posted 3 months ago by
Slick29832

I was just at Kmart and they had 3 displays of items that were all 100% back in points.  They were all under $5 each.  I did not see any limit in terms of how many points you can get, or how many items you can buy.  I bought $62 worth of stuff, and somehow got $78 back in points!  I might have to go back tomorrow.

items:

colgate toothpaste
coffee
oatmeal
cereal
kool-aid
deoderant
cooking oil
shaving cream (3 of them)
shampoo
soup (2 kinds)

tip:  do 2 seperate orders.  For order 1 only have items that are 100% points back.  That way you will know if you dont get all the points you should get.  Also, the points are instantly redeemable.  So order 1 was $62 in 100% back in points, i got $78 back in points.  Order 2 was stuff with no points back, that order was free because the points from order #1 paid for everything.

Such a great deal, i might have to go back later.  The signs didnt mention any limit, other than the points expiring in 30 days I believe.

61 Comments
Add Comment
More deals in the official Kmart & Sears $5 off $50 coupon thread.
rated:
Headed that way this evening!!!

rated:
I bet Sears Holdings is desperate for cash. Probably trying to push slow-moving merchandise out the door for more funds. Wouldn't sit on those points for long, since they'll probably be one of the first things to go in a bankruptcy.

rated:
Death spiral

rated:
Ok lets be honest. They are playing a game. Cost in store exceeds the actual retail, so you can't really be saying free. You have to look at this as a sort of half price sale. If you need something that you would pay cash for, this is a good deal. Otherwise, beware. Pepsi's were on sale last week, but still 20% over recent sale pricing. Baby food is also 20% over. Craftsman tools vice Kobalt
or Husky? All Chinese, lifetime of Lowes or Home Depot is a lot longer than Sears or Kmart.  Similar pricing.
Just do the math before you go overboard!
Also, notice those little pieces of yellow stickers?  They have been removing clearance stickers.  That tends to be what they are offering 100%   back in rewards.  So, really beware.

rated:
roborankfrank said:   Ok lets be honest. They are playing a game. Cost in store exceeds the actual retail, so you can't saying free. You have to look at this as a sort of half price sale. If you need something that you would pay cash for, this is a good deal. Otherwise, beware. Pepsi's were on sale last week, but still 20% over recent sale pricing. Baby food is also 20% over. Craftsman tolls vice Kobalt
or Husky? All Chinese, lifetime of Lowes or Home Depot is a lot longer than Sears or Kmart.  Similar pricing.
Just do the math before you go overboard!

I spent $62 on food got $78 in points.  Even if I use the points on something that is 10% more than other places I still get a great deal.  

rated:
anything online? no Kmart near here

rated:
$62 in food at Kmart would have cost $40 at most of my local grocery stores. So, maybe. Just do the math. Don't go overboard. And, those point probably expire this month.

You can do very well. Purolator oil filters are marked down, synthetic below other stores, if you can find the one for your car. NCAA jerseys and the like fan gear in half off, and you might like that stuff. And, online you can get team gear from almost any team. Can't see anything in electronics that is not obsolete.

Sears is doing the same, see previous posts.

rated:
I'm tempted to go check out what is there now, but I remember something like this popped up last week at Sears, and I went on a wild goose chase at three local stores and came up empty handed. But I'll definitely be on the lookout if I happen to be near the Kmart left in my area.

rated:
Wow

rated:
any coupon links to combine?

rated:
sdskees said:   I'm tempted to go check out what is there now, but I remember something like this popped up last week at Sears, and I went on a wild goose chase at three local stores and came up empty handed. But I'll definitely be on the lookout if I happen to be near the Kmart left in my area.
For anyone near the Herndon, VA store, there's plenty of stuff available, including: extension cords, some weatherstripping supplies, caulk, Mexican hot sauce, canned soups, Boxed cereals, instant oatmeal, Planters and generic peanuts Craisins and generic dried fruits, raisins, canned pasta, American cheese singles, envelopes, drink mixes, a few cheap toys, nonwoven storage boxes, old-style incandescent light bulbs and some hardware. I didn't see coffee or toothpaste on this offer. The Bluelight special was 8 washcloths for $1.75 and Canon heated throws for $7.50.

