posted 2 months ago by
ShoppingChick

Best Buy has the 3DR Solo Drone w/ Gimbal, Rechargeable Battery & Extra Propellers on sale for $299.99 (was $657) with free shipping. 
 Includes:

• 3D Robotics Solo Drone rated 4.3/5 stars from 431 customer reviews
  • 3D Robotics Gimbal for Solo Drones rated 4.5/5 stars from 228 customer reviews
  • 3D Robotics Battery for Solo Drones rated 4.7/5 stars from 256 customer reviews
  • 3D Robotics Propellers for Solo Drones rated 4.7/5 stars from 229 customer reviews

Amazon has this drone only priced for $299 while Google Shopping has the next lowest price for $325. 

6 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
I have one of these. It is a great drone at a great price. You will need a GoPro 3, 3+ or 4. The 3 will have to be put into record mode, the 3+ and 4 are able to be controlled by the gimbal. 3dr will not be making this drone anymore. They are moving out of the commercial drone business.

rated:
I just did some research on this. It appears this is essentially a closeout, 3DR is getting out of the hardware business and has laid off many of their employees including most of the people who actually designed the drone. The reason for this is that the drone has serious reliability issues. Some people have them and have no issues, but a lot of people have complained about all sorts of problems, including faulty GPS, faulty accelerometers, etc which can lead to the drone being hard or impossible to control. If you buy one, understand that you are buying an orphaned product that may have poor support going forward and that has a long history of nasty problems. You could end up buying this, using it a few times, and then find it is no longer functional and you cannot get it repaired.

rated:
Great price, I think it is worth taking a chance on, especially if you have a gopro already. The flight controller, motors and esc's alone prob cost more.

rated:
I read that you mention the 3 and 4, is the GoPro+ compatible?

rated:
starch, I think it breaks down to if you have a trouble free one its a great deal, if not, it could easily be $300 down the toilet if you don't discover it during the return period. Unfortunately, I can't find any information on how many of them were problematic, but it was clearly enough that the company decided they no longer could sustain their business model and that they'd rather sell at a loss and pull out fast. That's pretty scary.

rated:
Forbes did an article on the fall of 3DR. Has most of the details on why they had to exit the drone manufacturing business.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2016/10/05/3d-robotics-solo-crash-chris-anderson/#124da48a4840

Doesn't sound like faulty hardware as much as bad forecasting and capital management, along with DJI just dominating that market. Still a risk though.

I'm reminded of the vigorous fatwallet discussions when HD-DVD players or the HP TouchPad was being sold at a loss. The pros and cons of buying orphaned technology at a discount...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017