posted 48 years ago by
graffbag

Home Depot just dropped the price of the Eco Plugs Wi-Fi Controlled Outlet, model # CT-065W from an original price of $19.88 to $7.44. My local HD store in Durham, NC showed 5 in stock. When I went in I found 4 on the shelf that I purchased. Other Home Depot locations in the Triangle area of North Carolina show availability from 2 to 18 units at the same price. The web site does show that it is available to be shipped.

According to various posts online these are manufactured by KAB Enterprises. Link to product page.

These can be controlled from a free iOS or Android app. I found the app to work OK, though I did have some difficulty figuring out how to navigate out of the tutorial to setup the device.

There is lots of great info about hacking these devices for those who are so inclined.

Of note, these devices apparently 'phone home' to a server in China. There is alternative firmware available available which eliminates this risk.

Views
23 Comments
Add Comment
The big question is, can they work with Alexa?

ElGuache said:   The big question is, can they work with Alexa?
  Don't know but this is from one of the reviews.

"Pros: Works well, easy setup.
Cons: Sends your WiFi configuration (SSID and password) in clear text to a server in Taiwan as part of the setup. Turning off the "cloud" features doesn't stop it from phoning home continuously.
Geeks: It's based on an ESP8266, hack as desired."

No thanks.

In answer to controlling via Amazon Alexa, this appears to be possible via HomeBridge. See the following on the Issues page of the HomeBridge GitHub project for more info. 

ElGuache said:   The big question is, can they work with Alexa?
  In the Q&A section on Wal mart, the manufacturer responded as follows...

Q. Does this work with echo
by Randy 11/20/2016

A. No, it's not work with Echo.
by KAB Sales Team12/8/2016

www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-CT-065W-WorkChoice-1-Ol-Wi-Fi-Indoor-...

I Bought 4 boxes of these last year at HomeDepot for the same price, but it was a better deal and it came with 2 in the box so I got total of 8 plugs.

Everybody nowadays has a spare outdated router sitting in a closet... Set one up with a new EOT-only wifi network and a decoy bogus login/password you don't care about on it... then Taiwan gets no data of any value to them at all... and the security issues of what else is sharing your network go away.

limerickey said:   Everybody nowadays has a spare outdated router sitting in a closet... Set one up with a new EOT-only wifi network and a decoy bogus login/password you don't care about on it... then Taiwan gets no data of any value to them at all... and the security issues of what else is sharing your network go away.
Any link to a tutorial for doing that?

limerickey said:   Everybody nowadays has a spare outdated router sitting in a closet... Set one up with a new EOT-only wifi network and a decoy bogus login/password you don't care about on it... then Taiwan gets no data of any value to them at all... and the security issues of what else is sharing your network go away.
  It kind of defeats the point of buying this device, because you would have to switch to this wifi on your phone every time you want to control the device with the app.     

aleck said:   
  It kind of defeats the point of buying this device, because you would have to switch to this wifi on your phone every time you want to control the device with the app.     

You're wrong

marcopolomle said:   
Any link to a tutorial for doing that?

Every router comes with a setup guide.  Follow it for the one in your closet.  You just want to end up with another wifi network in your house that you can tell these plugs to connect to.

aleck said:   

That's not how these work... but it's fine if you want to continue to give advice on a product you don't know anything about. You can control these from anywhere... it just needs an active connection to the internet to work. If you needed to be on the same network, it would kinda defeat the purpose/wouldn't need to talk to an external server.

I've got two of these and they're working just fine on an old crap router that's hardwired to my U-Verse box.

Now I am getting confused 

Short answer:  No

So why do you need these and what do you use them for?

ablang said:   So why do you need these and what do you use them for?
I use quite a few of these (another brand) to turn different lights on and off, remotely from cellular and or wifi in the same or different dwelling. I'm considering to give this brand a try because the price.

HTH

I have these and works fine.   You can set it up with guest wifi or another router and enable cloud option

Thanks OP! Picked up 2. May get more if they turn out to be useful. Thanks for the comments/reviews good and bad.

ablang said:   So why do you need these and what do you use them for?
  [ahnold] Who is your daddy and what does he do?  [/ahnold]

DrenePr said:   I Bought 4 boxes of these last year at HomeDepot for the same price, but it was a better deal and it came with 2 in the box so I got total of 8 plugs.
Same here, and they have been very reliable. I recommend setting them up on a guest network, as provided by most modern routers, and disable access to your LAN from the guest network. No need for a separate router. There is nothing special about these outlets in that respect and I'd recommend putting any item outside your LAN that doesn't need access to it.

FYI I'm using a T-Mobile AC1900 router (there's a deal on that) and it supports guest networks. Rock solid too.

Excellent deals.

price is little high for this item.

TellyTubby said:   
DrenePr said:   I Bought 4 boxes of these last year at HomeDepot for the same price, but it was a better deal and it came with 2 in the box so I got total of 8 plugs.
Same here, and they have been very reliable. I recommend setting them up on a guest network, as provided by most modern routers, and disable access to your LAN from the guest network. No need for a separate router. There is nothing special about these outlets in that respect and I'd recommend putting any item outside your LAN that doesn't need access to it.

FYI I'm using a T-Mobile AC1900 router (there's a deal on that) and it supports guest networks. Rock solid too.

Problem with that approach is it leaves any device using your guest network vulnerable.

There is ZERO justification for this device communicating the SSD and network password to an outside server.  That's a severe vulnerability and breach of the most basic security no-no's, which leads me to believe the product developers were either 1) instructed to inject vulnerabilities by a malicious actor or 2) know so little about security that they didn't think about it at all, which means there are probably plenty of other vulnerabilities.

Love the device's practical uses, but as someone who has to worry about computer security in my day job (and sees what goes on all day, every day with attempted security breaches), I wouldn't add it to my home network.   Not even a guest network on an isolated device.

rbstern said:   
TellyTubby said:   

Problem with that approach is it leaves any device using your guest network vulnerable.

There is ZERO justification for this device communicating the SSD and network password to an outside server.  That's a severe vulnerability and breach of the most basic security no-no's, which leads me to believe the product developers were either 1) instructed to inject vulnerabilities by a malicious actor or 2) know so little about security that they didn't think about it at all, which means there are probably plenty of other vulnerabilities.

Love the device's practical uses, but as someone who has to worry about computer security in my day job (and sees what goes on all day, every day with attempted security breaches), I wouldn't add it to my home network.   Not even a guest network on an isolated device.

You concerns are definitely valid. It appears that the reason they decided to do this was to make adding additional plugs easier, but it's more than a little insane to take this approach. However, using a guest network with no LAN access and remote admin disabled, I feel OK about it. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017