Sears Holdings sold this Kmart building (for $7 million!) last month, so my guess is it will be closing soon.

I spent $43 and received 45834 points. Not quite as good as the OP, but still more points than I spent.

rated:
Great find, thanks OP!

My rule of thumb is that I attribute half the points back to savings now and have to savings later. That way I'm building in some buffer for expensive stuff at Kmart.

In the case of OP's report, I'd have said the $62 purchase (assuming $62 back in points) was a $31 discount. Then decide if that pile of stuff was worth $31. They may be overpriced, but not 100%. Like the ExxonMobil $100 gas cards that SVM sells for $92-$94 from time to time, sure ExxonMobil is more expensive than Costco, Valero, etc., but ExxonMobil at 92% is probably cheaper than U-Gas at 100%.

For example, they had "get $20 back when you spend $40 on apparel", I had gone for a couple of shirts so I bumped it up to $40 (took 3 trips to the register, they are so disorganized and opaque, but that's another thread). And I did finally (on the 3rd try) get the $20 back in points.

I can't simply say the apparel cost $20 because when I redeem the points on something else, it might not be worth $20. I could say the $20 something else is free since I like their $10 shirts, but then I don't feel like I'm saving. So I say the $40 in apparel cost $30, and whatever I buy with the $20 points costs $10. That usually covers any overpricing vs the typical competition (supermarket, WalMart, etc.).

I was actually in Kmart yesterday (Sat), I finally thought of something that I could buy with my points and think it was worth it: Diet Coke! Kmart was 3/$10, same as Winn Dixie, CVS, etc. So I bought 3 cases of Diet Coke ($10), a pack of paper towel which I needed ($7) and a gallon of distilled water ($1). The Coke was reasonable (today's 3/$8 at Walgreens but elsewhere 3/$10), the paper towel was on sale, and the water was $1 (vs 79c at Winn-Dixie). I redeemed $18 in points and used a coupon for $10 back in points when I spent $15 and redeemed points.

Net cost for all that stuff was $8 in points. And they even got it right the first time through the register, so I'm feeling almost tolerant towards Kmart. Whoever designs and implements their SYW rewards program should still be fired though (again, separate thread).

=aw

rated:
The reason I got so many points I think is because I spent $50 on food:

"Members get $15 in points when you spend $50 in Health, Beauty, Household and Food products at Kmart. Points awarded in 48 hours and valid for 14 days. . INSTORE and ONLINEValid through December 17, 2016 11:59 PM CST"

The items I got for free with points are:

FUSION HYDRAGEL MOISTURIZING
FUSION HYDRAGEL MOISTURIZING
$4.99

Qty: 1

COLG TPSTE REG SUPER51300 COLGATE
COLG TPSTE REG SUPER51300 COLGATE
$2.50

EOS DELICATE PETALS LOTION
EOS DELICATE PETALS LOTION
$3.99

AUS AUSSOME VOL SHAMPOO
AUS AUSSOME VOL SHAMPOO
$4.79

DEGREE DEO STICK ARCTIC EDGE
DEGREE DEO STICK ARCTIC EDGE
$2.99

CARESS BODY WASH ENCHANT FOREVER 13.5 OZ
CARESS BODY WASH ENCHANT FOREVER 13.5 OZ
$4.99

SS ICE BLUE Mouth WASH 33.8OZ
SS ICE BLUE Mouth WASH 33.8OZ
$3.99

CALGON SPRING CHERRY BLOSSOM BODY CREAM
CALGON SPRING CHERRY BLOSSOM BODY CREAM
$4.49

JIF NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTR
JIF NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTR
$2.49

