posted 3 months ago by
ragingwookiee
Senior Member - 6K

Posted with ToGo

FreedomPop Global 3-In-1 SIM Kit + 1GB Bonus Data
$0.01
https://www.freedompop.com/offer/pennysimaffpromo

• FreedomPop Global SIM Kit (Voice/Text/Data Bundle)
  • 1GB of FreedomPop Bonus Data
  • 1GB Global Unlimited Trial
  • FreedomPop Premium Plus Trial

69 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Mar. 30, 2017 @ 6:22pm
rated:
Just so everyone knows, this is for GSM phones only.

rated:
Not bad to activate any GSM phone using this SIM and port numbers from services such as Vonage or other home providers and take them to Google Voice. In any case, doesnt hurt to activate this service for your child or grandparents who use less than 200 minutes anyways. If you try to cancel the trial, it offers to keep the service and double your data for next 6 months!

rated:
keeps saying credit card doesn't work.... tried several cards. all don't work

rated:
worked for me

rated:
Saw it is free every month for 200mins , 500 text, 200mb data. The 1gb free data is for 1st month only. When do we need to pay the monthly fee? Sorry if i miss the fine print

rated:
Two questions:

Is there a limit on the number of SIMs one can order?
Why is this thread not getting any traction?

rated:
Does the LG Volt sold by Sprint work with this?
LG Volt

rated:
Love it!

rated:
po90260 said:   Does the LG Volt sold by Sprint work with this?
LG Volt 

No. This is for GSM phones only.

rated:
ocean935 said:   Two questions:

Because FreedomPops is evil.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   

It's a snake that we all know will bite you. Just stay away from it's head and you will be okay. I put a prepaid Visa GC from Swagbucks on it with a $0.48 balance on it. They tried to charge extra within the first few days but couldn't. They never tried to contact me and didn't cut it off, so they knew they were wrong.  

rated:
I think it's worth the extra 98¢ to get a 8gb microSd card here
A couple years ago I got a usb modem from these guys, and followed the clear directions a FW member posted to avoid getting "bit".  I've never gotten any surprises from FP, and plenty of free data and a few nice phones on the cheap

rated:
thanks op

rated:
chubbypops said:   
marcopolomle said:   

It's a snake that we all know will bite you. Just stay away from it's head and you will be okay. I put a prepaid Visa GC from Swagbucks on it with a $0.48 balance on it. They tried to charge extra within the first few days but couldn't. They never tried to contact me and didn't cut it off, so they knew they were wrong.  

Thanks Chubbypops
I did manage to downgrade my plan to free 200/500/200 & removed Add-on service using your link.
However, I am unable to turn off automatic top up since they require you to have $5 in your account to do so.
But I used a prepaid card with a <$1 balance so I am assuming they won't be able to charge me for automatic top up.

rated:
po90260 said:   Does the LG Volt sold by Sprint work with this?
LG Volt 

If you like that model buy it from ​FreedomPop.

rated:
Has anyone tried their "Global Free 100" international Plan for calling overseas for free ?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Has anyone tried their "Global Free 100" international Plan for calling overseas for free ?
  Yes.  I have successfully used it to call the UK and India

rated:
ChalPhut said:   
marcopolomle said:   Has anyone tried their "Global Free 100" international Plan for calling overseas for free ?
  Yes.  I have successfully used it to call the UK and India

Thanks.
How is the call quality?

rated:
I wish I had never gotten involved with this company.
They charged me services for a SIM card that I ordered but never activated. Reason I did not bother activating was because I had ordered another SIM card previously and found the service to be really spotty (many times cannot make or recieve calls) and unreliable. The $20.00 activation fee was not worth me signing up on another plan so I just left the second one in an envelope. 
I downgraded the first plan but to my surprise I was hit with a $27.00 charge this month. I contacted CS and was informed I was charged for the unopened, unused SIM, WTF??? So they just went in and used the credit info from my first account without my authorization.

