33 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Please add World to the title vs DisneyLand

rated:
ugh, such ridiculous prices for a year pass.... whoa

rated:
camar0 said:   ugh, such ridiculous prices for a year pass.... whoa
  I am sure I can find something that you like that I would think is way overpriced. The fact is, for the amount of entertainment that you get for a day at Disneyworld, this is a bargain.

rated:
WOW!! $750 for a pass. I have a Universal Studios Orland pass and they have a lot more options to make it affordable. Disney just has 2 passes - Universal offers passes at different levels some have blackout dates for peak times (times I would never dream of going due to heat or park crowds).. I guess this is a good deal if you go there a lot.. but compared to Universal I can get 2 annual passes there and still have $ left over for a hotel stay.

I just never knew that they were this much money.

rated:
I just got back from here last night. The cost for a year is about what an 8 days pass costs. Plus you have benefits including not being locked out if the parks hit capacity (some did this past week).   In addition, parking, included with the pass, starts at $20/day.

So it is a lot of money, but a deal nonetheless.

rated:
CPAESQ said:   WOW!! $750 for a pass. I have a Universal Studios Orland pass and they have a lot more options to make it affordable. Disney just has 2 passes - Universal offers passes at different levels some have blackout dates for peak times (times I would never dream of going due to heat or park crowds).. I guess this is a good deal if you go there a lot.. but compared to Universal I can get 2 annual passes there and still have $ left over for a hotel stay.

Hey, compared to my local YMCA they have a lot more options to make it affordable too. You can't compare Disneyworld to Universal Studios.

Here is a comparison of theme park attendance for 2015 (the latest figures available):

Magic Kingdom:  20.4 million

Epcot:   11.7 million  

Animal Kingdom:  10.9 million

Hollywood Studios:  10.8 million

Universal Florida:  9.6 million

Notice even the worst Disney Park has over a million more visitors that Universal.

rated:
And I think Universal's policy of selling tickets that allow you to "cut the line" is really disgraceful. Maybe the local high schools should start that too: Pay an annual fee and your kids can cut the lunch line, or they get their test graded quicker by the teacher.

rated:
jpessin3 said:   And I think Universal's policy of selling tickets that allow you to "cut the line" is really disgraceful. Maybe the local high schools should start that too: Pay an annual fee and your kids can cut the lunch line, or they get their test graded quicker by the teacher.
  Honestly im conflicted by it  ... i understand the $$ of it ... but somebody who flies in for a once in a lifetime trip. Id like to make that special for 'em too. If they cant get on everyride they want ... it does diminish the trip some.
PS they all do it  ...
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fastpass-plus/

rated:
Disney doesn't charge extra. That's the difference. Plus it's managed to only 3 per person until you've completed the 3. Then you have to go an in park kiosk and see if there are any more slots available. With universal you just go all day. I *think* they might limit the amount of passes they sell per day but I still think Disney does it better

rated:
jpessin3 said:   
CPAESQ said:   WOW!! $750 for a pass. I have a Universal Studios Orland pass and they have a lot more options to make it affordable. Disney just has 2 passes - Universal offers passes at different levels some have blackout dates for peak times (times I would never dream of going due to heat or park crowds).. I guess this is a good deal if you go there a lot.. but compared to Universal I can get 2 annual passes there and still have $ left over for a hotel stay.

Hey, compared to my local YMCA they have a lot more options to make it affordable too. You can't compare Disneyworld to Universal Studios.

Here is a comparison of theme park attendance for 2015 (the latest figures available):

Magic Kingdom:  20.4 million

Epcot:   11.7 million  

Animal Kingdom:  10.9 million

Hollywood Studios:  10.8 million

Universal Florida:  9.6 million

Notice even the worst Disney Park has over a million more visitors that Universal.

dont get your panties in a wad....  just because you think Disney is better doesnt mean the same for another....   

rated:
camar0 said:   ugh, such ridiculous prices for a year pass.... whoa

It's a great price for 13 months of magical Disney MagicŪ in the Happiest Place On Earth!

eta: This was sarcasm, I guess Disney truly rots the brain. I can't remember the TV series but:

Q. Why do you like Disney so much?
A. I think it's because I'm very stupid

edit to further add: it was Come Fly With Me

rated:
It's ironically affordable if you don't have kids.

rated:
For that kind of money I'd rather buy a ski pass!

rated:
and it shows when its so busy your lucky to do 4 attractions in one day because of all those people

rated:
Not that it means much but I just bought 2 adult annual passes for Busch Gardens Tampa for $295 inc. taxes and fees. This includes one pass that takes care of parking other upgrades.

rated:
This is great if you are able to plan a 7 day trip 2X, say like Spring Break each year, you're already saving money on admission. Annual pass gets free parking and park hopper, adding to value. Plus if can squeeze an extra vacation at Christmas or other time, tickets are paid, only need housing and food. We have unloaded a crap load of money at Disney over the years, but many good memories for our family and a known good for our disabled son who wouldn't be able to do Universal or the like.

rated:
Where did you find the information about activate by 2030?

rated:
http://allears.net/tix/tixincrease.htm
100$ In 1982... $749 now.

Not as fast-rising as the DJIA (1k to 19k), but higher than inflation.

rated:
If you have a Target card you can save an additional 5% by getting Disney gift cards. Just make sure they are the ones you can use at the parks. All you have to do is call the 1800 number and tell them you want to pay with gift cards.

