posted 6 days ago by
TightLikeVirgin
Addicted Member

Amazon 
Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB5000100) for $109.99 

shopping around that seems like almost 1TB for free (i.e. 4 TB drives go for about $100)

Compare to  $70 deal for 3TB deal  thats   $23.33/TB vs $22/TB, but with this deal you also get the free USB 3.0 Enclosure 

So is the Hot?  

Couldn't find warranty info.  For Seagate HDD isn't it at least 2 years? 

23 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Dec. 6, 2016 @ 2:01pm
rated:
The 8TB at $169 is a great deal too!

rated:
This is a good deal if the 5TB Seagate drives show reliability. There was a Best Buy deal a few days back for Seagate 8TB USB3 for 169 (original 249) and free shipping plus $25 discount with VISA checkout which was a little warmer. Unfort. it is dead at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-external...

rated:
This is on hubby's list. Thanks for posting!

rated:
If, while on the Amazon page you go to>Technical Details?Other Technical Details, you'll see a pdf that says it's a 2 year warranty. But that only looks like it's the European warranty. I really need an external HD-photos seem to fill my hard drives up so quickly. And I have a few full  external hard drives that are probably 10 years old now. I'd love to but it at this good price, but a two, (or even if it was 4 year, which I don't think it is) year warranty is too soon.

Should I be looking into SSD longer term storage? Some of those warranties are rather robust. And to think what a volatile product it was when it first came out!

From my early days of computing, and The Early Days of Computing. Back Up! Back Up! Hard Drives fail. It's just a matter of when.

rated:
I picked up one of these for my XBox One. Been working beautifully so far.

rated:
I really "need" more storage, but unfortunately, I've had bad experiences with Seagate drives lately. If this were WD I'd jump on it, but it's still a good price, so still green for the OP

rated:
Great deal! I"m looking for an external for my parents for Christmas, I think 5TB might be overkill though

rated:
There was a deal last week: Seagate 4TB for $89.99 by buydig on eBay. I bought one and just got it yesterday. So far, no issues.

rated:
That's a lot of data to lose so you'll need it backed up especially with Seagates reputation.

rated:
st4rdust said:   Great deal! I"m looking for an external for my parents for Christmas, I think 5TB might be overkill though
  Staples USB 3.0 thumbdrives are on sale too.. better option for older parents?

rated:
I got this for 85$ at bestbuy.  I prefer seagate than wd.  

rated:
kingaroonie said:   
From my early days of computing, and The Early Days of Computing. Back Up! Back Up! Hard Drives fail. It's just a matter of when.

For seagate's the when is usually a lot sooner.  

rated:
petenth said:   I got this for 85$ at bestbuy.  I prefer seagate than wd.  
  Studies show that on avarage seagates fail more often then WD.

rated:
This is likely an SMR drive. Expect it to be slow.

rated:
Seriously, do not get a 5TB drive for back ups. Far better to get a couple smaller ones instead.

And I agree with the other statements--Seagate quality has nose-dived in the past few years. There is a reason the warranties are not as long and why they have had a huge ad and PR blitz over the last year.

rated:
Expansion is 1 year warranty. If you are going to get the 5TB, you might as well get the 8TB for $169 which has lower $/TB.

supersnoop00 said:   This is likely an SMR drive. Expect it to be slow.
  It's not SMR.  According to this review on a different Seagate drive using SMR, sequential read/write were under 70MB/s and 40MB/s.

I just ran CrystalDiskMark last night on the Expansion 8TB plugged into USB 3 on Windows 10. It's transfers at around 120MB/s and similar to WDC My Book 8TB. In any case, performance is above SMR speeds.

The Expansion more nosier on random reads than the My Book.

rated:
russ0519 said:   
petenth said:   I got this for 85$ at bestbuy.  I prefer seagate than wd.  
  Studies show that on avarage seagates fail more often then WD.

thanks

rated:
Great price... but Seagate... most seagate drives i have purchased failed eventually. they really should get out of the business

rated:
Out of all the drives I have had, the only one I had fail was a Seagate.

rated:
This is a good deal, but there are a lot of negative comments..

rated:
The 8TB is also on sale at Amazon for 169.99 ($21.25/TB), use the same link as for the 5 and then switch size.

rated:
internet is always about comments

rated:
Drives fail because of heat. These cases have no active cooling. If you run the drive to hard for too long (like doing a huge initial backup), you risk damaging the drive. That's true for any brand. The bigger they get, the more data you write, the hotter they get, the more damage you can do.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016