posted 48 years ago by
NorCal2013
Ancient Member

REI has Marmot PreCip men's rain jackets on sale for $64.73.  This is 35% off the regular price of $100.00.  Item # 894605.  Comes in 2 colors.  Free shipping.

Product Details

• NanoPro fabric is 43% more breathable than the previous Precis technology, keeping you drier and more comfortable
  • Jacket is lightweight, durable and compressible; 100% taped seams help seal out the elements
  • Hood design with peripheral cord adjustment accommodates full visibility
  • DriClime® chin guard wicks away moisture and is soft against skin
  • Pit zips let you release excess heat build-up quickly and circulate fresh air when you're hiking hard
  • Angel-Wing Movement™ allows full range of arm motion and prevents jacket from riding up when arms are raised
  • Drawcord hem; hook-and-loop cuff adjustments
  • Closeout
  • Imported.
  • Intermediate markdowns may have been taken.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/894605/marmot-precip-rain...

Views
10 Comments
Add Comment
Thanks OP!
Really need to replace my old Columbia.

Nice find OP.

I bought this jacket about 6 years ago and it only lasted about 4 years of moderate (maybe 30x/year) wear before the waterproofing delaminated and it began leaking in the rain. Maybe once during that period I had a backpack on for an hour or two, otherwise it was regular usage without any abuse at all. Luckily I had bought it while REI was still giving lifetime warranties on their outerwear, which I was told was no longer the case for most brands including Marmot. The REI employee told me that for about $20 more than the $100 MSRP on this jacket, a similar Patagonia was a better built jacket and it does carry a lifetime warranty both at REI and directly with Patagonia; it also has pit zips, which my Marmot lacked (however this newer version apparently does have them), so the Patagonia was easily worth the extra $20 versus the Marmot. The Patagonia has a slimmer fit than the Marmot jacket and does seem to have a bit sturdier fabric and construction.

lousygolfer said:   I bought this jacket about 6 years ago and it only lasted about 4 years of moderate (maybe 30x/year) wear before the waterproofing delaminated and it began leaking in the rain. Maybe once during that period I had a backpack on for an hour or two, otherwise it was regular usage without any abuse at all. Luckily I had bought it while REI was still giving lifetime warranties on their outerwear, which I was told was no longer the case for most brands including Marmot. The REI employee told me that for about $20 more than the $100 MSRP on this jacket, a similar Patagonia was a better built jacket and it does carry a lifetime warranty both at REI and directly with Patagonia; it also has pit zips, which my Marmot lacked (however this newer version apparently does have them), so the Patagonia was easily worth the extra $20 versus the Marmot. The Patagonia has a slimmer fit than the Marmot jacket and does seem to have a bit sturdier fabric and construction.

I think you are confusing jackets.  The Pre-cip has always HAD pit zips, I have one from about 8 years ago.  The Boundary does NOT.  The new ones do as well as I purchased one for my son last year.

lousygolfer said:   I bought this jacket about 6 years ago and it only lasted about 4 years of moderate (maybe 30x/year) wear before the waterproofing delaminated and it began leaking in the rain. Maybe once during that period I had a backpack on for an hour or two, otherwise it was regular usage without any abuse at all. Luckily I had bought it while REI was still giving lifetime warranties on their outerwear, which I was told was no longer the case for most brands including Marmot. The REI employee told me that for about $20 more than the $100 MSRP on this jacket, a similar Patagonia was a better built jacket and it does carry a lifetime warranty both at REI and directly with Patagonia; it also has pit zips, which my Marmot lacked (however this newer version apparently does have them), so the Patagonia was easily worth the extra $20 versus the Marmot. The Patagonia has a slimmer fit than the Marmot jacket and does seem to have a bit sturdier fabric and construction.
  Virtually same timeline and conditions for how the product delaminated for me too.  It was a very disappointing experience for the product as it had awesome reviews as a very popular product.  I also love almost all the marmot gear i own. I bought my precip rain jacket in 2009.  
Do you mean that REI honored a lifetime warranty and let you return the product or get a replacement?  

