• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
 AT&T’s DirecTV Now launches November 30th with over 100 channels of streaming TV
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/28/13766274/att-directv-now-stre... 

***Starts 11/30/16 *** Free Apple TV with sign up of "Directv Now" for 3 months prepaid and Go Big package(100+ Channels) for $35 (HBO, Cinemax Extra $5 Each)Those who sign up for three months will get a free Apple TV, while those who pay for one month will receive a free Amazon Fire TV Stick. Get your Free Apple TV here https://directvnow.com/appletv#slide1  

It's also offering promotional pricing which will offer its "Go Big" ($60/mo) package of over 100 channels for $35/month. And those who sign up at this rate will be grandfathered in as long as they use the service.
Basics:

• 2 concurrent streams max
  • $35 introductory price for Go Big (109 channels) package
  • $35 intro price is grandfathered, but could increase if their content costs rise
  • Apple TV 32gb 4th gen for free when pre-paying 3 months (~$105 for Go Big)
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick 3rd gen for free when pre-paying 1 month ($35 for Go Big)
  • Local channels are location-specific; check help site for more info
  • Video-On-Demand is main way to watch old programming
  • DVR coming in 2017
  • No Roku channel until 2017 Q1
  • No Chromecasting from iOS app until, "later"
  • Does not hit mobile data for AT&T customers
  • Can log in to WatchESPN and some other apps with credentials (more coming, I assume)

Channel lineup comparison: DirecTV Now, Vue, & Sling https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-vs-sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue-channels-compared/  
Customers can pay an extra $5 per month each to add HBO and Cinemax. Sign up here for list http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv-now 

Credit to manjeetsc More on the channel line up https://www.reddit.com/r/DirecTVNow/comments/5feq5r/some_channels/?st=iw2nj3se&sh=acce0876 

Member Summary

directv (4.05kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

base package (183.10kB)
Thanks Monkeybiz
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
yes, from my previous post, maybe some aren't selecint Directv Now as their provider or something wires got crossed betw... (more)

Monkeybiz (Dec. 10, 2016 @ 12:53p) |

Analyst estimates for DirecTV Now's costs indicate that it'll be practically impossible for AT&T to make any money on it... (more)

Monkeybiz (Dec. 10, 2016 @ 12:57p) |

Likely the business model, is that the charter subscribers will not be profitable but after the initial startup and the ... (more)

mbrenner (Dec. 10, 2016 @ 7:49p) |

Limits include no 4K streaming and only two simultaneous streams at a time. NFL Sunday Ticket won’t be available either, although AT&T says its working with the NFL on making it available. A cloud-DVR feature is expected next year.
DirecTV Now will be available at launch through the following:Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
Android mobile devices and tablets
iPhone, iPad and Apple TV
Chromecast (Android at launch; iOS in 2017)
Google Cast-enabled LeEco ecotvs and VIZIO SmartCast Displays
Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari web browsers
DVR coming early 2017 Full Channel Line up http://imgur.com/a/OGIhL 
NO DVR

in case you missed it,
NO DVR

"Sure, the promotional $35 plan for 100 channels sounds good, and early adopters will be grandfathered into that price going forward.

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
No DVR is a dealbreaker.

-Tri

rated:
+nope,,OTA for me..

rated:
No complete channel lineup, no DVR, all sorts of unknown regional restrictions, no info on fees and surcharges, no 4K support, and a base price that's not much less than the regular Dish Network.
I cut the cord a long time ago, and this certainly is no enticement to go back. It's really just regular TV over the internet, instead of thru a cable box.

rated:
Having to start watch commercials again ? Hell no!

rated:
They do not appear to own the Direct TV Now url.  Web surf challenge.

rated:
Interesting until you ready the fine details. No DVR (might add in a year), can't skip commercials, might have to wait until the next day to watch shows in certain markets. Plus if you are on comcast, good luck with your data cap.

rated:
I use Sony PlayStation Vue.  It only cost $30 a month and has a DVR feature, not to mention the interface is actually easy to use.  There is nothing exciting about DriectTV's announcement with the exception of the fact that there will be more competition.

rated:
trautpa said:   I use Sony PlayStation Vue.  It only cost $30 a month and has a DVR feature, not to mention the interface is actually easy to use.  There is nothing exciting about DriectTV's announcement with the exception of the fact that there will be more competition.

can you skip commercials?

rated:
Just got a PS4 pro and torn between Playstation Vue and this offer by ATT.
Currently have digital antenna so both would be a nice upgrade.

