You can save on car rental coverage

  • Pay a flat rate per vehicle rental for up to 42 consecutive days of coverage
    (not a per day rate that rental car companies may charge)
  • You can choose from two coverage options to fit your budget
  • You only pay when renting with any of your enrolled Card Account(s)


NOTE: Coverage amounts will vary based on:

1) State of residence

2) Level of Coverage chosen.

3) Premium is added to EACH rental agreement on your Amex Bill. Excellent deal for rentals longer than 3 or 4 days, up to 42 days max, but may not be a great deal for a 1-2 day rental.

Keep in mind, most car rental agencies $10-18 per day for Collison Damage Waiver. So paying $12-25 for a full rental period of 7 or 14 days is an excellent value and fantastic on a monthly rental (30 days).

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?intlink=US:Amex:NewSiteSearch:RecomLink2

KEY FEATURES
Flat rate of $19.95 / $24.95 per rental period, not per day depending on your coverage selection ($15.95 / $17.95 for CA Residents; $12.25 / $15.25 for FL Residents).
Coverage is primary for theft and damage to a Rental Vehicle. If your rental vehicle is damaged, you can file that claim with us first as your primary provider.
Coverage provided is not subject to a policy deductible.
You pay only when you rent. Your enrolled Card Account(s) will automatically be charged when used to pay for a rental vehicle until your enrollment is terminated.

Views
70 Comments
Add Comment
Interesting. Primary coverage, no deductible, and 42 days max...

How does it compare to the coverage with Chase Sapphire?

This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

seawolf21 said:   This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

  

Discussed 6 1/2 years ago in Travel Discussion. yeah, that gets seen a lot I'm sure.  You probably spent 30 minutes just trying to find that on Google!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjmyaZGMcHE



MISTERCHEAP said:   
seawolf21 said:   This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

  

Discussed 6 1/2 years ago in Travel Discussion. yeah, that gets seen a lot I'm sure.  You probably spent 30 minutes just trying to find that on Google!

 

  
IMO, Hot deal is something that is a deal that is at least new and/or not generally available year-round (or in this case have been available for around a decade). This should be in travel discussion.

If hasn't been discussed in awhile is the criteria for a hot deal, then you might as well post AAA card gets me 10% at IHOP as a HOT deal because that hasn't been discussed around there for quite some time. Or that if you look at Sunday newspaper, chances are you find a stack of coupons from manufacturers that let you save on their products.
jolapo said:   How does it compare to the coverage with Chase Sapphire?
Generally speaking, unless you are renting luxury cars, Sapphire already provides primary coverage rendering AMEX Premium Protection obsolete. I would recommend calling Chase to ensure the vehicle is not on the excluded list. For example, certain Cadillacs are excluded by Chase.

seawolf21 said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   
seawolf21 said:   This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

  

Discussed 6 1/2 years ago in Travel Discussion. yeah, that gets seen a lot I'm sure.  You probably spent 30 minutes just trying to find that on Google!

 

  
IMO, Hot deal is something that is a deal that is at least new and/or not generally available year-round (or in this case have been available for more than decade). This should be in travel discussion.

If hasn't been discussed in awhile is the criteria for a hot deal, then you might as well post AAA card gets me 10% at IHOP as a HOT deal because that hasn't been discussed around there for quite some time. Or that if you look at Sunday newspaper, chances are you find a stack of coupons from manufacturers that let you save on their products.
jolapo said:   How does it compare to the coverage with Chase Sapphire?
Generally speaking, unless you are renting luxury cars, Sapphire already provides primary coverage rendering AMEX Premium Protection obsolete. I would recommend calling Chase to ensure the vehicle is not on the excluded list. For example, certain Cadillacs are excluded by Chase.

  

Sorry, disagree on many counts.

1) not everyone has the Chase Sapphire card, and I'd venture to say, far more FW'ers have an everyday Amex Blue card.

2) Just cause a deal has been around for a time, but doesn't get shared or talked about for 6+ years doesn't 'negate' the hot deal aspect. What you fail to mention is, the HUGE savings involved here. On a 7 day rental, where a car rental agency charges $14 PER DAY for Collision Damage Waiver, that is $98 for one week! versus $20 with this program, a $78 savings. That's hardly 10% at IHOP on a $25 bill ($2.50)

People come and go on FW all the time, just because a deal has been around awhile doesn't make it obsolete as far as hotness. this site is about saving people money, not thumbing our nose at a post cause you already know about when 50,000 other members do not.

