posted 48 years ago by
enricbrown
Enthusiastic Member

Price dropped on the Roamio 1TB - lifetime subscription
https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-OTA-DVR-Compatible/dp/B01DR4T...

Views
26 Comments
Add Comment
Only $15 more than the 'great deals' I got in 2015, but it seems very expensive after getting the refurbs for $199 last month. Regardless, green for OP for those who missed out!

Also, the disk is 1t.

couldn't think of a better device to cut the cable with

thanks op

Wads said:   couldn't think of a better device to cut the cable with

thanks op

If this could stream slingTV or DTV now... for wife...

needhelpplease said:   

thanks op

All merged into one guide for simplicity.  The wife would love it.

needhelpplease said:   

thanks op

Get your wife a free Apple TV with the DirecTV Now trial.  It supports Sling TV and Vue as well.  

Happy streaming!

I love mine makes things a lot better

wizwor said:   
needhelpplease said:   

thanks op

Get your wife a free Apple TV with the DirecTV Now trial.  It supports Sling TV and Vue as well.  

Happy streaming!

so $35 for a  free Apple TV with the DirecTV Now? any cashback etc to double dip??

No. 3x$35 for the DirecTV Now three month trial. The Apple TV runs $150, so a great deal even if you do not want DirecTV Now.

Refurbs still best deal when found.

My $199 refurb was crazy defective. The hard drive sounded like a jet engine with loose bearings. So loud. Returned it within a day and ended up getting DTVNow/Apple TV deal.

I know it's not cutting the cord, rather shifting the subscription, but at $35/month, I can live with that. OTA is kind of slim pickings where I am.

It still be a good deals at this price

This is a good deals for this cheap value.

wizwor said:   Only $15 more than the 'https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/tivo-roamio-ota-lifetime-299-99/' I got in 2015, but it seems very expensive after getting the refurbs for https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/2016/11/22/tivo-white-sale-ota-wlifetime-199-99/. Regardless, green for OP for those who missed out!

Also, the disk is 1t.

Wasn't the 2015 version only 500MB, so many customers were spending an extra $100 to upgrade the hard drive. 1TB should be enough unless you like to store years of old stuff that you're never going to watch.

Green if you like Tivo. Lifetime subscription included in the price is the only way to go.

johnny98 said:   
wizwor said:   Only $15 more than the 'https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/tivo-roamio-ota-lifetime-299-99/ ' I got in 2015, but it seems very expensive after getting the refurbs for https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/2016/11/22/tivo-white-sale-ota-wlifetime-199-99/. Regardless, green for OP for those who missed out!

Also, the disk is 1t.

Wasn't the 2015 version only 500MB, so many customers were spending an extra $100 to upgrade the hard drive. 1TB should be enough unless you like to store years of old stuff that you're never going to watch.

The $299 deal and the $199 refurb deal were both 500g models -- Gigabyte not Megabyte.  I don't know anyone who upgraded their 500g TiVo.  I didn't.  If you are a time shifter, 500g is plenty of space.  If you are a collector, 1t is not nearly enough.  I think they upgraded to the 1t disk to level the storage playing field with Channel Master's 1t DVR+ which was discounted over the holidays.

Personally, I would pay $15 more for the extra storage, but 

coolbreeze said:   My $199 refurb was crazy defective. The hard drive sounded like a jet engine with loose bearings. So loud. Returned it within a day and ended up getting DTVNow/Apple TV deal.

I know it's not cutting the cord, rather shifting the subscription, but at $35/month, I can live with that. OTA is kind of slim pickings where I am.

I have had a similar problem with a refurb.  there is a known problem C423 where the unit cannot see any other TIVO on the net work.   The refurb tuner is decidedly inferior to my Series 3.  As long as I can get Youtube there is precious little on the other  network services worth having.  I do have the advantage of livign halfway between Asutin adn San Antonio.

TIVO seems just about right for me,Thanks OP

Excellent work for me, THX.

good deals for me,maybe will get one.Ty

An Amazon 3rd party had a $312 price for a few hours this morning, then went out of stock. The $2.99 savings might not be enough to change from Amazon.com as a seller, but the loss of sales tax could be a good reason to use a 3rd party seller. Alas, the 3rd parties are currently higher than the $314.99 Amazon price at the time of this post.

If anyone is wanting to keep a zillion shows, there are numerous inet videos on how to transplant a new huge drive into your TiVo. The nice thing is the TiVo software is NOT on the hard drive, but rather inside the machine board itself, so a new hard drive is unscrew and unplug, and re plug and re screw and done.

Same thing when a Tivo has a failure, most of the time it is the hard drive, so transplant a new one, and in most cases it fixes the bellyache without sending it in, and even worse, the loss of your lifetime sub, since it is on one machine only.

These statements are for Roamio and Bolt versions only and no other models previous to these.

​WD Green 2tb hard drive is about $75 shipped on Amazon, that would keep a lot of shows, 3 tb is the limit for the machines ate a little over $100

TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB with lifetime now showing as 228.29 shipped from 3rd party and 266.11 from Amazon with free prime shipping. Seems pretty good to me?!

how to transplant a new huge drive into your TiVo.
I agree a bigger HD is nice (I upgraded my ancient S2DT from 80GB to 500GB years ago). But it's not the only solution.

I keep thinking I should upgrade my Premier HD from 320GB to something modern, but I end up buying external HDs for my computer. I use kmttg (or I could use TiVo's software) to transfer from the TiVo to my computer. It's another alternative and essentially unlimited storage. The only downside is that there's some bug that closed captions fall off on the transfer back to the TiVo, there are workarounds but I haven't yet mastered them.

I assume the Roamio and Bolt allow this kind of transfer too, though I haven't tried it.

=aw

danripley said:   TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB with lifetime now showing as 228.29 shipped from 3rd party and 266.11 from Amazon with free prime shipping. Seems pretty good to me?!

Are you sure you're looking at the same product?  Amazon showed the Tivo 1TB Roamio in the OP as $314.99 all day when you posted and camelcamelcamel confirms the same....

LORENW said:   If anyone is wanting to keep a zillion shows, there are numerous inet videos on how to transplant a new huge drive into your TiVo. The nice thing is the TiVo software is NOT on the hard drive, but rather inside the machine board itself, so a new hard drive is unscrew and unplug, and re plug and re screw and done.

Same thing when a Tivo has a failure, most of the time it is the hard drive, so transplant a new one, and in most cases it fixes the bellyache without sending it in, and even worse, the loss of your lifetime sub, since it is on one machine only.

These statements are for Roamio and Bolt versions only and no other models previous to these.

​WD Green 2tb hard drive is about $75 shipped on Amazon, that would keep a lot of shows, 3 tb is the limit for the machines ate a little over $100

I have a 6TB in my Roamio+, you have to do more to get it working. 3TB and under is just drop in and your done, anything more than that you have to connect to a computer and run some software to unlock the rest of the space.

Yes ... it was brief (a few hours) but there was a 3rd party (i think a scammer) selling it for that price which caused Amazon to lower their price.  (Amazon?) then removed the 3rd party seller (=11.0ptXTV-ONLINE-SHOP) and returned their price back to its previous amount.   There was also a thread created on this site that mentions it: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1549063 from that date.  Not sure how many people were quick enough to get the deal.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017