Avatar
posted 3 months ago by
jschuman
Senior Member - 6K

Once again "targeted" Fidelity Premium Service Customers / Active Traders can get Free access to TurboTax Premier 2016 online or via download.

It's advertised on your main accounts summary page ...

Get TurboTax ® Online Premier free

  • Receive a free federal and state tax return
  • TurboTax ® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
  • Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account

I believe non "targeted" Fidelity Premium Service Customers / Active Traders also get some sort of token $20 discount.

12836 Views
66 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Premium Service reqs?

rated:
Thank you! I didn't see this offer last year, but I just checked and it was there! You can get the download version free as well.

rated:
Is the download link not associated with a logged-in account, like it has been in the past, and available to anyone who has the link?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   Premium Service reqs?
$250k. But 401k's count.

rated:
I don't see it. The offer must be for only certain selected Premium customers. (Yes, I am a Fidelity Premium Services customer. No such thing on my Account Summary page.)

rated:
billrubin said:   
needhelpplease said:   Premium Service reqs?
$250k. But 401k's count.

  Is it accessible from company's 401k Fidelity website?  Or you have to create a separate Fidelity account?

rated:
likethemcheap said:   
billrubin said:   
needhelpplease said:   Premium Service reqs?
$250k. But 401k's count.

  Is it accessible from company's 401k Fidelity website?  Or you have to create a separate Fidelity account?

You have to login to fidelity.com. Userid/pw should be the same.

rated:
lgmayka said:   I don't see it. The offer must be for only certain selected Premium customers. (Yes, I am a Fidelity Premium Services customer. No such thing on my Account Summary page.)
That is definitely possible since I did not see it last year when it had been posted here. I have more money with Fidelity this year than I did last year

rated:
I was told that assets more than a mil $ or other factors (such as active trader maybe, etc.).

rated:
titewad said:   Is the download link not associated with a logged-in account, like it has been in the past, and available to anyone who has the link?
I think there is something going on under the covers because when I copy the link it took me to and open it on another machine, I get "Our ApologiesWe cannot find the page you requested.You may have incorrectly typed the address (URL) or clicked an outdated link."

rated:
What is the link ?

rated:
Something strange here. We have over $400,000 in IRAs with Fidelity plus over a $100,000 - non IRA investments.   Got a link? I can't find anything on their site or through google.
 

rated:
Perhaps it isn't just a function of assets, but that combined with active trades per https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active-trader-trading-service-l...

rated:
This link is not working...

rated:
No luck for me and I'm Premium... Disappointed at Fidelity!

rated:
It is not as simple as being a Fidelity Premium Service customer. I am, and do NOT have this offer (just a "save up $20" which is the same as Amazon or Costco pricing, because all but one package is only $10 off). I contacted Fidelity and they said it is a targeted offer. OP, please correct.

rated:
Agreed, I just get the "save up to $20"

rated:
I didn't see it and then clicked the link to "Switch back to the current Summary Experience" at the top of the page. After that, I easily found the free offer.

rated:
publicpersona said:   Perhaps it isn't just a function of assets, but that combined with active trades per https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active-trader-trading-service-levels.
  Don't see anything about Premium level for Fidility site. 
For Active Traders, service/benefit levels are:
​Active Trader Services:  120+ trades in 12 months, $25,000 account minimum
​Active Trader VIP:  500+trades in 12 months, $1,000,000 minimum (across your Fidl Accounts)
​Both of these levels state benefits include Free Turbo Tax Premier Online.  Though I don't see anything saying how to get it.

rated:
Thanks. Being a Premium/Private/etc client is NOT a sufficient condition to get the offer. Just like last year, only one of my family's accounts has the offer, and that person does NOT have the most money there.

Don't bother looking for a link. It's dynamic and killed after a short period of time.

rated:
tcutty said:   
publicpersona said:   Perhaps it isn't just a function of assets, but that combined with active trades per https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active-trader-trading-service-levels. 
  Don't see anything about Premium level for Fidility site. 
For Active Traders, service/benefit levels are:
​Active Trader Services:  120+ trades in 12 months, $25,000 account minimum
​Active Trader VIP:  500+trades in 12 months, $1,000,000 minimum (across your Fidl Accounts)
​Both of these levels state benefits include Free Turbo Tax Premier Online.  Though I don't see anything saying how to get it.

