posted 3 months ago by
busyryan

Hi all,
Cabela's has the Heritage Rough Rider 22lr on sale for $120. Academy Sports will price match plus take an extra 5% off, bringing it to $114.  You can pick these up on black Friday each year from Academy for $100, but you have to get up early and wait in line. This is the best deal I've seen in a while (because you don't have to pay ffl for shipping, etc.)
Anyway, here's a linky for the gun. Here's a link for the price match policy.

For those not in the know, these are cheaply made (but very reliable) single action cowboy type pistols comparable to the Ruger Single Six. Single Sixes cost about $500, but are made of stronger metal. My brother in law has 10s of 1,000s of rounds through his rough rider (he teaches conceal-carry classes and our state used to require attendees to shoot 50 rounds from a revolver- which most people taking the course didn't have) without fail.

Enjoy,
~Ryan

9 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
is this the cheapest reliable new gun?

rated:
is this the cheapest reliable new gun for personal protection?

rated:
No and No. It's not a carry weapon, and a .22LR is not suitable for home defense. It is a single-action, which means it has to be cocked between shots. It is large. It cannot be sold in some states, such as MN, due to laws regarding melting point (liquidus). I do have one, and it can sometimes be fun to shoot. I imagine it would be fun to take along on a desert hike to do some plinking. But not for self-defense.

rated:
To answer your question...It is cheap for a new firearm, but I have never personally used this pistol. With that being said, most people would agree that a .22 is not the caliber for personal protection. This would be a fun "plinker" for someone who likes to practice with this type of pistol. If you want something for home protection I would look into a shotgun. You can google "Home Protection Guns/Firearms" and read up on the various types of firearms and their strengths/weakness' to determine which would be appropriate for you. No matter what you decide on, make sure you take time to learn how to handle it safely. Also, be careful where you store it in your house so that a child won't stumble upon it and get hurt or hurt someone else. Good luck!

rated:
Like others have said, yes and no. It is cheap for a new gun. However, you should not plan on using this for personal defense. It's just an accurate gun to use for plinking if you like doing that. It's cheap for what it is, but you should get a shotgun for home defense. Pumps can be found for around $200 (example). Semi-autos can be found for under $300 (Example). I'd rather have semi than pump if I wasn't well-practiced, but that's just my opinion.
~ryan

rated:
My "reformed" neighbor tells a story where he broke into a place and was shot 12 times by a .22 and walked away, and he was on the loose for 3 mos. after that. He eventually served 5 yrs in prison for the robbery. The moral of the story is don't use a .22 for self defense. You'll just piss someone off.

rated:
I owned one for several years. It's a pretty good plinking gun for the price. Has a couple of plastic and cast pot metal parts for non-critical areas. Painted (but durable) finish. Wood grips are decent quality. Solid steel where it needs to be (cylinder, barrel). For a tin can/walking in the woods/pest gun, it's fine.

Single action 22LR revolver for home defense? It's a lot better than nothing. Most bad guys won't press forward with a crime when shooting starts, regardless of the caliber.

rated:
John Hinckley came within an eyelash of killing Ronald Reagan with a single .22 round. He also nearly killed press officer James Brady with a six shot revolver in 22 caliber. Don't underestimate the damage you can do with a gun like this.

rated:
I heard gunfire one night, called 911 and was later asked to testify in court as a criminal was shot by a homeowner with a 22 rifle - one shot into the side got the lung and heart and the bad guy died.

I still would go with the pump shotgun or a 9MM and up handgun, but I have never met anyone who claims 22 are no good who was willing to back it up by standing in front of one

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017