I am not happy one bit about this.

So essentially I would have to activate the second SIM ($20) in order to downgrade the service to free...?

I don't like this one bit. 

rated:
JackJumper said:   I wish I had never gotten involved with this company.
They charged me services for a SIM card that I ordered but never activated. Reason I did not bother activating was because I had ordered another SIM card previously and found the service to be really spotty (many times cannot make or receive calls) and unreliable. The $20.00 activation fee was not worth me signing up on another plan so I just left the second one in an envelope. 
I downgraded the first plan but to my surprise I was hit with a $27.00 charge this month. I contacted CS and was informed I was charged for the unopened, unused SIM, WTF??? So they just went in and used the credit info from my first account without my authorization.

I am not happy one bit about this.

So essentially I would have to activate the second SIM ($20) in order to downgrade the service to free...?

I don't like this one bit. 

log on to your FP account and hover over your acct name in top right hand corner, do you see a drop down list of sims?

rated:
Yup, when you ordered that SIM you agreed to let them activate it, and you even had to check a box confirming you understood it, for the order to go through and complete.  

rated:
This will probably sound like a strange question, but is there any place to set up a virtual online debit card and just put a small amount of money on it? I recall such things existed in the mid 00s and I used one once on a dubious purchase that turned out legitimate, fortunately. From what I'm reading, FP sometimes charges people even if they have properly cancelled their upcoming premium plan? I had thought about just using PayPal prior to reading about that, but can PayPal be charged a recurring charge without your direct consent to PayPal?

rated:
DarthWoo said:   This will probably sound like a strange question, but is there any place to set up a virtual online debit card and just put a small amount of money on it? I recall such things existed in the mid 00s and I used one once on a dubious purchase that turned out legitimate, fortunately. From what I'm reading, FP sometimes charges people even if they have properly cancelled their upcoming premium plan? I had thought about just using PayPal prior to reading about that, but can PayPal be charged a recurring charge without your direct consent to PayPal?
  I am not sure about the virtual card, but I think many banks that issue cards will issue a number for one time use. You might contact the issuer of your card about that. I didn't know that FP accepted Paypal, but they will make recurring payments without your direct approval. I believe it is based on approval from you to the payee. You can however immediately go into your Paypal account and cancel any recurring payments to them there. I'm not 100% certain that would be fast enough to keep them from getting one in on you. Paypal also used to issue one time use virtual card numbers, but since they changed hands I'm not sure if they still do.

rated:
So I inserted the FreedomPop SIM into my unlocked AT&T alcatel 4060A.
Setup the APN to FreedomPop.foggmobile.com , installed the FreedomPop App but still can't make any calls?
Restarted the phone also but says 'emergency calls only"
What am I doing wrong?

rated:
You miss one step: turning on international roaming.

rated:
i lost my last dollar sim and actually paid to have rollover data(monthly 3.99) - freedom pop: "we can delete the account and you have to buy a new account and sim". What a bummer for a sim I only used to travel intl.

rated:
snova168 said:   You miss one step: turning on international roaming.
  I forgot to mention but I did that too.
Now what?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   So I inserted the FreedomPop SIM into my unlocked AT&T alcatel 4060A.
Setup the APN to FreedomPop. foggmobile.com , installed the FreedomPop App but still can't make any calls?
What am I doing wrong?

I have setup three of them and had this happen on one. I didn't enable international roaming on any of them. The one that didn't work, I removed the SIM, uninstalled the app, reinstalled the app without the SIM in, reinserted the SIM and restarted. It worked then, but took a couple of minutes to be recognized and take off. I actually turned the data off completely on all of them. Did everything on Wi-Fi.

rated:
They all actually all worked for text and call before setting the APN. I did make sure and select the new APN and test the data on them before turning it off. All ran on HSPA+ and loaded a page fairly quickly. Good enough for what it is.

rated:
chubbypops said:   
marcopolomle said:   So I inserted the FreedomPop SIM into my unlocked AT&T alcatel 4060A.
Setup the APN to FreedomPop. foggmobile.com , installed the FreedomPop App but still can't make any calls?
What am I doing wrong?

