posted 48 years ago by
ragingwookiee
Senior Member - 7K

Posted with ToGo

WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive, Black
$69.99
http://www.staples.com/WD-My-Passport-2TB-Portable-Hard-Drive-Black/product_2423225

Price drops in cart

Views
5 Comments
Add Comment
Still can't get over the way hard drive sizes - which seemed to follow Moore's Law and keep growing every year for the same price - have really leveled off and so have the prices!

I bought my last WD 2TB drive (USB 3.0) at Staples in October 2013. The list price was $111.49, but after coupons and rewards discounts, I got it for $55.49! You'd think by now we could get 8TB drives for about the same price, but no...

ahallfatwallett said:   Still can't get over the way hard drive sizes - which seemed to follow Moore's Law and keep growing every year for the same price - have really leveled off and so have the prices!

I bought my last WD 2TB drive (USB 3.0) at Staples in October 2013. The list price was $111.49, but after coupons and rewards discounts, I got it for $55.49! You'd think by now we could get 8TB drives for about the same price, but no...

I wouldn't to go as far as level out, the drive has dropped $40. It may not be following Moore's Law (as laws are meant to be broken), but the price has dropped ~40%. I could have picked up a 4tb Seagate Portable for $120 during the holidays, so the capacity is getting greater, but I think you care getting close to a maximum data density before needing a new advancement in hard drive storage techniques. You will be have bigger leaps on a 3.5" HD, only because it has so much more area for data storage in that extra 1" of diameter 

Well, it hasn't fallen $40 - the list price when I bought mine was $111.49, and the list price before the sale now is $89.99.

It's surely true that the manufacturers have improved their technology in the last few years to make their drive cheaper. I suspect their profit margins are higher now and that they are keeping prices higher. Otherwise, a 2TB drive should be about $30 or $40 now.

This deal is still at $69.90

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017