  
Based on ASSETS, not trading volume.  Premium is $250k, Private Client is $1millon.

rated:
On  Bogleheads, some people who did not get the offer have reported getting their Fidelity rep to reimburse them for their purchase after sending them their receipt. Obviously that is going to be a major YMMV.


For those who do have the offer, you can purchase more than one copy by entering a second time (if you want to get Mac and PC, for instance). You can even order 5 for free at the same time just by changing the quantity. For those who may want to share with family members and want to be legal about not sharing their copy.

rated:
So I went to the tax resources page and it also showed the $20 discount even though I had the free offer on the main page. So it seems like it has to be on your front page to get it.

I checked my wife's account and she did not have it. But her account isn't flagged as Premium Services.

rated:
So, there is no discount available for Home & Business on the TurboTax website, but if you need it, you can upgrade within the program for only $10. Install it and then go to to Help -> Upgrade TurboTax.

rated:
I did not see the offer, but I am going to my local fidelity office tomorrow.

rated:
deleted repeated message

rated:
billrubin said:   On  Bogleheads, some people who did not get the offer have reported getting their Fidelity rep to reimburse them for their purchase after sending them their receipt. Obviously that is going to be a major YMMV.


For those who do have the offer, you can purchase more than one copy by entering a second time (if you want to get Mac and PC, for instance). You can even order 5 for free at the same time just by changing the quantity. For those who may want to share with family members and want to be legal about not sharing their copy.

  Did you order 5 actual discs to be mailed to you? or just 1 download that you can share with family members?

rated:
Seal said:     Did you order 5 actual discs to be mailed to you? or just 1 download that you can share with family members?
I didn't find a way to order it on disc. I just ordered 5 licenses for download, and it turns out it's all the same download link (which I guess makes sense). This way when I give copies to my kids and their SO's, I'm actually legal.

rated:
Have been checking my Fidelity page for many weeks and glad to learn that this is offered again for tax year 2016.

Got link on my Fidelity main page on the right side.
Click link to Intuit, signed in and was able to get up to 5 PC downloads(don't know why 5, unless ea. install triggers an internal counter).
Also able to go back for 1 download of Premier for MAC as well.

rated:
I clicked on “Visit Tax Information”, clicked around on a few things on that page, then clicked back on the Summary page, and the Free TurboTax offer showed up.   I am Fidelity Premium.

​Also, if you are in the "new streamlined Summary view”…you might try switching back to the old Summary format to see if the TurboTax deal shows up on the Summary page. 
 

rated:
billrubin said:   So, there is no discount available for Home & Business on the TurboTax website, but if you need it, you can upgrade within the program for only $10. Install it and then go to to Help -> Upgrade TurboTax
  ​this worked like a charm. Thanks !

rated:
Getrichtq said:   
billrubin said:   So, there is no discount available for Home & Business on the TurboTax website, but if you need it, you can upgrade within the program for only $10. Install it and then go to to Help -> Upgrade TurboTax
  ​this worked like a charm. Thanks !

Yeah, I found it strange that they didn't offer a discount on the website, so I checked for a friend who needs it.

rated:
Has anyone qualified for Premium by having $250k in the current 401k instead of the personal account? Rep said it needed to be in your personal account or rolled over retirement, but I've heard otherwise from folks at BH and here.

rated:
NEDeals said:   Has anyone qualified for Premium by having $250k in the current 401k instead of the personal account? Rep said it needed to be in your personal account or rolled over retirement, but I've heard otherwise from folks at BH and here.
No, that won't work. And I don't see anyone on BH claiming that it does. And it actually seems to be significantly more than $250k to get the offer. You may actually be serviced by Private Client Group (check your statement).

rated:
it seems like if you qualify, then you have enough assets that you really shouldn't be doing your taxes on a DIY program at home

rated:
ucsdgaspasser said:   it seems like if you qualify, then you have enough assets that you really shouldn't be doing your taxes on a DIY program at home
Are you an accountant?

I'm not sure how much a professional is going help when you have a bunch of dividends and capital gains. All of that stuff gets downloaded from the financial institution into TurboTax, so it's not like you need someone carefully entering all that info from your tax forms or doing any complicated massaging that a tax program won't do.

rated:
ucsdgaspasser said:   it seems like if you qualify, then you have enough assets that you really shouldn't be doing your taxes on a DIY program at home
 
Except for the obvious, the reason they have money is because they value it, and don't waste it on tax preparers and they do things themselves.

rated:
Always good.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017