WalMart has the ARRIS Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Broadband Cable Modem (Refurbished) on sale for $19.99 with free in-store pickup. This modem has received 4/5 stars based on 77 WalMart customer reviews.

• Delivers your complete personal media experience, at lightning-fast broadband speed
  • DOCSIS 3.0 technology to bond up to 4 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels &mash
  • Includes an enhanced tuner that supports up to a 1GHz downstream input

This modem is currently selling refurbished on Amazon for $24.99 with 4/5 stars based on 1,073 Amazon customer reviews.

Views
26 Comments
Add Comment
Don't need it right now, but at this price, good for backup.

Thanks OP

I think this modem is on the no longer supported list for Comcast.

donrull said:   I think this modem is on the no longer supported list for Comcast.
  Not a Comcast customer here but someone posted elsewhere that the Comcast provided 6121 was no longer supported not BYOM?. Something to check out before buying anyway. This modem is getting old. Superseded by 6141, 6183, and now 6190.

Depends on what speed you want.
my Cable provider (Cox) supports this still for up to 50mbps download.

Is this Arris or Motorola? My cable provider lists this model as approved under "Motorola SB6121" but not seeing it under their approved list for Arris modems:
https://www.metrocast.com/services/internet/compatible-modems

ArmchairArchitect said:   Is this Arris or Motorola? My cable provider lists this model as approved under "Motorola SB6121" but not seeing it under their approved list for Arris modems:
https://www.metrocast.com/services/internet/compatible-modems

Arris = Motorola

deleted

donrull said:   I think this modem is on the no longer supported list for Comcast.

Not true.

There is a lot of misinformation provided by Comcast about support for the Motorola SB6141 and SB6121. Many of their Tech Support reps are claiming these modems are not supported but that is blatantly false. Comcast's own employees don't know what they support. (Considering how abysmal Comcast tech support is that's not too surprising.)

The SB6121 is fully supported by Comcast. They have discontinued LEASING these modems and the leased versions are EOL, RETAIL versions purchased by the customer are current, supported hardware.

Clarification that the only the leased modems are no longer supported: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/SB6121-6141-End-o... 

Device compatibility look up; https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/search 

(Don't bother logging in, just enter the model number in the field on the top right.) This shows the retail SB6121 is supported.

This is a great price on a modem, and considering Comcast now charges $10 / month to lease them, you'll come out ahead after only three months.  

extra $3 for 2 year replacement plan might be worth it... vs 90 day warranty

SB6141 for $32.99 Walmart link

This would be a great deal if Charter would allow customers to bring their own modem.  But they do love their $120 rental each and every year.  Merry Christmas to you, Charter.

DrKlahn said:   This would be a great deal if Charter would allow customers to bring their own modem.  But they do love their $120 rental each and every year.  Merry Christmas to you, Charter.

My understanding is that Charter is REQUIRED to allow customers to use their own cable modem.  They even have a list of approved equipment:

http://www.charter.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter... 

The SB6121 is on the list. 

These companies hate it when their customers use their own modems and discourage it whenever possible.  Customer owned equipment deprives them of their monthly lease fees and the obscene profit they make on relatively cheap hardware. 

Edit:  Yes, Charter must allow you to use your own modem:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/charter-bl... 

Unfortunately your bill will remain the same even if you supply your own modem.  Charter is under pressure from the FCC to break out the equipment lease costs so that may change in the future.

cox? 50mpbs will be plenty..

I am using one right now.

marcopolomle said:   

Be aware that next time you have a problem and have to call Comcast they will probably tell you the modem's no longer supported, is EOL, and you need to buy a new one.  I've been told that twice and have had to educate the Comcast Tech Support reps because they don't seem to read their memos.  

Check out my earlier post for links to proof of continued Comcast support.

I paid a total of $74.16 for mine (new) back in August of 2014. Still using it w/ Comcast.
I know it's a refurb but why has the price dropped like a rock?

nwrain said:   
marcopolomle said:   

Be aware that next time you have a problem and have to call Comcast they will probably tell you the modem's no longer supported, is EOL, and you need to buy a new one.  I've been told that twice and have had to educate the Comcast Tech Support reps because they don't seem to read their memos.  

