. I know this was not going to last.

rated:
"The end result will be that all non-Mad Plans will be discontinued by January 1, 2017, which will give our IT department the possibility to switch to the new system, and to start the combined offering with our future partners as soon as possible. This quick action is required based on negotiations with 3rd parties. Once the new technology is launched, RingPlus will once again be able to offer discounted plans with high allotments supported by playing interactive sponsored content to you (e.g., advertisements and music)."

What this all means that if you had a paid Plan, is now gone, no more large amount of air time and data time for us. They are pushing every one to the old free plans with new names. So that later they can offer again, high amount of data and air time for you to buy again. This is for them not to go out business with none paying costumers like us.

rated:
sisterbear30 said:   I have a ring plus phone for one of my kids to use for emergencies. It was a free plan with a $25 top off with 3200/3200 minutes texts . Does this mean the phone will be turned off on dec. 1st? I have no clue what a MAD plan is.
No, the phone service will not be turned off on Dec 1st.
You can switch to any of the available Mad plans including the FREE Mad Pops Upgrade or Mad Plum Upgrade without paying any upgrade/activation fee.
Just sign into your RingPlus account and click on "Upgrade" at right upper corner and follow the steps.

rated:
Thanks OP - and (continued) best of luck!!

rated:
The biggest turn off would be, if i understand right, no more real phones - you have to use a voip app
I've used voip app from FreedomPop and various places for a long time, it sucks! your phone dont always ring because your app get swapped to the background
and you can't call from bluetooth in your car because it is not a real phone and you are at the mercy of your data connection

I've only been on r+ for less than 3 months, I am so disappointed

rated:
How do I migrate my R+ number to another provider?

rated:
My "Truly Free 2" plan for my emergency flip-phone is ending. I don't see another free plan that doesn't require me to pay them something.

rated:

rated:
So if we all would have signed up for 10 or 15 more phones we don't use he could hit 500k users.

rated:
Until they get a pricing structure that more closely matches traditional carriers they're never going to attract average users. Enthusiasts and tinkerers are fine; but you need average americans who want things to "just work."

While I partly appreciate Karl's transparency it also makes the entire company seem like one big experiment. The number of plans they had on offer was ridiculous 6 months ago; it continued to be ridiculous. This new change will either simplify everything or mean the end of R+.

Either way their business plan seemed/seems so pre-y2k .com bubble; Offer something that's usually paid for free. It was fun to watch them navigate a changing FED policy and come up with interesting ideas seemingly by the seat of their pants. Sadly, even though they were offering plans for free that competed with $20-$30 a month plans they have only attracted 25,000 people; that's a terrible testament to how bad their service really is.

rated:
My Truly Committed free plan just renewed today. Should I wait till a few days prior to renewal in December to switch to Mad Plum plan or is it better to switch now? Why lose my quota if there is no distinct advantage in switching now versus in December.

rated:
It would be sad to see them go, since the user interface is excellent! I wish other MNVO providers had half as good of an interface as ring+ does. Ever seen Puppy wireless user interface? It's extremely sad in contrast to ring+.

Due to poor call quality, I had to port out of ring+ just this week. Very sad to leave such an excellent service that could be really great if done correctly. We will see!

rated:
Ringplus alternative:Mint sim

rated:
I've changed my plan to Mad Plum, which seems to be the best option. It will renew in the next billing cycle, mid-December. I am willing to stick around, it seems like R+ is not ready to pull the plug yet and investing a lot of effort into staying alive. Although, they will bleed a lot of customers in this transition.

rated:
They want the top-up to "upgrade plans", even though I'm not at zero balance. With the uncertainty, that may frustrate about 1/2 of current subs to the point of dropping. Hmm...
Update: My other phone had a $10 balance, which was higher than the 200min plan top-up, so it doesn't charge to make the "upgrade"

rated:
Really some of you are confused?? Really, Heck Ring Plus was confusing from the beginning!!
Did you expect anything less then this, from them.
That's why they are missing 75% of their customer base.
The art of illusion, is confusion.

rated:
have a Future Phase3 that is expiring later today
Should I just go ahead and switch(likey to Mad Plum) or do you think it might renew one more time?

rated:
WindWalker said:   have a Future Phase3 that is expiring later today
Should I just go ahead and switch(likey to Mad Plum) or do you think it might renew one more time?

