posted 48 years ago by
canoeguy1

Just like last year: You can now download a version of the H&R Block CD that gives you the following deals:
$4.95 for Deluxe
$9.95 for Deluxe+State
$14.95 for Deluxe+State+free efile (a a little more work since you have to replace one of the files in the ISO)

I am not allowed to provide the direct link, so you will have to google it. 

I did this, and it worked just like advertised. Literally just download the ISO and run it (remembering to pretend to back out, to get the additional $5 off)

Views
30 Comments
Add Comment
I rec'd a completely free Deluxe version CD in the mail today, possibly because I am a prior user, but that was not indicated, no gimmicks. Load and go.

hallock5 said:   I rec'd a completely free Deluxe version CD in the mail today, possibly because I am a prior user, but that was not indicated, no gimmicks. Load and go.

Yes, they do that - usually to win back somebody who had not bought the year before, I believe.  Loyal customers get a disk with a $25 offer or so.  The difference between the free and the $25 offer is a line in an XML file which the instructions above basically alter to turn a $25 into a lower cost/free offer.  The file in question is application.xml

Does the free deluxe include state and e file?  

The plain deluxe does not include state.  You need the deluxe + state

hallock5 said:   I rec'd a completely free Deluxe version CD in the mail today, possibly because I am a prior user, but that was not indicated, no gimmicks. Load and go.
  If you post the ISO, you'll become famous.
It's the holy grail for many people this tax season.

However, is this Deluxe alone, or Deluxe+state? Does it include free state e-file?

I'm also wondering whether HR BLock has put a restriction on this particular CD, so it can only be used once. I doubt they want to give away the program for free to whomever gets ahold of the ISO. But you never know...$5 isn't so far from free either.

Muffin said:   The plain deluxe does not include state.  You need the deluxe + state
  Only if you have state taxes to file. Many don't.

Also, Deluxe+state does NOT include state e-file. That's even more money. In some states (like TN) you are not allowed to file manually if you use a program to do your taxes, so you're forced to shell out for e-file if you use TaxCut to do your state return.

I have a very uncomplicated state return, so I simply use the state website. It;s not even worth the $10 extra that HR block charges - as a minimum - vs plain old Deluxe.

XML file..wink-wink

trumpotron said:   XML file..wink-wink
  Sorry, doesn't work. The XML file that allows a free state e-file doesn't give you the $5 off. Also adding state to Deluxe is an additional $5. Total: $10.

canoeguy1 said:   

However, is this Deluxe alone, or Deluxe+state? Does it include free state e-file?

I'm also wondering whether HR BLock has put a restriction on this particular CD, so it can only be used once. I doubt they want to give away the program for free to whomever gets ahold of the ISO. But you never know...$5 isn't so far from free either.

ISO (shamelessly ripped from SD): https://mega.nz/#!uQoUUKgD!TrkKJsc7EgVHy3h50NjY9uxTzPdHxWN5UDy3qWdOGRE
and no - there are no restrictions, the CD in fact tells you to share it with friends, etc.

wwwmaniac said:   
canoeguy1 said:   

ISO (shamelessly ripped from SD): https://mega.nz/#!uQoUUKgD!TrkKJsc7EgVHy3h50NjY9uxTzPdHxWN5UDy3qWdOGRE 
and no - there are no restrictions, the CD in fact tells you to share it with friends, etc.

The SD ISO was $4.95 for Deluxe. 
Are you sure that the one you posted is for free Deluxe?

Followed instruction at the other site and got the Premium + State and Fed efile for $14.95.

BTW - almost got the Deluxe + State and Fed efile for $9.95.

Does it import 2015 Turbo Tax files?

I would be real interested in a set of directions that a computer novice could follow, seems I tried the sd directions and just didn't work out
All it did was load mega on my computer and ask survey questions about how it worked, never got close to HR Block anything
I have windows 10, and use Edge, and no a bunch of jargon will not help

Good deal. I learned the hard way they don't keep a copy of your filing or software if you use their offline version.
I went to refi a loan and couldn't find one year of tax filings where I had used their cd software; TurboTax filings were much easier to locate since they were all kept online.

I have yet to try HR but at this price I'll try it vs TurboTax this upcoming filing season.

No love for us mac users!