Online only allows one gift card.

rated:
This was a good deal for me.  I bought this pass end of November.  My family and I usually go once per year end November / early December.  I never purchased a pass because by the time I return it would have expired.  With 13 months, I'll only use it for 2 trips on the year (7 days in the parks each trip), but it includes parking and photo pass downloads, which saves over $500 (assuming I bought the photopass for each trip).

rated:
Better price than Disneyland Annual Pass... Top level (Disney Signature Plus Passport) pass at Disneyland is $1049. ;(

rated:
Fergus said:   This is great if you are able to plan a 7 day trip 2X, say like Spring Break each year, you're already saving money on admission. Annual pass gets free parking and park hopper, adding to value. Plus if can squeeze an extra vacation at Christmas or other time, tickets are paid, only need housing and food. We have unloaded a crap load of money at Disney over the years, but many good memories for our family and a known good for our disabled son who wouldn't be able to do Universal or the like.
Last time I went, each concurrent day is cheaper.  7 days is $370.  10 days is $400.  If you want to go to multiple parks per day then $469. 

rated:
So, it's not automatically activated? Is it upon the first use?

rated:
Correct. Activated after first use. 

rated:
hfzeus said:   I just got back from here last night. The cost for a year is about what an 8 days pass costs. Plus you have benefits including not being locked out if the parks hit capacity (some did this past week).   In addition, parking, included with the pass, starts at $20/day.

How does that work?  If it's at capacity then it's at capacity, right?  Do they go find some non season pass holder and kick him out to make room?

rated:
fishbane said:   
hfzeus said:   I just got back from here last night. The cost for a year is about what an 8 days pass costs. Plus you have benefits including not being locked out if the parks hit capacity (some did this past week).   In addition, parking, included with the pass, starts at $20/day.

How does that work?  If it's at capacity then it's at capacity, right?  Do they go find some non season pass holder and kick him out to make room?

There are several levels of 'capacity closings'. It doesn't mean that the park is AT capacity, it just means that it may happen very soon. First level everyone can get in except those without existing tickets (ie, you cannot purchase a ticket and go right in). Next level is only those with dining reservations and AP holders, then only AP holders, etc.

This is a pretty good deal. It's a lot of money, but worth it if you go a lot. We've had passes for several years now - both Disney and Universal, but we're taking at least a year off due to the construction. We used to go about once a month for a couple of days. Definitely worth it.

rated:
missnic said:   
fishbane said:   

There are several levels of 'capacity closings'. It doesn't mean that the park is AT capacity, it just means that it may happen very soon. First level everyone can get in except those without existing tickets (ie, you cannot purchase a ticket and go right in). Next level is only those with dining reservations and AP holders, then only AP holders, etc.

This is a pretty good deal. It's a lot of money, but worth it if you go a lot. We've had passes for several years now - both Disney and Universal, but we're taking at least a year off due to the construction. We used to go about once a month for a couple of days. Definitely worth it.

Let's be honest, if it's near capacity it's really not worth even setting a foot there. I've made a mistake once going the day after Christmas. Never again.

rated:
haha, still cheaper than my son's annual violin lessons....

rated:
Genius069 said:   If you have a Target card you can save an additional 5% by getting Disney gift cards. Just make sure they are the ones you can use at the parks. All you have to do is call the 1800 number and tell them you want to pay with gift cards.

Online only allows one gift card.

can't you also buy Disney gift cards at sams club? I think they might have a slightly higher discount percent - PLUS use some sort of cash back card to save even more!

rated:
FatWalletLurker said:   http://allears.net/tix/tixincrease.htm 

Given the reference to the activation date (by 2030) in the title, I thought this thread would be more focused on this point.

Can these be held onto and then somehow be sold/transferred?  This might be a solid investment if so.  The annual pass pricing will only go up in value, and that's stacked with whatever immediate credit card rewards you'd reap..

rated:
BJs sells Disney GC's for 4%-5% off (depends on denomination) and you don't need to be a member. Stack that with the current quarter Discover 5% back at wholesale clubs and you are netting a good percentage off these.

Disney does sell 3 types of AP's, but not to everyone. If you really want to know about the types this link will help you out.

rated:
Lugs said:   

Given the reference to the activation date (by 2030) in the title, I thought this thread would be more focused on this point.

Can these be held onto and then somehow be sold/transferred?  This might be a solid investment if so.  The annual pass pricing will only go up in value, and that's stacked with whatever immediate credit card rewards you'd reap..

I don't believe that's actually accurate; but it's both good and bad (and bad).

Bad: This special "13-month for the price of 12" deal requires that the pass be activated much sooner.  Disney is light on the details, but the consensus seems to be the end of Sept. 2017.

Good: Almost all Disney tickets are valid indefinitely; they only expire a short while (typically 14 days) after they're first used.  The 2030 date is an arbitrary date that Disney has programmed in to their website due to technical limitations, but it's not actually the expiration.  These will be valid beyond 2030.

Bad: The rate that these have increased is about 3 times the rate of inflation.  But that's only about 6% per year compounded interest.  I don't know that I'd want to tie up too much money in Disney tickets for a risky 6%.

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   
Lugs said:   

I don't believe that's actually accurate; but it's both good and bad (and bad).

Bad: This special "13-month for the price of 12" deal requires that the pass be activated much sooner.  Disney is light on the details, but the consensus seems to be the end of Sept. 2017.

Good: Almost all Disney tickets are valid indefinitely; they only expire a short while (typically 14 days) after they're first used.  The 2030 date is an arbitrary date that Disney has programmed in to their website due to technical limitations, but it's not actually the expiration.  These will be valid beyond 2030.

Bad: The rate that these have increased is about 3 times the rate of inflation.  But that's only about 6% per year compounded interest.  I don't know that I'd want to tie up too much money in Disney tickets for a risky 6%.

All good/valid points.  And I'm more bringing it up for discussion/entertainment rather than actually executing, but who knows.  I think the main risk would be changes in terms of service.  Don't forget to factor in the CC rewards!  I get 2% back with mine.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017