posted 10 days ago by
dealbug
Ancient Member

This is usually $49. Now for 37.95 at Amazon and Newegg. Grab it if you need a free landline. Works well with GV.

https://www.amazon.com/OBi200-VoIP-Phone-Adapter-T-38/dp/B00BUV7C9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480373915&sr=1-1&keywords=obihai200 

EDIT @11/29/2016, 5.32CST: Edited to reflect change of price @Amazon
Amazon changed the price to 39.95
Better price @Newegg with code NWKCMD1 (thanks to acefuture) for a final price of 37.99 with free shipping. 

49 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: CYBER MONDAY, HOT DEALS. — Dec. 9, 2016 @ 1:21pm
rated:
Thanks...I had posted a message that I was looking for a deal on one. Others posted a deal at Newegg but I never saw it. Checked Amazon yesterday and saw this. Just checked this morning and still on sale. This is one reason I sort of wished I'd kept my prime membership but simple enough to add the additional from my wish list for free shipping. Already shipped and due on 12/1.

rated:
How is this thing work?

rated:
ec8989 said:   How is this thing work?

This thing is working.

rated:
  Plug it in, connect to your network, add your Google Voice credentials then free local and domestic long distance calling 

The nice thing about these boxes is that you can also call each one directly without a VoIP service. You just add them all to your profile on Obitalk.com and then each box can call eachother.

rated:
montee4 said:     Plug it in, connect to your network, add your Google Voice credentials then free local and domestic long distance calling 

The nice thing about these boxes is that you can also call each one directly without a VoIP service. You just add them all to your profile on Obitalk.com and then each box can call eachother.

Can I use this in addition to my existing VOIP (Ooma) phone. Do I simply create a new number with GV (I have never used GV).
Are there any recurring charges (or tax)?

rated:
  I see you failed the google test with this post!

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
montee4 said:     Plug it in, connect to your network, add your Google Voice credentials then free local and domestic long distance calling 

Can I use this in addition to my existing VOIP (Ooma) phone. Do I simply create a new number with GV (I have never used GV).

Should work fine side by side with Ooma.
Yes you can set up a phone # for free with GV. 
There are no taxes or other charges using Obi with GV.

I've got one of the Obi100 models and it perfectly well with GV and an old style landline phone.

rated:
jerosen said:   
fwuser12 said:   

I've got one of the Obi100 models and it perfectly well with GV and an old style landline phone.

i think i have the same old one with google voice. its telling me ifs off now and i have to pay for tech support.
 are u sure yours is still working ?

rated:
Does this take a lot of bandwidth? I live in a very rural place and my bandwidth is 6mb down/.5mb up

rated:
christianirc said:   Does this take a lot of bandwidth? I live in a very rural place and my bandwidth is 6mb down/.5mb up
  you should be fine. Latency is more important

rated:
fwuser12 said:   

Could someone help me with 2 questions below?
1. Do you have to pay monthly or yearly service?
2. Can I hook this OBi200 to my existing fax machine (To receive and send fax)?

rated:
kenwallet said:   
fwuser12 said:   

Could someone help me with 2 questions below?

1. no charge for basic service. 
2. i sent a fax last week with it so yes.

rated:
uggh, first time I noticed Amazon wanting tax from me. Hello Newegg

The last time I ported my # it was from Comcast, and I had to first transfer to Ring+, then to GV. With all the changes to R+ happening at the moment, I' think I'd rather not go that route, and it's for my neighbor. What are other's recommendations on what service to use to hop-scotch over to GV for cheap & easy?

rated:
I have been using this with GV for over one and a half year and am very happy with it. I bought this and ported my landline from AT&T and no more monthly bill with better sound quality. Free calls to US & Canada. Very cheap calls to other areas. Ooma is good but you still need to pay a monthly fee, right? This is great product. Highly recommended.

rated:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30768637-READ-THIS-before-you-pay-10-to-Obihai-for-support 

Manually update the firmware if your Obi 100/110 stops working with GV

rated:
kenwallet said:    Could someone help me with 2 questions below?

1. No charges from Obihai or Google voice for the telephone service. But you have to pay somebody else for E911 service. As you dont get it from Google Voice or Obihai. It is usually $18/year for E911.

rated:
javaman2003 said:   

1. No charges from Obihai or Google voice for the telephone service. But you have to pay somebody else for E911 service. As you dont get it from Google Voice or Obihai. It is usually $18/year for E911.