I've been dealing with the issue for years with Comcast and them telling me my Cisco modem isn't supported.  When you ask what that means, they can't tell you.  The only thing on their cue card seems to be "you'll get faster service with a new modem."   Of course, they can't tell you how that is when your current modem supports speeds almost twice what you're paying for.    You have to just ignore the calls and emails telling you that you have to upgrade.  That is, of course, if you can get them to provision it in the first place.  Comcast does give you the ability to do that yourself in some cases without talking to a tech support rep.

nwrain said:   
DrKlahn said:   This would be a great deal if Charter would allow customers to bring their own modem.  But they do love their $120 rental each and every year.  Merry Christmas to you, Charter.

My understanding is that Charter is REQUIRED to allow customers to use their own cable modem.  They even have a list of approved equipment:

http://www.charter.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter... 

The SB6121 is on the list. 

These companies hate it when their customers use their own modems and discourage it whenever possible.  Customer owned equipment deprives them of their monthly lease fees and the obscene profit they make on relatively cheap hardware. 

Edit:  Yes, Charter must allow you to use your own modem:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/charter-bl... 

Unfortunately your bill will remain the same even if you supply your own modem.  Charter is under pressure from the FCC to break out the equipment lease costs so that may change in the future.

Maybe this is a regional thing, but I have Charter and have been using my own modem for several years; in fact, I just bought a new one. They used to charge ~$7 a month, but now the fee is rolled into the price. So, you can have your own modem, but it does not lower your bill.

nwrain said:   
marcopolomle said:   

The reason I said that is that I have educated Comcast about it.

ablang said:   I paid a total of $74.16 for mine (new) back in August of 2014. Still using it w/ Comcast.

Mainly because this is a 4 channel modem. This has a max theoretical download speed of ~175mbs but most cable companies don't want to provision plans over 1/2 to 1/3 of that speed so they max they'd want to let you use if for is a 50-75mb plan depending on the specific carrier which now a days only overs the lower tiers for most carriers. Newer modems with 8+ channels are needed for the faster speeds that carriers support and docsis 3.1 is also starting to become available. Don't let the .1 change in the version number fool you it actually has more significant changes in the way things are done IMO than going from docsis 1 to docsis 3 did.

still using this one but last time got it for $25

esteinbrenner said:   
ablang said:   I paid a total of $74.16 for mine (new) back in August of 2014. Still using it w/ Comcast.

Mainly because this is a 4 channel modem. This has a max theoretical download speed of ~175mbs but most cable companies don't want to provision plans over 1/2 to 1/3 of that speed so they max they'd want to let you use if for is a 50-75mb plan depending on the specific carrier which now a days only overs the lower tiers for most carriers. Newer modems with 8+ channels are needed for the faster speeds that carriers support and docsis 3.1 is also starting to become available. Don't let the .1 change in the version number fool you it actually has more significant changes in the way things are done IMO than going from docsis 1 to docsis 3 did.

What's an affordable modem that would support ~150 down?

alamo11 said:   
esteinbrenner said:   

SB6141. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-8x4-DOCSIS-3-0-Ca... 

SB6183. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6183-DOCSIS-3-0-Cable-...

mathfaster said:   
alamo11 said:   
esteinbrenner said:   

SB6141. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-8x4-DOCSIS-3-0-Ca... 

SB6183. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6183-DOCSIS-3-0-Cable-...

I'd go with the 6183 or a similar 16 channel modem. Depending on your carrier they may or may not want to actually allow you to use an 8 channel modem for a 150mbs plan. None should have a problem with a 16 channel modem for a 150mbps plan and it is more future proof. I don't think there are any US cable co's that don't support the surfboard modems but you should check your providers list of supported modems to be sure. 

I don't know when they discontinue or claim to not support this router but I've been using it, I actually called Comcast CSR to activate it sometime in mid-Oct
Currently got 115 Mbps down

Back in stock

Because DOCSIS 3.1 modems are starting to roll out. The 6121 is only capable of bonding 4 channels downstream which is pretty mediocre...unless you are on a very low-rate plan.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017