Finally, it should not be in Travel Discussion. People rent cars for all kinds of reasons, not just when they take a trip. Some people rent a car locally if their's is in a Body Shop or under repair for an extended period (and they don't have a free loaner via insurance).   Hot Deals is the right forum, if you have a complaint, take it up with the Mods, not me. It's in the right forum.

FYI, I had this coverage on my previous Costco Amex and called to confirm that it would automatically switch over to my Blue Cash Everyday card earlier this year when Costco made the switch to Visa. I was told it would. I used my Amex for a summer trip to Hawaii and no issues were noted. The premium fee was never posted to my account the following month so I called to confirm status and was told that I had to enroll the new card and that it had NOT transferred over from the prior Costco card. I later received the policy paperwork as I had when I had the coverage with the Costco Amex so I'm good to go for this coming summer trip. A couple of key points, this is primary coverage for damage and theft but does NOT cover liability. If liability issues or medical coverage then it needs to go on your personal auto policy. This premium policy also covers loss of use by the rental company which most other car rental coverages tied to credit cards don't.

I have enrolled this on my card since last 4 years. In MA cost is 14.99$ per rental. For me it is worth even for 1 day because of customer service of amex.

My chase sapphire reserve has primary coverage without any extra charge, as long as I pay for rental using the card. It has a steep annual fee though ($450)

MISTERCHEAP said:   
seawolf21 said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   
seawolf21 said:   This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

  

Discussed 6 1/2 years ago in Travel Discussion. yeah, that gets seen a lot I'm sure.  You probably spent 30 minutes just trying to find that on Google!

 

  
IMO, Hot deal is something that is a deal that is at least new and/or not generally available year-round (or in this case have been available for more than decade). This should be in travel discussion.

If hasn't been discussed in awhile is the criteria for a hot deal, then you might as well post AAA card gets me 10% at IHOP as a HOT deal because that hasn't been discussed around there for quite some time. Or that if you look at Sunday newspaper, chances are you find a stack of coupons from manufacturers that let you save on their products.
jolapo said:   How does it compare to the coverage with Chase Sapphire?
Generally speaking, unless you are renting luxury cars, Sapphire already provides primary coverage rendering AMEX Premium Protection obsolete. I would recommend calling Chase to ensure the vehicle is not on the excluded list. For example, certain Cadillacs are excluded by Chase.

  

Sorry, disagree on many counts.

1) not everyone has the Chase Sapphire card, and I'd venture to say, far more FW'ers have an everyday Amex Blue card.

2) Just cause a deal has been around for a time, but doesn't get shared or talked about for 6+ years doesn't 'negate' the hot deal aspect. What you fail to mention is, the HUGE savings involved here. On a 7 day rental, where a car rental agency charges $14 PER DAY for Collision Damage Waiver, that is $98 for one week! versus $20 with this program, a $78 savings. That's hardly 10% at IHOP on a $25 bill ($2.50)

People come and go on FW all the time, just because a deal has been around awhile doesn't make it obsolete as far as hotness. this site is about saving people money, not thumbing our nose at a post cause you already know about when 50,000 other members do not.

Finally, it should not be in Travel Discussion. People rent cars for all kinds of reasons, not just when they take a trip. Some people rent a car locally if their's is in a Body Shop or under repair for an extended period (and they don't have a free loaner via insurance).   Hot Deals is the right forum, if you have a complaint, take it up with the Mods, not me. It's in the right forum.

  Then how long is ok to repost? If someone posts something a week after an original post it might help/save people money. Not saying either is right, just a question.
I wouldn't have know that this was posted 6 years ago, hell I sometimes forget about a deal a day ago if I don't act on it ASAP.

Always read Credit Card Policies. Many Credit cards have lots of exclusions not contained in normal policies. Some examples:

No coverage on dirt roads (75% of New Mexico roads are dirt, many national parks, Hawaii, Alaska etc...)
ANY alcohol in your system
Pickups
Vans
Expensive ($50K+ cars)
Certain countries.
fire elclusions
flood exclusions
vandalism exclusions
Voilation of law exclusion (parking, speeding etc...)
Violation of contract.
Unauthorized driver.
Unauthorized to drive outstde certain state.
Loss of use charges exclusions
Administrative charges exclusions
Dimunition of value charges exclusions

Doesn't your car insurance cover you for everything during the rental anyway?

Given the way Amex Assurance (American Express's insurance company) avoiding paying for my rental car damage even though I filled out everything correctly and provided all documentation they asked for from me, I'd avoid them like the plague. I wound up paying the $600+ in damages out of my own pocket, even though I supposedly had their "premium" car coverage - ha! Got tired of calling both Amex and Amex assurance and just getting the run-around and excuses. Lesson learned.

seawolf21 said:   This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

  Maybe so but I'd rather see a repeat rather than another DVD/Blu-ray deal. Seems like it was a bad Christmas season for deals compared to years past.

