Does this work with Smartthings?

There was a deal the other day for 5 black, 4 white (9 total) for $120 shipped at Amazon

You may want to checkout the following if you are technical, I found this in SD posting and I plan to try out when they arrive.
https://github.com/fritz-smh/yi-hack 
https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder

Good deal.  But look at some of the Amazon review as it mentions the YI's Terms and Conditions:  It states that YI server can record you and your family in your home for up to 6 seconds at a time and can share the videos too.

This may be a deal breaker for some users if they want the videos/pics to be transmitted.

One of the color options (Black with micro SD) includes a 32GB micro SD card at no extra cost.

LegOfAhab said:   Good deal.  But look at some of the Amazon review as it mentions the YI's Terms and Conditions:  It states that YI server can record you and your family in your home for up to 6 seconds at a time and can share the videos too.

This may be a deal breaker for some users if they want the videos/pics to be transmitted.

See my post. supposedly you can boot up with hacked firmware that disables them from accessing your camera and enabling new features.

LegOfAhab said:   Good deal.  But look at some of the Amazon review as it mentions the YI's Terms and Conditions:  It states that YI server can record you and your family in your home for up to 6 seconds at a time and can share the videos too.

My guess is that this was written to avoid liability if the servers are ever hacked.   Likely they have no intention of actually intentionally using the video but put this out as a blanket statement so people cannot claim that their privacy was violated in the event that video or audio captured by one of these devices did not remain secure from third parties.  

On that topic.   If you have a network video or audio monitoring device and you don't think that you are at risk of having the device monitored by a third party without your knowledge, that would not be wise.   These things are fodder for hacking.   The only thing that keeps my home relatively safe from public disclosures is that I am not a person of any interest (I am not famous, wealthy, or young and attractive) nor do I do anything of interest to anyone within the view of my devices.   If I were Jennifer Anniston, Kate Middleton or Mike Pence, I would not have any camera or listening device anywhere in my private, or occupational space.   Consider that anything that happens in the presence of any of these devices could become "public" without notice at any time.  

Understand that these cameras, are always on and in connected to the servers of a third party.   They are loaded with firmware that you have no idea how it works, they are behind your router and firewall.    Best practice would be to connect them to a separate router than your computers are on and only have them powered up when you are not home.   Devices like the Amazon Echo are always listening and processing information to a third party server as well as having access to your home network behind your router and fire wall.    If you wan't all this cloud based convenience remember you are fodder for hacking.   If you are luck you are a person of little public or private consequence so the convenience is worth the low risk (the risk only being low because no one is particularly interested).  

this is an awesome deal for a camera

thanks!

mbrenner said:   

My guess is that this was written to avoid liability if the servers are ever hacked.   Likely they have no intention of actually intentionally using the video but put this out as a blanket statement so people cannot claim that their privacy was violated in the event that video or audio captured by one of these devices did not remain secure from third parties.  

On that topic.   If you have a network video or audio monitoring device and you don't think that you are at risk of having the device monitored by a third party without your knowledge, that would not be wise.   These things are fodder for hacking.   The only thing that keeps my home relatively safe from public disclosures is that I am not a person of any interest (I am not famous, wealthy, or young and attractive) nor do I do anything of interest to anyone within the view of my devices.   If I were Jennifer Anniston, Kate Middleton or Mike Pence, I would not have any camera or listening device anywhere in my private, or occupational space.   Consider that anything that happens in the presence of any of these devices could become "public" without notice at any time.  

Understand that these cameras, are always on and in connected to the servers of a third party.   They are loaded with firmware that you have no idea how it works, they are behind your router and firewall.    Best practice would be to connect them to a separate router than your computers are on and only have them powered up when you are not home.   Devices like the Amazon Echo are always listening and processing information to a third party server as well as having access to your home network behind your router and fire wall.    If you wan't all this cloud based convenience remember you are fodder for hacking.   If you are luck you are a person of little public or private consequence so the convenience is worth the low risk (the risk only being low because no one is particularly interested).  

Well said. Green

Thanks for posting the chart,price will be more clearly

Does anyone have suggestions/recommendations for non-networked/local surveillance or nanny cams?  I've avoided the networked versions for precisely the reasons noted in this thread.

mbrenner said:   

Understand that these cameras, are always on and in connected to the servers of a third party.   They are loaded with firmware that you have no idea how it works, they are behind your router and firewall.    Best practice would be to connect them to a separate router than your computers are on and only have them powered up when you are not home.   Devices like the Amazon Echo are always listening and processing information to a third party server as well as having access to your home network behind your router and fire wall.    If you wan't all this cloud based convenience remember you are fodder for hacking.   If you are luck you are a person of little public or private consequence so the convenience is worth the low risk (the risk only being low because no one is particularly interested).  

Fair enough.  But would you care if they charged you a different rate for health insurance if "they" knew that you drank and smoke over the average rate?  Or how about a different car insurance rate if they knew that you are a habitual speeder?  That's what these IoT devices can track and send back.  I'm not saying its wrong, it's just a matter of preference?  

mikk1 said:   Does anyone have suggestions/recommendations for non-networked/local surveillance or nanny cams?  I've avoided the networked versions for precisely the reasons noted in this thread.
 I have used these guys in the past.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/hidden+cameras/nanny+...

mikk1 said:   Does anyone have suggestions/recommendations for non-networked/local surveillance or nanny cams?  I've avoided the networked versions for precisely the reasons noted in this thread.
  Most cameras don't send pics/vids to their servers without your knowledge. You can buy pretty much any IP camera from eBay and run it through your home network, record to a home DVR or open a firewall port in your network to make the video accessible to your phone or other computers with the proper credentials.  Just requires a small amount of technical knowledge.

3MP-5MP cameras on eBay are fairly cheap these days and the picture quality will far surpass the cameras provided by YI.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017