Doubtful, my future phase9 automatically switched to the "free hold plan" on the 17th. 

rated:
WindWalker said:   have a Future Phase3 that is expiring later today

Did you get a letter? Does it say it will renew on your dashboard? If it does say it will renew today then from what I've read it will renew.

rated:
The new free plans have such low limits that they will serve very few.   At this point the biggest issue with them is one of consumer confidence.   Big changes, short warning, explanations after the fact.  When the company was offering plans with really large allocations surely they knew that was unsustainable.   Look how many plans were over 3K allocations, and how many were over 5K, and now voice is 200 minutes on the new forced offerings.  These offerings forced upon the majority of the customer base in the last 5 days.   I had two lines where the voice allocation is being reduced by 25X!    That's a significant issue.   10x would have kept them usable.   

People that paid upgrade fees and member plus thinking that they were locking in service levels they could well live within are now left out in the cold sort of speak.   Yes they can pay for some usable limits, but the Sprint service geographic foot print is not near the big two, and still significantly short of the third provider.   So there is a lot of reason to jump to T-Mobile or one of the ATT prepaid MVNOs if the ring plus add supported model is not available in usable form.   

I think that a good portion of the base understood the experimental nature of the business, but that doesn't excuse poor communication and running up,the allocations, collecting fees and then dropping the plans.   There are real trust issues here.  With Cell phone service dependability is an important aspect.   The dependability of the network, both chronologically and geographically, as well as the dependability of the business providing the terms and conditions of the service applied to the customer.

rated:
actually the new plans are still better than the government subsidized phones for low income users if i'm not wrong. I would have kept the free service if not for the top up requirements as it is still at least a $5 topup for emergency phone service i never used.

rated:
As an added point, if RingPlus negotiates an agreement with an additional provider like T-Mobile, every subscriber that has a prepaid phone from VM, Spri t or Boost will need to buy a new phone to access the new network.   

rated:
keaton85 said:   It would be sad to see them go, since the user interface is excellent! I wish other MNVO providers had half as good of an interface as ring+ does. Ever seen Puppy wireless user interface? It's extremely sad in contrast to ring+.

Due to poor call quality, I had to port out of ring+ just this week. Very sad to leave such an excellent service that could be really great if done correctly. We will see!

I feel the same way.  The user interface is second to none in terms of the control you have  The big guys could learn something.  If ringplus wanted to make some more money, they should consider licensing their dashboard.

Like you, I've found the call quality is lacking to the point that people complain and don't want to speak with me when I use that phone and I'm in NYC which has great Sprint coverage.  Data and text, however, are flawless.  I never got rid of my ATT cell because ringplus always seemed experimental, but I like supporting them because I love what they are trying to do.  I read people complaining, but I've basically had a smartphone for a year for $15 in service cost.  That is incredible value and worth putting up with some hassle.  If I weren't so frugal, I could spend $15 on lunch today without difficulty.

Basically, I think Ringplus is awesome and I hope they find a business model that works

People are funny.  They get something basically for free and yet they still complain about it.  We should all be thankful that there are people going to work everyday trying to figure out how to give us smartphone service at no cost and stop complaining.  30 years ago, you paid $1 a minute for voice and there was no text or data.  Mobile phones were for the rich only.

rated:
mbrenner said:   As an added point, if RingPlus negotiates an agreement with an additional provider like T-Mobile, every subscriber that has a prepaid phone from VM, Spri t or Boost will need to buy a new phone to access the new network.   
  not quite everybody, if you have a nexus 5, that should work on any network

rated:
Ring Plus confused the heck out of us signing us up, so why should we think their (what ever this is) announcement should be any less confusing.