I've enrolled in this program. I just use the AmEx when I pick up the car, and then if no accident, swap cards when I drop the car off


I have to say I love this coverage..because while most credit cards only offer protection in the states.. AMEX gives you coverage outside the US. they will send you a letter that allows you to present to the rental agencies in mexico that try to force place insurance.. the best part about that is ... if they insist that they need to add on the coverage because of some local law .. amex will remove the extra charges no questons asked.. this is good if your using search sites like Kayak.. where you get rental cars for $1 a day.. most rental companies do this and then force you to put the insurance on the car ( this happened to me in Puerto Vallarta 3 times) all I do is call amex when I get home.. they see that I have the premier coverage and remove all but the $1 a day charge from the forced placed insurance. during a 16 day rental it took my charge from $376 to $16..plus the $14 charge from amex
I recommend this coverage for anyone renting cars outside the usa

bartjn said:   I have to say I love this coverage..because while most credit cards only offer protection in the states.. AMEX gives you coverage outside the US. they will send you a letter that allows you to present to the rental agencies in mexico that try to force place insurance.. the best part about that is ... if they insist that they need to add on the coverage because of some local law .. amex will remove the extra charges no questons asked.. this is good if your using search sites like Kayak.. where you get rental cars for $1 a day.. most rental companies do this and then force you to put the insurance on the car ( this happened to me in Puerto Vallarta 3 times) all I do is call amex when I get home.. they see that I have the premier coverage and remove all but the $1 a day charge from the forced placed insurance. during a 16 day rental it took my charge from $376 to $16..plus the $14 charge from amex
I recommend this coverage for anyone renting cars outside the usa
 

  
To the contrary, I've never seen a credit card rental car CDW /loss protection that only worked in the United States.  Regular coverage by Visa (and Mastercard, Discover, Amex non-premium) typically covers all countries except a few--usually Israel, Ireland, Italy, Australia, Jamaica, and New Zealand, or some subset. 

I used this coverage before and amex paid around 8000 w no hassle

lowspeed said:   Doesn't your car insurance cover you for everything during the rental anyway?
  Make a wild guess what happen after you make a claim to your own insurance!!! 
 

vsalizar said:   I've enrolled in this program. I just use the AmEx when I pick up the car, and then if no accident, swap cards when I drop the car off
  Slick Willy

I have used the AmEx program in the past. It is definitely a good value unless you have other coverage. I have had one claim, for a broken side mirror in a parking lot. It was paid without any hassle. The biggest problem was getting the car rental agency to give me a repair cost. It took them months. 

You do have to watch though, especially on the non "mainstream" dealers like Silvercar. I had a $10 charge from them after the fact for a fee and Amex dinged me for the $20 a second time as if I had done a second rental. They were quick to address it when I contested it. It's just not quite as "set and forget" as it sounds. I have never had to make a claim.

This coverage is now available on Costco'so new visa cards, but it works a little different. Does anyone remember the specifics?

MISTERCHEAP said:   
seawolf21 said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   
seawolf21 said:   This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

  

Discussed 6 1/2 years ago in Travel Discussion. yeah, that gets seen a lot I'm sure.  You probably spent 30 minutes just trying to find that on Google!

 

  
IMO, Hot deal is something that is a deal that is at least new and/or not generally available year-round (or in this case have been available for more than decade). This should be in travel discussion.

If hasn't been discussed in awhile is the criteria for a hot deal, then you might as well post AAA card gets me 10% at IHOP as a HOT deal because that hasn't been discussed around there for quite some time. Or that if you look at Sunday newspaper, chances are you find a stack of coupons from manufacturers that let you save on their products.
jolapo said:   How does it compare to the coverage with Chase Sapphire?
Generally speaking, unless you are renting luxury cars, Sapphire already provides primary coverage rendering AMEX Premium Protection obsolete. I would recommend calling Chase to ensure the vehicle is not on the excluded list. For example, certain Cadillacs are excluded by Chase.

  

Sorry, disagree on many counts.

1) not everyone has the Chase Sapphire card, and I'd venture to say, far more FW'ers have an everyday Amex Blue card.