I have setup three of them and had this happen on one. I didn't enable international roaming on any of them. The one that didn't work, I removed the SIM, uninstalled the app, reinstalled the app without the SIM in, reinserted the SIM and restarted. It worked then, but took a couple of minutes to be recognized and take off. I actually turned the data off completely on all of them. Did everything on Wi-Fi.

Thanks chubbypops
That worked but How do I know if data works?
I have 1.24 GB of data and want to test it out if works reliably and not like R+ on BBQ Brisket these days

EDIT: Looks like you read my mind.

rated:
I didn't run a speed test, just let it load Yahoo and it went fine. Could install Ookla and check, but with 8GB phone I didn't bother and use up the space.

rated:
chubbypops said:   I didn't run a speed test, just let it load Yahoo and it went fine. Could install Ookla and check, but with 8GB phone I didn't bother and use up the space.
Call works over WiFi but can't make data to work.
I'll let it sit overnight and see if it works in the morning.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
chubbypops said:   I didn't run a speed test, just let it load Yahoo and it went fine. Could install Ookla and check, but with 8GB phone I didn't bother and use up the space.

Turning the data on from Settings>Data Usage may not turn it on. If you turn it off from there then you also have to go to Settings>Mobile Networks>Mobile Data and make sure the box is checked to turn it back on.. Just turning it on from Data Usage doesn't turn it back on. Try that, then turn off Wi-Fi and try it. If no go, double check your APN, but I am sure you have done that. If still nothing, I would completely delete the new APN and redo it. Both the slider in Data Usage has to be on and the box checked in Mobile Data.

rated:
chubbypops said:   
marcopolomle said:   

Turning the data on from Settings>Data Usage may not turn it on. If you turn it off from there then you also have to go to Settings>Mobile Networks>Mobile Data and make sure the box is checked to turn it back on.. Just turning it on from Data Usage doesn't turn it back on. Try that, then turn off Wi-Fi and try it. If no go, double check your APN, but I am sure you have done that. If still nothing, I would completely delete the new APN and redo it. Both the slider in Data Usage has to be on and the box checked in Mobile Data.

Did you set the APN to FreedomPop. foggmobile.com ?

These are my exact steps:
1. Installed the FreedomPop app 
2. Inserted the FreedomPop SIM into my unlocked AT&T Alcatel IDEAL 
3. Set the APN to FreedomPop. foggmobile.com
4. Went to Settings>Mobile Networks>Mobile Data and checked the box
5. Went to Settings>Mobile Networks>Mobile Data > International roaming and checked the box

The slider in Data Usage is grayed out but is on (guess it's grayed out since there is no data)
Also at the top it says "No Service"
Is it possible that APN setting is incorrect and should be set to something different?

rated:
Sounds like it doesn't see your SIM or it is dead. That APN is the one that works for me. I would try removing and replacing the SIM again and after that I would call them with the SIM number and see what they say. When you put in a different SIM in is it recognized?

rated:
When it worked on Wi-Fi did it say FreedomPop at the top?

rated:
Hi guys, does anyone tried this on a dual sim phone and if it works? And using wifi to call thru hangouts or whatsapp, does it eat into your data? Thanks for any advice.

rated:
chubbypops said:   Sounds like it doesn't see your SIM or it is dead. That APN is the one that works for me. I would try removing and replacing the SIM again and after that I would call them with the SIM number and see what they say. When you put in a different SIM in is it recognized?
When I first set it up I was able to make a call on WiFi and the phone # was the one associated with the SIM. The FP App even mentioned the Phone # on the screen.
If the SIM was dead then it shouldn't be able to tell the number associated with SIM correct?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017