LIPTON GREEN TEA 2.1 OZ 40BAGS
LIPTON GREEN TEA 2.1 OZ 40BAGS
$4.49

KOOL AID JAMMERS ORANGE 10PK/6FZ
KOOL AID JAMMERS ORANGE 10PK/6FZ
$2.49

PROGRESSO 19 OZ MINESTRONE
PROGRESSO 19 OZ MINESTRONE
$1.99

SPONGEBOB FRUIT SNK 10 CT
SPONGEBOB FRUIT SNK 10 CT
$3.09

CAMPBLL CHUNKY BOWL CHICKEN NDL
CAMPBLL CHUNKY BOWL CHICKEN NDL
$2.99

SMART SENSE COFFEE CREAMER ND
SMART SENSE COFFEE CREAMER ND
$3.49

SUN-MAID RAISINS (12CT/0.5OZ)
SUN-MAID RAISINS (12CT/0.5OZ)
$2.79

SWEET MATE ASPARTAMESGR SUB 1.7OZ 50CT
SWEET MATE ASPARTAMESGR SUB 1.7OZ 50CT
$1.00

QUAKER OATS QUICK 42OZ
QUAKER OATS QUICK 42OZ
$4.99

rated:
I unloaded all my coupons off my account because the system keeps using them without asking. Last night I actually hand carried the printed coupon (!) for the $10 back when I spent $15 and redeemed. I figured if there was something else there we wanted, I'd load that one coupon onto my account (on my phone) and go back in. It's the only way to deal with them.

=aw

rated:
Cyberrebate anyone?

rated:
sorry, if the 2nd purchase has nothing back, isn't it just half price?

rated:
fwfisawesome said:   Cyberrebate anyone?
  LOL.

Kmart wouldn't be able to sell a lot of this stuff if they weren't offering 100% back in points. Since some (or many) people will forget to use the points and will let them expire, then it's a win for Kmart

rated:
Be careful. Kmart is a small step away from filing bankruptcy, probably shortly after Christmas. If they file Chapter 11 they may honor SYWR (assuming the bankruptcy trustee concurs), but if they convert to Chapter 13 liquidation you are just another unsecured creditor standing in line. If you get points, use them ASAP and don't rule out the possibility of losing them.

rated:
My mother used to work at Kmart in the 80's when I was a young kid. I used to eat at the cafeteria with my dad while we were shopping and with my mom and dad after she got off work.
I hate to see them go down in flames but one big mistake was when they removed the cafeteria because it did not generate enough money per sq foot.

Used to love the real blue light special.

rated:
Hot dogs in Kmart were pieces of who knows what, simply the worst.

rated:
SYWR points can also be used at Land's End.

rated:
polishdreamer said:   Hot dogs in Kmart were pieces of who knows what, simply the wurst.

Fixed.   

rated:
cmcdan1524 said:   My mother used to work at Kmart in the 80's when I was a young kid. I used to eat at the cafeteria with my dad while we were shopping and with my mom and dad after she got off work.
I hate to see them go down in flames but one big mistake was when they removed the cafeteria because it did not generate enough money per sq foot.

They were suppose to bring he blue light back last year. There were signs all over the front of the store, blue light every 30 minutes. I told my daughter about the my memory's of the 80's and waiting for the blue light, getting a slush puppie and the $1 black and white photo machine. We walked around for an hour and no blue light? I asked the clerk and she said they only turn the blue light on once a week on Saturday. Our food court is a tourist area with postcards and tee shirts that don't get bought. I agree it was a huge mistake to take the cafeteria away. Our grocery and retail stores that cafeteria areas are always packed.

rated:
My Kmart had no such signs. I guess this might be YMMV.

rated:
sdskees said:   I'm tempted to go check out what is there now, but I remember something like this popped up last week at Sears, and I went on a wild goose chase at three local stores and came up empty handed. But I'll definitely be on the lookout if I happen to be near the Kmart left in my area.

any in AZ?

rated:
The problem with my local Kmart is that many items shown on sale on their website , are not on sale in the store. I have to bring a printout or a cell phone showing the online sale prices to the cashier. They usually honor the online price if I show it to them. Their website has been very good with redeeming points and applying promo codes, the free shipping of items was very fast too. I will have to check out this in-store points stuff, excellent deal.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   

any in AZ?