If your a ATT mobile customer, i believe an article stated that streaming video from this service will not count towards data usage. If this is true, then this would be a killer offer.

rated:
I posted this in Hot Deals but it was moved. But there is a sign up list to get in on the offer so I figured that was newsworthy. Supposed to launch today but details are sketchy. I'm rather juiced about it if I can lock in 100 channels for $35. Has to be better then my current Directv feed with hundreds of crap channels. Trouble is there is no mention of the free ad supported level. More info and channel line up here https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/28/att-directv-now-channels-price-launch-details/

rated:
Monkeybiz said:   More info and channel line up here https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/28/att-directv-now-channels-price-launch-details/
"A cloud-DVR feature is expected next year."

The plot thickens...

rated:
JiggleTheHandle said:   They do not appear to own the Direct TV Now url.  Web surf challenge.
  They do.  You may have typed it wrong.

directvnow.com

rated:
Tri said:   No DVR is a dealbreaker.

-Tri

Why would someone need a DVR with a streaming service?

rated:
woowoo2 said:   

-Tri

So they could pause the program?

-tri

rated:
The main advantage is to skip commercials and to time shift live broadcasts like sports. Legal precedent has repeatedly established a consumer's rights when they record their own personal copy of a program. So, cloud DVRs actually go through the arbitrarily silly method of actually recording a separate copy of each video that you record in order to give you the rights afforded you under Sony vs Universal City and most recently the 2008 Fox v Cablevision case.  

On demand streams the same single copy to everyone - whereas a cloud DVR will hold thousands and thousands of separate copies of the same program for each customer who recorded it.

So, by making a personal recording of the live stream yourself, you aren't subject to any of those restrictions. You can record,playback or fast forward anything that was broadcast, regardless of whether it's available on demand or not - and you can pause and rewind live television.

On demand is better than nothing, but it's not ideal for sports or other live broadcasts, it's often subject to delayed and limited availability and commercials are almost always unskippable.

rated:
Man, I tried the other streaming service, can't remember the name but also owned by DirecTV, for $20/month. It was crap because the streaming wasn't very smooth. For popular sports on ESPN, it chocks. All I get is a spinning icon that says it's loading.

rated:
shallot said:   Man, I tried the other streaming service, can't remember the name but also owned by DirecTV, for $20/month. It was crap because the streaming wasn't very smooth. For popular sports on ESPN, it chocks. All I get is a spinning icon that says it's loading.

Wrong.  That was slingtv and is owned by Dish Network, not DirecTV.    I agree, though, it is a DOG, at best.

rated:
If Fox News is included,I'm in for 3

rated:
AT&T's prepaid brand, Cricket Wireless, has recently launched its new DirecTV Now service on its network. The announcement follows AT&T's DirecTV Now launch yesterday, which would now be offered to Cricket Wireless customers http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016/11/cricket-wireless-offers-...

rated:
I use the Terrarium TV app on my phone through Chromecast.  Couldn't watch everything on there if I tried.  

rated:
If it has fox news I resign. As fox is definitely  a no-no   very biased 

rated:
Considering this is ATT and directTV, I can guarantee you that that $60 charge will balloon to $80 or $90 per month with all the extra charges, fee's and taxs (that are not really taxs).
No thanks.

rated:
vaylon said:   with all the extra charges, fee's and taxs (that are not really taxs)No fees or taxes by federal law.

rated:
I mean... Its a discount on an apple tv with 3 months of streaming. Pretty good deal if you ask me. If you dont like the service, dont use it.

rated:
I just signed up. This would almost be a perfect solution for us after the three months. Terms and conditions say we are going to be limited to two streams. There are five of us, and we couldn't get by with only two streams. Netflix has a similar cap but it only hit me once.
FatGene

rated:
xoneinax said:   
vaylon said:   with all the extra charges, fee's and taxs (that are not really taxs)
No fees or taxes by federal law.

Just signed up and pre-paid 3 months with HBO on the Go Big plan. $129.90 and they're sending me a free AppleTV... this price included $9.90 in tax but zero random "fees"

***NOTE FOR ROKU FOLKS: The Roku app is not available until Q1 2017. Live on Amazon (fire TV), Android, iOS. I'm going to *try* to cast it to my roku this evening, otherwise my Fire Stick is coming out until the AppleTV gets here.
Update: Chromecast works when casting from an android device

rated:
I think this is an awesome deal. SlingTV is $20 for 30 channels. For $35 for 100 channels locked in plus AppleTV - AMAZING. $5 more gets you HBO/Cinemax. I was paying over $100 for cable bill. Still trying to resist a monthly bill and focus on OTA Free channels.

