• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I needed a simple yet well made tablet to store my recipes on, to get rid of the freezer door forest of recipe printouts held there by magnets.  I also need to find a tablet case for it, so I can stick it on the freezer door with magnets.

I did a LOT of research, and found what I think will be the ideal inexpensive but still decent tablet to do the job--the Amazon Fire tablet, 8" (I think the 7" one is rather small to read).  It gets pretty good ratings all over the web for a tablet which may not be up to heavy gaming, but is still competent to perform most tasks.  The regular price is $89.99, so I was just waiting on Black Friday, as I knew it would go down to $59.99.

The specs:

• Fire OS 5
  • 8" IPS touch-screen display with 1280 x 800 resolution
  • 16 GB
  • Quad-core processor
  • Wi-Fi
  • 2.0 MP rear-facing camera
  • Expandable microSD slot
  • Amazon Underground

Comes in black, tangerine, blue, and magenta.

You can also get it with 32 GB for $89.99 (normally $119.99).  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-fire-hd8-8-tablet-16gb-wi-fi-...

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Dec. 9, 2016 @ 5:37am
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Which tablet case with magnets did you find?

rated:
Same price directly from Amazon

rated:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps...

Here is a vast assortment of fridge mounts at reasonable prices.  Amazon beats Staples' price on the CTA mount by about $7 or $8, so I would probably just stick with Amazon to look.

rated:
ThriftyE said:   https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tablet+fridge+mount&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atablet+fridge+mount 

Here is a vast assortment of fridge mounts at reasonable prices.  Amazon beats Staples ' price on the CTA mount by about $7 or $8, so I would probably just stick with Amazon to look.

Thanks so much. I wasn't even aware that such a product existed. In your extensive research, did you gain a preference for any magnet features or brands? Also, how are you planning on getting your hand written recipes on the tablet (memo/note pad, calendar, email, specific recipe app)? Great idea. TIA.

ETA: I'm leaning towards the Satechi. I've another product from them that's solid and the 26 reviews are solid at 4.4 stars. There’s another one rated 4.7 with 146 reviews but it only comes in red and I'm not familiar with the brand.

rated:
I worked out a deal with my local Staples.  They matched the Amazon price for the CTA fridge mount and since they are local, I will avoid the Amazon shipping costs and just pick it up for free, 15 minutes away.  The Fire tablet does Wi-fi, and I have a Wi-fi hotspot built into my cable modem.  So I can download recipes from the web.  Lots of my recipes were cut and pasted into Word, so I can either use a flash drive to transfer them or I can email them to myself, then download and save them from the email.  If I have a printed recipe that I can't find online any more, I can scan it and email it to myself as well.  There are many websites with apps that let you download recipes, organize them, upload your own printed recipes, etc.  One such website, offering several Android solutions to organizing your recipes, is http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-recipe-apps-android-phones/.  The Amazon Fire tablet uses Android, so I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) it could utilize some of these solutions.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016