I was at the store in Mesa, on Power Rd

rated:
sisterbear30 said:   
cmcdan1524 said:   My mother used to work at Kmart in the 80's when I was a young kid. I used to eat at the cafeteria with my dad while we were shopping and with my mom and dad after she got off work.

They were suppose to bring he blue light back last year. There were signs all over the front of the store, blue light every 30 minutes. I told my daughter about the my memory's of the 80's and waiting for the blue light, getting a slush puppie and the $1 black and white photo machine. We walked around for an hour and no blue light? I asked the clerk and she said they only turn the blue light on once a week on Saturday. Our food court is a tourist area with postcards and tee shirts that don't get bought. I agree it was a huge mistake to take the cafeteria away. Our grocery and retail stores that cafeteria areas are always packed.

I used to work at Kmart during my high school days in the mid-90s. Worked in front checkout, electronics, gardens, and cafeteria (Little Caesars). Got to say that of the departments worked, the cafeteria was always the busiest during normal shopping hours. I also remembered having to announce the blue light specials all the times during the Summers.

rated:
It's ironic that there's something unique about Kmart, even though they're in their final throes (IMHO). I think it was last year, or early this year, and they had T-shirts and signs for two iconic expressions (though I think most of the under-40s working the store had no idea):

The slogans were "Blue Light Special" and "Attention K-Mart Shoppers". You don't think of "Attention Wal-Mart Shoppers".

When I was in the store (back at start of year) I really thought it might recapture something, but it sounds like they didn't do anything with it. Based on the number of employees who had no idea it meant anything, and presuambly customers even less, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised it went nowhere.

It's sad, but like beautiful old buildings allowed to deteriorate by the owners so no one will want to save them, at this point Kmart is just another badly-run enterprise that needs to be put out of its misery. There's no money to be made trading on history unless you're also appealing today.

=aw

rated:
I now have a couple of years worth of toothpaste and toothbrushes, not to mention a few other random things. Most of what my nearly story had was random junk or soap/body waste/shampoo/toothpaste/toothbrushes. I wasn't able to use the points right away though, looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

If I needed more (non deal) stuff I'd have bought every tube of toothpaste and toothbrush they had, as I didn't see a limit posted. I'm still sitting on a few years of toilet paper and paper towels from a previous FW deal; only so much space available in the house!

rated:
tanner12oz said:   Death spiral
   I hope selling them all off helps save Sears.

rated:
is there someway by looking at my receipt, which item(s) I didn't receive 100% back in points? Everything that I purchased had a sign in front of it, stating 100% back. Subtotal was $38.21. The cashier used the points in my account which was $3.76. I received 345 base points and 27,394 in bonus points. Seems like I should have received 34,450 in bonus points.

rated:
clearanceprincess said:   is there someway by looking at my receipt, which item(s) I didn't receive 100% back in points? Everything that I purchased had a sign in front of it, stating 100% back. Subtotal was $38.21. The cashier used the points in my account which was $3.76. I received 345 base points and 27,394 in bonus points. Seems like I should have received 34,450 in bonus points.

Thats why I said to put any items with 100% cash back on a separate order, and don't redeem any points

rated:
Kmart just never changed with the times. The three stores by me look exactly like they did 40 years ago and it's like walking into a time capsule!!!!!!

rated:
CYBEREBATE
UGGG that's a sore subject with me. First time got all my money back, second time they were gone and I was out $500.  And I all I had were some seriously garbage sleeping bags.

I've always gotten all my Sears/Kmart points.  But I just read an article that they are doing REALLY bad, so I'd get them and spend them immediately.

rated:
Fishmaster said:   Kmart just never changed with the times. The three stores by me look exactly like they did 40 years ago and it's like walking into a time capsule!!!!!!
  I noticed a difference when I walked through last week to use some points.  They has the same brand of boots I bought in college 35 (not 40, but I'll assume it holds for 40 also) years ago, except then, they were all leather, now, that brand's boots are "Man made material".

rated:
One might think, cows123, that you'd be encouraged by them using "man made material"..?

rated:
be there later on

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017