Can I ask another question?  If I have the Google voice using my cell phone, how can you hook up the fax with Google voice?  Thanks

rated:
montee4 said:   
  Plug it in, connect to your network, add your Google Voice credentials then free local and domestic long distance calling 

Free Obi to Obi call w/o VoIP , Would it work from outside US to US? Thanks

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   uggh, first time I noticed Amazon wanting tax from me. Hello Newegg

The last time I ported my # it was from Comcast, and I had to first transfer to Ring+, then to GV. With all the changes to R+ happening at the moment, I' think I'd rather not go that route, and it's for my neighbor. What are other's recommendations on what service to use to hop-scotch over to GV for cheap & easy?

I did it this spring with T-Mobile. They have $1 sales on their SIM fairly often. They used to give you 30 days service for free with the SIM. Now, although they do have a $3/month service,  I think the minimum you can pay them is $10. Since you have done it, you know that GV charges  $20 to port in a number.  

rated:
Is Google voice similar to, or related to, Google hangouts?  I use hangouts now.  Never have used voice.

rated:
Thank you kindly for your help

rated:
Can those of you that have used this tell me how is the sound quality is when you make and receive calls. I am using Ooma now and sometime people I am talking to tell me I am cutting in and out like the call is getting interference. I don't hear it on my end, the call sounds perfectly fine but evidently the people I call don't always hear me as well on their side, even when I call people that have the old fashioned landlines.

rated:
Onenote said:   
MeIsCheap said:   uggh, first time I noticed Amazon wanting tax from me. Hello Newegg

I did it this spring with T-Mobile. They have $1 sales on their SIM fairly often. They used to give you 30 days service for free with the SIM. Now, although they do have a $3/month service,  I think the minimum you can pay them is $10. Since you have done it, you know that GV charges  $20 to port in a number.  

I just did it a few weeks ago also using T-Mobile when they had a $4 special for the prepaid sim card.  One thing I learned was that when you port to GV, your T-Mobile account number is 1+your phone number. 

One more note about the OBI200, you can have up to 4 SIP numbers assigned.  I'm using three GV numbers + E911 service.  You can select the line by dialing **# (#=line number 1,2,3,or 4).

rated:
I've had this unit for a year now. I ported my original home landline #, through a very cheap Tracfone as intermediate cellphone, to Google Voice.

The voice quality has been excellent; as good or better as my old hard wired landline phone. Completely free calling anywhere within the United States and Canada. Very, very cheap rates for long distance to Europe or Asia.

When using Google Voice there are no monthly or annual charges or costs.

Two things to be aware of are that native use of this Obi with Google Voice only gives you caller ID that shows a phone number (not name). Also Google Voice does not support 911 emergency service. If you dial 911 you will get a message that the call won't be completed. These may or may not be important to you. If they are then they can be overcome by subscribing to a third party service (like CallCentric) that will give you complete name, number caller ID and normal 911 emergency service. The cost of this service from CallCentric is $1.50 a month.

I highly recommend this Obi and Google Voice. Great purchase!

​Also Newegg currently sells this for $37.99 using promo code NWKCMD1.  Newegg doesn't charge sales tax in most states and shipping is free.
​That's where I got mine last year.

rated:
kenwallet said:   
javaman2003 said:   

Can I ask another question?  If I have the Google voice using my cell phone, how can you hook up the fax with Google voice?  Thanks

ObiHai is just a SIP box with Google Voice. Google Voice can be forwarded to any number you want or to Hangouts.
So, you can forward to ObiHai and to your cellphone at the same time. Hangouts will recieve your voicemails with transcripts or text messages.

One more catch is that Google Voice doesnt give Caller ID. But if you have contacts it will show that name.

rated:
shopn4adeal said:   Can those of you that have used this tell me how is the sound quality is when you make and receive calls. I am using Ooma now and sometime people I am talking to tell me I am cutting in and out like the call is getting interference. I don't hear it on my end, the call sounds perfectly fine but evidently the people I call don't always hear me as well on their side, even when I call people that have the old fashioned landlines.
    I have been using the OB100 with GV for over 4 years. I am happy with the call quality.  The only drawback is if your internet or power goes out, you don't have phone service.  I did switch to Anveo which includes E911 service and my service runs 18 bucks a year total.  

rated:

it workie using a magic spell

mine cost $29.95

rated:
owenscott said:   
jerosen said:   
fwuser12 said:   

i think i have the same old one with google voice. its telling me ifs off now and i have to pay for tech support.
 are u sure yours is still working ?

I had a similar message saying I'm out of warranty, need firmware update and have to pay for tech support.

I ignored that and manually updated FW and it works fine.

FW update info w/ manual update instructions : https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Correction: I actually have the obi200 not the obi100.

rated:
acefuture said:   Two things to be aware of are that native use of this Obi with Google Voice only gives you caller ID that shows a phone number (not name). Also Google Voice does not support 911 emergency service. If you dial 911 you will get a message that the call won't be completed. These may or may not be important to you. If they are then they can be overcome by subscribing to a third party service (like CallCentric) that will give you complete name, number caller ID and normal 911 emergency service. The cost of this service from CallCentric is $1.50 a month. 
I have an OBi adapter and use Google Voice # replacing my old landline. Just wonder how signing up with CallCentric fit in with my current set up. Do I need to port the number they assign me to Google Voice? How does it work? Thanks.

rated:
It is cheap for the product,but how about the quality?

rated:
tonglu1 said:   
acefuture said:   .................. 