Marmot does not cover normal wear and tear and this includes loss of water proofing as quoted from their website:

"What is considered normal wear and tear?
We know you love your Marmot apparel and equipment, but regardless of how carefully you use and care for your gear it may eventually begin to experience natural break down of materials and show wear. Fabric wearing thin, showing abrasions, stains, discoloration, rips or tears, loss of DWR (Durable Water Resistance) and laminates losing their ability to keep out moisture can be considered wear and tear."

Are you refering to this one:  

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-torrentshell-rain-jacket/8...

There is a lot of complaining about the zippers.   A working zipper is very important to me...I use the zipper more than I use the water repellent.

drew2money said:   

I think you are confusing jackets.  The Pre-cip has always HAD pit zips, I have one from about 8 years ago.  The Boundary does NOT.  The new ones do as well as I purchased one for my son last year.

Nope, you are incorrect or maybe correct about Marmot jackets in model years before and after the PreCip that I purchased, but perhaps Marmot cut corners for the year I bought my jacket.  I distinctly remember that the Marmot lightweight rain jacket I bought at REI for a standard price for $100 was called the PreCip and it most certainly did not have pit zips - I wanted them several times when I wore it during muggy summer rainy days and the REI sales guy made a point of mentioning that the Patagonia had those extra zippers and the Marmot did not.  The Boundary has a mesh liner and my jacket did not.

​I believe the Patagonia Torrentshell in your link is the jacket that I have that replaced the Marmot PreCip. I would characterize the zipper as somewhat more difficult than average to start, but I cannot recall it ever getting stuck or catching on the lining, and I have another no-name-brand shell that does frequently catch its zipper on an inner liner, which can be quite frustrating.  I always thought that Patagonia products were overpriced and not necessarily superior to those of other similar brands, but the combination of the pit zips, the lifetime warranty, the seemingly better construction and the recommendation of the REI sales guy convinced me to spend the extra $20 or $30 on the Patagonia and I am glad I did.  There is a great deal of brand snobbery in this area of action outdoor outerwear, with accompanying inflated prices to go with it, and I've always thought that most of the people I see walking around in this gear must be either spoiled college kids who have mommy's or daddy's credit card and don't need to account for what they buy or else someone who worked at REI and got the stuff at cost for an employee discount.   I'd never pay the premium a brand like Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, North Face, Marmot, or Arc'Teryx (dumbest pseudo-cool name ever), etc... would cost for something like a Polar fleece jacket or pullover, since an Eddie Bauer item would be 100% as well made, if not better made and cost half or a third of the price at one of their frequent sale prices; I have a 22 year-old Eddie Bauer Polar fleece pullover that is currently functioning the same as the day I bought it.  I also don't see spending $500 on a shell jacket either, but at around the $100-$130 price point, I think my Patagonia rain shell is a decent value.    

A rain jacket loosing its waterproofing in less than 5 years, as my Marmot did, is a poor excuse for a product - I'd expect a $50 jacket to work effectively for at least that long.  I had a Lowe-Alpine rain shell (heavier duty outer material, though, with a mesh liner) that had their proprietary waterproof membrane that was fully waterproof and much more breathable than Gore-Tex.  That shell lasted me about 14 years before its waterproofing finally delaminated and I wore that jacket much more frequently than my Marmot, since it would provide some protection against the cold down to about 45 degrees and could be layered with mid-layers down to at least the 20's.  I loved that jacket and Lowe Alpine replaced it over a dozen years after I bought it, but they had nothing similar in their lineup at the time and the only vaguely comparable jacket they had in my size as a replacement had fluorescent yellow accents I did not like, so I eBayed it.  Unfortunately, Lowe Alpine stopped making outerwear some years ago.

What I was told at REI was that while they previously had a Costco-like unlimited return policy on outerwear, that they had ended that guaranty and only certain brands like Patagonia (and I think maybe REI -branded clothes) continued to have the lifetime guarantee.  Because I purchased my Marmot jacket before that policy went into effect, they honored the return and gave me a full $100 credit on it.

West Marine Outlet has the PreCip in 5 colors for $70.88 +FS
PreCip @ WestMarineOutlet 

Marmot has the PreCip in 2 (Rain Forest & Bright Lichen) colors for $39.96 + $8 Shipping (FS on orders >$75)
PreCip @ Marmot 

BigIsland

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017