EDIT

It seems like HBO and Cinemax are independent from one another - each costing $5/MO. Oh well thought that sounded too good to be true.

QUESTION:
Can anyone provide info on the "15,000" On Demand content that comes with this service? Is this like Netflix - so say I want to watch old X-File shows, or Lost are these available?

rated:
In for 3 Months with free Apple TV. Thanks.

rated:
This is not a bad deal at all! Some of the channels like NBAtv in "Go Big" ($60/mo) package are not even included on att uverse 200 and uverse is ridiculously expensive. I think I might do this! Thanks!

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/directv-now-full-channel-li...

rated:
I signed up early and never got a notice or invite. Probably because they don't want me to leave their over priced satellite.

SOLD! Already happy with quality over normal Directv. I thought it might be bad at first struggling to keep up with demand. Upscaled feed looks good even on 20Mbps DSL on a cheap 4K tv. Selling that Apple TV to pay for it. 

I have to run, add to wiki if you have some more info. 

rated:
Monkeybiz said:   I signed up early and never got a notice or invite. Probably because they don't want me to leave their over priced satellite.

SOLD! Already happy with quality over normal Directv. I thought it might be bad at first struggling to keep up with demand. Upscaled feed looks good even on 20Mbps DSL on a cheap 4K tv. Selling that Apple TV to pay for it. 

Who's your DSL provider? How much do you pay for DSL service?

rated:
docjoo said:   
Monkeybiz said:   I signed up early and never got a notice or invite. Probably because they don't want me to leave their over priced satellite.

Who's your DSL provider? How much do you pay for DSL service?

I have Century Link, used to be qwest. BUndled with basic DIrectv Select choice. I've whittled both down to $65/mo for bundle through loyalty dept. Still getting six of twelve $10 off DSL just for asking. Haven't bother Directv in months but in service since 2000 and free gear. Out of contract for several years and was waiting for something like this Now deal. I may have a problem with Seahawk games, not sure yet. 

rated:
might have to switch this deal is too good to pass up

rated:
Tri said:   
woowoo2 said:   

-Tri

So they could pause the program?

-tri

I'm watching it right now on a firetv and pausing is no problem.  Don't know if there's a time limit on the pause but it works.

Fox news, A&E and AMC all in one sub.  Couldn't get that combo with VUE or Sling.

rated:
Anyone know when this Apple TV promo ends?

rated:
Just signed up.
Couldn't find the promo for the Amazon or AppleTV on the website. Super happy the OP link was still valid.

rated:
Cool, didn't realize pausing would work. What about ability to skip around?

-Tri

rated:
Walked into an AT&T store today and got the Apple TV on the spot. Not bad for $102. I think I'm going to send back my TiVo Romeo OTA that arrived the other day. This is a great deal for $35 a month.

Skipping 35 Messages...
rated:
Monkeybiz said:   Analyst estimates for DirecTV Now's costs indicate that it'll be practically impossible for AT&T to make any money on its standard $35-per-month package of 60 channels. Analyst Craig Moffett estimates the cost of programming for its base package is $30 per month, according to a Barron's post. Add in subscriber acquisition costs (like a free streaming stick or set-top box), credit card processing fees, and the cost of streaming the content itself, and AT&T is posting negative margins, he points out.
===========
Can I sign into TV Everywhere apps (HBO Go, WatchESPN, Disney, etc.) with my DirecTV Now account info?
Yep. AT&T thinks most people will stick with the main DirecTV Now app for all their streaming, but you can use your account credentials to authenticate with the following apps on various devices, with more due to be added in the future:

HBO Go
Max Go
ABC
ESPN
Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13788934/directv-now-att-inte...

Likely the business model, is that the charter subscribers will not be profitable but after the initial startup and the service is up and running they will raise the price of this package, or only offer other more profitable equivalents .    Two things are going on now.   Getting the word out and also working the buggs out.   At this point we are on a promotion, so we will put up with the service being a bit buggy.    It's clearly less robust than most people's cable service at this time, and they need to get it to be near equivalent. They have a bit of time to get it "ready for prime time" while the subscribers are paying significantly less than cable rates.  Many of us will stay if they do, and they should have a solid service by the time they start charging us monthly and others the full prices.  

I suspect that they may also not be rolling out dvr features for the discounted plan we have, or things like local channels in more markets, or CBS.   So they have a way to raise prices and entice people off the inexpensive charter plans if they wish by adding new plans with the same content but more cloud features.   Naturally it would be awesome if they added features to the existing tiers, but I'm not holding my breath.   

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016