LORENW said:   I would be real interested in a set of directions that a computer novice could follow, seems I tried the sd directions and just didn't work out
All it did was load mega on my computer and ask survey questions about how it worked, never got close to HR Block anything

You don't need to load Mega at all. Just download the ISO from their site. There are two download buttons. Choose the grey one that DOESN'T use Mega for the actual download, and uses your browser instead.

canoeguy1 said:   
LORENW said:   I would be real interested in a set of directions that a computer novice could follow, seems I tried the sd directions and just didn't work out

You don't need to load Mega at all. Just download the ISO from their site. There are two download buttons. Choose the grey one that DOESN'T use Mega for the actual download, and uses your browser instead.

Canoe, thanks for the help. It worked just fine, and $10.50 for deluxe state and fed with tax.

cr3s said:   Does it import 2015 Turbo Tax files?
  I used H&R Block last year (desktop) and it imported my previous years TurboTax just fine. I believe it imported the PDF of my final filing and not the TurboTax file.

I looked at the application.xml file from the 2016 iso image, and it seems to be "garbled" (encrypted may be?)
Am I missing something?

9.95 for deluxe+state is working.

Any clue on how to transfer previous tax year TurboTax pdf file to h&r software? H&r does not give a pdf option. Thanks

rachnamoore said:   Any clue on how to transfer previous tax year TurboTax pdf file to h&r software? H&r does not give a pdf option. Thanks
I did it last year and H&R Block says you can do it here for both download & online versions, so it's likely there, but may not be obvious. Have you tried their online help or contacting support?
https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/
https://www.hrblock.com/online-tax-filing/

ETA: Do you have the original Turbo Tax file? Looks like you may be able to import that.

thank you for your response. No I had used TT online and i was able to save pdf. I will try customer service, but looking at the online feedback to folks having the same issue,  seems to be bleak.

canoeguy1 said:   
Muffin said:   The plain deluxe does not include state.  You need the deluxe + state
  Only if you have state taxes to file. Many don't.

Also, Deluxe+state does NOT include state e-file. That's even more money. In some states (like TN) you are not allowed to file manually if you use a program to do your taxes, so you're forced to shell out for e-file if you use TaxCut to do your state return.

Another option is just use a pen and paper to file the state.  I've been doing that for years, it takes only a few minutes and I get one more chance to double check the figures that the software provided.   I don't like to efile the state because I have no visibility into what information is being transferred.  I've also had state paper returns generated by TurboTax/H&R that had a bunch more information than would have been required by the state if I just filled out their forms with a pen.  So that's what I do.  I don't have any conspiracy theories or suspect their is misuse, I just like to see what is going out the door.  I also only efile federal if I have a refund coming (rare). 

$24.95 for me for Premium Plus state/efile etc using ISO in this thread. I then picked 'quit' and it offered $5 more off. So $19.95 for a $65 program. I'll take it. Remember to deny offer first and hopefully save $5.

Is it possible to get the same offers with the CD I received from H&R Block in the mail? I feel better about using that vs an ISO from the internet that nobody knows who might have modified.

Yoksel said:   Is it possible to get the same offers with the CD I received from H&R Block in the mail? I feel better about using that vs an ISO from the internet that nobody knows who might have modified.
  I hope so, too. I was sent the CD with "coupon discount" to $34.95 for Deluxe  Fed and State. My friend, whose taxes I file, received the CD with discount  to $14.95 for Deluxe Fed and State.

LanceMan said:   Good deal. I learned the hard way they don't keep a copy of your filing or software if you use their offline version.
I went to refi a loan and couldn't find one year of tax filings where I had used their cd software; TurboTax filings were much easier to locate since they were all kept online.

That's why I do H&R's online product.  Its not as cheap, but they keep your filings safe and it's one less thing to remember to do.

Otherwise, just make sure you backup the files each year, keep them on a USB drive or something.  You can import them the following year to help get things started.

Thanks OP. I got the deluxe+state+efile for 14.95 plus tax.

Best deal out there by far.

bxd20 said:   
LanceMan said:   Good deal. I learned the hard way they don't keep a copy of your filing or software if you use their offline version.
I went to refi a loan and couldn't find one year of tax filings where I had used their cd software; TurboTax filings were much easier to locate since they were all kept online.

That's why I do H&R's online product.  Its not as cheap, but they keep your filings safe and it's one less thing to remember to do.

Otherwise, just make sure you backup the files each year, keep them on a USB drive or something.  You can import them the following year to help get things started.

Maybe it's just me but I can't imagine a worst thing to store online than your tax returns.  I personally want to retain absolute and total control over mine.

WalterGuy said:   Maybe it's just me but I can't imagine a worst thing to store online than your tax returns.  I personally want to retain absolute and total control over mine.Better MAIL that return in, because if you eFile that return will be retained online.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017