2) Just cause a deal has been around for a time, but doesn't get shared or talked about for 6+ years doesn't 'negate' the hot deal aspect. What you fail to mention is, the HUGE savings involved here. On a 7 day rental, where a car rental agency charges $14 PER DAY for Collision Damage Waiver, that is $98 for one week! versus $20 with this program, a $78 savings. That's hardly 10% at IHOP on a $25 bill ($2.50)

People come and go on FW all the time, just because a deal has been around awhile doesn't make it obsolete as far as hotness. this site is about saving people money, not thumbing our nose at a post cause you already know about when 50,000 other members do not.

Finally, it should not be in Travel Discussion. People rent cars for all kinds of reasons, not just when they take a trip. Some people rent a car locally if their's is in a Body Shop or under repair for an extended period (and they don't have a free loaner via insurance).   Hot Deals is the right forum, if you have a complaint, take it up with the Mods, not me. It's in the right forum.

  
If people come and go is criteria, then I envision the following HOT DEALs posts/reposts:

Become member of AAA save $$$ on hotels and restaurants and roadside assistance
*HOT* Join warehouse club, buy in bulk, save a bundle *HOT*
Book airfare 3 weeks or more in advance - save hundreds over walk up fare
*Better than HOT* Call your car insurance - they might already be providing you rental car coverage
 Buy term life insurance - most people will save thousands over whole life insurance.
Call Geico - chances are they may save you on car insurance
Click thru ebates to save on purchases

2017 is around the corner.  Time to recycle that GoodRx thread.

I'm pretty sure some FW members are not aware of one or more of the above.  Everything listed including premium car rental is more of a public service announcement/FYI instead of a hot deal because the it's not on sale and/or not a new service offering/product.

seawolf21 said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   
 


2017 is around the corner.  Time to recycle that GoodRx thread.

I'm pretty sure some FW members are not aware of one or more of the above.  Everything listed including premium car rental is more of a public service announcement/FYI instead of a hot deal because the it's not on sale and/or not a new service offering/product.

  

what a waste of space, the green this thread is getting supports its value, you know about it? great, just move on and stop crapping up my thread. thanks.

russellt said:   Always read Credit Card Policies. Many Credit cards have lots of exclusions not contained in normal policies. Some examples:

No coverage on dirt roads (75% of New Mexico roads are dirt, many national parks, Hawaii, Alaska etc...)
ANY alcohol in your system
Pickups
Vans
Expensive ($50K+ cars)
Certain countries.
fire elclusions
flood exclusions
vandalism exclusions
Voilation of law exclusion (parking, speeding etc...)
Violation of contract.
Unauthorized driver.
Unauthorized to drive outstde certain state.
Loss of use charges exclusions
Administrative charges exclusions
Dimunition of value charges exclusions

  This DOES cover vans and trucks.  It doesn't cover moving trucks and moving vans.

russellt said:   Always read Credit Card Policies. Many Credit cards have lots of exclusions not contained in normal policies. Some examples:

No coverage on dirt roads (75% of New Mexico roads are dirt, many national parks, Hawaii, Alaska etc...)
ANY alcohol in your system
Pickups
Vans
Expensive ($50K+ cars)
Certain countries.
fire elclusions
flood exclusions
vandalism exclusions
Voilation of law exclusion (parking, speeding etc...)
Violation of contract.
Unauthorized driver.
Unauthorized to drive outstde certain state.
Loss of use charges exclusions
Administrative charges exclusions
Dimunition of value charges exclusions

  
​Many of the items on your list are not correct, for anyone who really wants to understand what this covers and what this doesn't, I would read this document: https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/cardservice/tiles/oth...

​I have had a Diners Club Professional card for years, I used to like it because you got two billing cycles to pay (eliminated when BMO took them over) and it has a pretty good rewards program (not as good as it used to be though), but I still keep it (with it's $95/year annual fee) because it provides primary rental car coverage, and since I rent cars 30+ times a year I find it a good value.  The AMEX Premium coverage is a little better than the Diners Club coverage (e.g., it doesn't exclude pickup trucks and it doesn't excluded unpaved roads), but not enough that I'd want to spend that much more when I always have my personal policy just in case Diners Club won't cover.

​(I agree this seems like a dubious "Hot Deal", but since it is a popular topic I thought I would provide some hopefully valuable information to the discussion).