Just give it a few days and check back and someone will have figured this out.

rated:
mbrenner said:   As an added point, if RingPlus negotiates an agreement with an additional provider like T-Mobile, every subscriber that has a prepaid phone from VM, Spri t or Boost will need to buy a new phone to access the new network.   
  Except for those of us on the Moto bandwagon. I'll be sad to see my LG Tribute 2 go though. That was a great little phone.

rated:
If the Jolly plan included tethering I would go for that, but at this point the service level of ringplus isn't up to being a paid plan

rated:
30 years ago, you paid $1 a minute for voice and there was no text or data. Mobile phones were for the rich only.

LOL. I remember $2 a minute and a handheld the size of a military war zone radio. We have come a long way and with being on the bleeding edge some will spill. I'll hold on and ride this wherever it goes.

rated:
khakuda said:   
 I never got rid of my ATT cell because ringplus always seemed experimental, but I like supporting them because I love what they are trying to do.  I read people complaining, but I've basically had a smartphone for a year for $15 in service cost.  That is incredible value and worth putting up with some hassle.  If I weren't so frugal, I could spend $15 on lunch today without difficulty.

Basically, I think Ringplus is awesome and I hope they find a business model that works

People are funny.  They get something basically for free and yet they still complain about it.  We should all be thankful that there are people going to work everyday trying to figure out how to give us smartphone service at no cost and stop complaining.  30 years ago, you paid $1 a minute for voice and there was no text or data.  Mobile phones were for the rich only.

I concur, my family is exclusively on R+ now, while occasionally there are glitches and latency i would rate it 8/10 if i have to pay a modest cost and 10/10 for basically free service.   It's Sprint while it's no Verizon it's good enough for our family use.  There are couple times data exceeded limit and I was charged but i was not mad because I felt I owned R+ something and I was basically paying it back.

I am glad they reduced the minutes, hope now it's more sustainable.  We just signed up for Mad Plum while it's not as many minutes as before, we are still very happy, it's quite adequate for our use. There are cons with R+, but the pros far outweigh them IMHO.

Finally I too thank people at R+ sometimes I feel like they are running a non-profit LOL.

rated:
Lee_P said: Those who are switching to mad plum as I am , be careful, I just did the math on going over the one gig allotment , each gig, will be $100, , $0.10 x1000 =$100 ,, can that be right,? if you go over 2 gigs your cc will be charged $200 for that line, yikes!!! someone please tell me my math is wrong

rated:
i have cheerful plan
what happens to that?

4,000 Minutes
4,000 Texts
4,000 LTE MB 5¢ overage Min/SMS/MB
3¢ International SMS
4¢ MMS

rated:
I don't have a problem with 500, 500 and 500 mb in Mad Fiesta for free as long as it lasts. In your phones settings just set a warning and limit on your data and overages shouldn't be a problem. 

Skipping 399 Messages...
rated:
marcopolomle said:   
WindWalker said:   marcopolomle

I had posted a question about swapping-can't seem to find your response now
I asked about whether I'd have to do a 3 way swap and you responded that I would or cancel one of the phones and just do a single swap. I'd loose $3.01 but that's trivial

How do I cancel a line/phone

ETA: I have crappy hydro on Mad plum and Hauwei Union was on beyond but that's ending soon and I don't wish to give R+ any  more cash

I do remember.
However, I would not advise you to cancel.
I too have a crappy Hydro but it is great for tethering. I did not loginto my gmail account on my Hydro which keeps Google away from installing their never-ending updates !
Used to have Leo 3 on it but Mad Plum will have to do for now.

I would instead do a 3 way swap and keep both the plans.

But if you still want to do it then cancel the "beyond something plan" on Hauwei Union (as suggested by Larry) and swap the Mad Plum plan from Hydro to Hauwei Union.

thanks rep

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016