posted 2 months ago by
freakinout
Nerdy Member

NYCE ZigBee door hinges are on clearance at Lowes and store stock is hit or miss. If you can find on line for store pick-up that's the way to go, but keep in mind that if online shows zero in store there may be one or two ( at least that's been my experience).   Works with smart things, comes in 2 sizes and 2 finishes.  Most exterior doors use 4", most interior doors use 3.5"

https://www.irisbylowes.com/products/#!/?categories=4&uses=12 

11 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Middling reviews on Amazon.

rated:
Isn't $25 the retail price? Where's the deal?

rated:
BostonOne said:   Middling reviews on Amazon

I did a lot of research on these prior to buying.  the biggest issue seems to be that the two sets-screws they give you might not be long enough for your application.  when I bought mine I also bought a pack of 4-40 pan head screws ( can't remember the length, but it was shortest ones Lowes had in stock in the little drawers, I will see if i can find exact size later and update).  I put in 6 of these hinges.  I only tried the short set screw on one door, was so far off never tried another.  On the rest of doors about 50% worked fine with long set screw, but the other three needed the longer pan head.  So far I haven't has a single false reading that I'm aware of ( been spot checking them), but it's only been a week so hard to say what long term experience will be like.  I have been watching these for some time, $40 seemed like too much, but $25 was hard to resist.  At this point only time will tell, but so far so good

rated:
rsuaver said:   Isn't $25 the retail price? Where's the deal?
$39 is Lowes regular retail, closer to $45 on Amazon  

Why don't you look to see if you can find ANYWHERE else for $25 or less before giving red!

rated:
Wow, I found two of the 4 inch in silver for $10.68. Thanks OP.

rated:
Not sure why this is stated as Z-Wave, according to NYCE this is zigbee and not Z-Wave. Sure smart things and Iris do support zigbee, but other popular z-wave systems by MiCasaVerde and others don't.
NYCE specs 

I'm also with those worried about replacing a 4-screw hinge with a 2-screw hinge on heavy exterior door...  just had 3 doors replaced and each new fiberglass door is pretty heavy!

rated:
jeffd said:   Not sure why this is stated as Z-Wave, according to NYCE this is zigbee and not Z-Wave. Sure smart things and Iris do support zigbee, but other popular z-wave systems by MiCasaVerde and others don't.
NYCE specs 

I'm also with those worried about replacing a 4-screw hinge with a 2-screw hinge on heavy exterior door...  just had 3 doors replaced and each new fiberglass door is pretty heavy!

If you still end up using it, I would recommend using it on the bottom hinge. 

rated:
jeffd said:   Not sure why this is stated as Z-Wave, according to NYCE this is zigbee and not Z-Wave. Sure smart things and Iris do support zigbee, but other popular z-wave systems by MiCasaVerde and others don't.
NYCE specs 

My bad, Thanks for the correction.  I corrected in Title and OP

rated:
Why not just make it a fourth hinge?
jeffd said: I'm also with those worried about replacing a 4-screw hinge with a 2-screw hinge on heavy exterior door... just had 3 doors replaced and each new fiberglass door is pretty heavy!

rated:
jedipunk said:   Why not just make it a fourth hinge?
jeffd said: I'm also with those worried about replacing a 4-screw hinge with a 2-screw hinge on heavy exterior door... just had 3 doors replaced and each new fiberglass door is pretty heavy!

You could for sure, just a little more involved than replacing one existing

rated:
jedipunk said:   Why not just make it a fourth hinge?

Interesting idea I didn't think about. Not sure if the manufacturer would say that invalidates my warranty...
​speaking of the manufacturer, they use some funky hinges with these spacer like things which makes putting a door on the hinges a real PITA if those spacers fall out. I think it's stupid, but guess there's a reason I overlooked.

​I picked up a few of these even though I'm only zwave and insteon at the moment, need to figure out if I'm adding a ST hub to get some other protocols supported.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017