This is a good reminder.  I had it on my old Amex for years.  It's not worth it for 1-2 day rentals IMHO.  But you can't beat it for 1-2 week rentals.  Also, it's available in a lot of foreign countries which is nice too.  

bartjn said:   I have to say I love this coverage..because while most credit cards only offer protection in the states.. AMEX gives you coverage outside the US. they will send you a letter that allows you to present to the rental agencies in mexico that try to force place insurance.. the best part about that is ... if they insist that they need to add on the coverage because of some local law .. amex will remove the extra charges no questons asked.. this is good if your using search sites like Kayak.. where you get rental cars for $1 a day.. most rental companies do this and then force you to put the insurance on the car ( this happened to me in Puerto Vallarta 3 times) all I do is call amex when I get home.. they see that I have the premier coverage and remove all but the $1 a day charge from the forced placed insurance. during a 16 day rental it took my charge from $376 to $16..plus the $14 charge from amex
I recommend this coverage for anyone renting cars outside the usa


When you wrote AMEX will remove charge, are you referring to AMEX refunding the premium paid on AMEX coverage or crediting you for CDW that car rental tacked on while charging you the $19.95/$24.95 AMEX premium?  Was this handled by AMEX credit card customer service or AMEX Premium Car Rental customer service?
cyfan said:   This is a good reminder.  I had it on my old Amex for years.  It's not worth it for 1-2 day rentals IMHO.  But you can't beat it for 1-2 week rentals.  Also, it's available in a lot of foreign countries which is nice too.  
  For most foreign countries, AMEX Premium Car Rental is unnecessary because general credit card rental car coverage is already primary.

AMEX Premium Car Rental has value for domestic rentals.  But if you rent domestically more than 3-4 times per year, you're may be coming out ahead with Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee) as it provides primary coverage on most vehicles.  Chase will also provide letter of coverage on request.

MISTERCHEAP said:   
seawolf21 said:   This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

  

Discussed 6 1/2 years ago in Travel Discussion. yeah, that gets seen a lot I'm sure.  You probably spent 30 minutes just trying to find that on Google!
 

  
This topic has been discussed many times more recently than 6.5 years ago.  I posted links to some of the threads (newer and older) above that cover the Amex "premium" rental protection, it has also been mentioned elsewhere in threads on this forum.  Why do you think it would take someone 30 minutes to find something on Google? 

vsalizar said:   I've enrolled in this program. I just use the AmEx when I pick up the car, and then if no accident, swap cards when I drop the car off
  

Smart.
So Amex doesn't charge you the insurance fee?  

dontcare4myname said:   
vsalizar said:   I've enrolled in this program. I just use the AmEx when I pick up the car, and then if no accident, swap cards when I drop the car off
  

Smart.
So Amex doesn't charge you the insurance fee?  

  Yes, it is possible to receive coverage from the benefit and not pay for it.  Similar category as pirating movies by downloading torrents.
NEDeals said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   
seawolf21 said:   This is regular offer. AMEX have been offering this for at least 10 years.  And even discussed on FW previously

Must be a slow deal day for MisterCheap. LOL

  

Discussed 6 1/2 years ago in Travel Discussion. yeah, that gets seen a lot I'm sure.  You probably spent 30 minutes just trying to find that on Google!

  
This topic has been discussed many times more recently than 6.5 years ago.  I posted links to some of the threads (newer and older) above that cover the Amex "premium" rental protection, it has also been mentioned elsewhere in threads on this forum.  Why do you think it would take someone 30 minutes to find something on Google? 

   As one of my AMEX cards have been enrolled for more close to ten years, I didn't have to Google at all to know how long AMEX have been offering this.

dontcare4myname said:   
vsalizar said:   I've enrolled in this program. I just use the AmEx when I pick up the car, and then if no accident, swap cards when I drop the car off
  

Smart.
So Amex doesn't charge you the insurance fee?  

  
Sounds like a YMMV.  I've been charged the premium fee when signing out the car, not returning.  Amex would see the authorization hold (and rental metadata) from a rental car category merchant and charge the fee. 

I've used this for the last few years.
It is a primary insurance. Supposedly if you use it your regular insurance won't go up.
I like it just for lack of worry. I don't even check my rental car for damage before I leave the lot sometimes.
I was always worried in the back of my mind that someone could hurt my $30K+ worth rental car when I leave it somewhere. Now, I don't care.
If you are a worrier this is a good deal. If you are not a worrier, just use the free insurance that comes with your credit card.

American Express automatically offers rental car protection at no charge if you pay with your AE card so how is this a hot deal?

vsalizar said:   I've enrolled in this program. I just use the AmEx when I pick up the car, and then if no accident, swap cards when I drop the car off
  
I have used this strategy myself on occasion with my coverage through a different credit card, but the word of warning is then you lose protection from claims made by the rental agency after the rental, which has been known to happen.  

tjdeak said:   American Express automatically offers rental car protection at no charge if you pay with your AE card so how is this a hot deal?
Coverage on most AMEX cards in secondary (i.e., pays what your insurance does not pay); Premium protection is primary.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017