I have an OBi adapter and use Google Voice # replacing my old landline. Just wonder how signing up with CallCentric fit in with my current set up. Do I need to port the number they assign me to Google Voice? How does it work? Thanks.

If you sign up for CallCentric you can use the same Google Voice # you already have.  No need for a new one.  It's been awhile since I set mine up, but basically you just have to configure CallCentric and Google Voice settings to get everything to work together.  Their respective websites (particularly Callcentric) have all the configuration instructions.  As I recall it took me about 15 minutes to understand and configure everything.

rated:
Potential Noob question. Please be gentle.
With GV and OBi - will I still get texts? Or only voice?

rated:
GotADeal said:   Potential Noob question. Please be gentle.
With GV and OBi - will I still get texts? Or only voice?

Obi (and other VOIP adapters) are intended to replace a typical landline phone in a home or small office.  As such, landline phones never sent or received text messages.  Text messages are sent and received on cell phones and by computers.   Using Google Voice you can choose to have your GV phone number simultaneously ring your cellphone if you want.  Also, if you wish you can have GV send text versions, to your cellphone, of any voicemail left for a GV number. 

​So with GV and OBI you will get only voice calls, voicemail and text versions of voicemail.   No texts. 

rated:
Actually, for texts, Google Voice will forward any text sent to the GV number to your email on your GV account and even give you the option of responding via email to the text msg. The initial text sender only sees your reply as a text from your GV number since GV receives it and sends replies to the text originator. Forwarded text from GV can be sent to your address of any email provider..not just GMail. Free and part of GV. I use this myself when I don't want to give out my cell phone number. Obi110 and GV user for 4 years. Obitalk is great and worth the product price even if not on sale.

rated:
sparkie130 said:       I have been using the OB100 with GV for over 4 years. I am happy with the call quality.  The only drawback is if your internet or power goes out, you don't have phone service.  I did switch to Anveo which includes E911 service and my service runs 18 bucks a year total.  

If don't pay extra for the battery from Comcast, & have their phone service, your ring tone will go too if you lose power, so not the biggest con. If you have a battery backup to power your modem, you might as well plug in this. Depending on how bad the outage is, you still may be able to get internet & make phone calls

rated:
astan said:   http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30768637-READ-THIS-before-you-pay-10-to-Obihai-for-support 

Manually update the firmware if your Obi 100/110 stops working with GV

I logged into my Obitalk account and there was a firmware upgrade available. I clicked it and it upgraded my OBi200. I'm not sure if they offer firmware upgrades the same way for the older models but I thought I'd mention this.

rated:
I have the Obi 202.. My wife and I use it for business... We have a 2 line Panasonic phone connected to it. Line 1 calls ring in my office and Line 2 calls ring her office. We both use google voice numbers.

It works very well. No complaints or problems and had it almost a year now. There is slight latency but it's not too bad.

rated:
acefuture said:   I've had this unit for a year now. I ported my original home landline #, through a very cheap Tracfone as intermediate cellphone, to Google Voice.

The voice quality has been excellent; as good or better as my old hard wired landline phone. Completely free calling anywhere within the United States and Canada. Very, very cheap rates for long distance to Europe or Asia.

When using Google Voice there are no monthly or annual charges or costs.

Two things to be aware of are that native use of this Obi with Google Voice only gives you caller ID that shows a phone number (not name). Also Google Voice does not support 911 emergency service. If you dial 911 you will get a message that the call won't be completed. These may or may not be important to you. If they are then they can be overcome by subscribing to a third party service (like CallCentric) that will give you complete name, number caller ID and normal 911 emergency service. The cost of this service from CallCentric is $1.50 a month.

I highly recommend this Obi and Google Voice. Great purchase!

​Also Newegg currently sells this for $37.99 using promo code NWKCMD1.  Newegg doesn't charge sales tax in most states and shipping is free.
​That's where I got mine last year.

Thanks for all the great information.  I have an Ooma Hub that provides both the 911 connection service, and the alpha caller id but costs Nothing.  I have an Obi 200 that I am planning to use when the Ooma Hub dies.  I have not paid a phone bill since July of 2010, when I bought the Ooma Hub.  I think I can afford the $ 1.50 per month, but as long as the Hub is working, I will continue to pay NOTHING!  (I have the Hub on a UPS, so, you can see, I spare no expense to save money!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016