posted 48 years ago by
Neilium
All Is Well

Both phones on sale for $30.00 through Sprint

LG Volt $150.00 Off

Views
68 Comments
Add Comment
Great deal! Perfect low cost phone to leave unconnected for kids to use as a wifi device. Or keep it in the car for a cheap GPS unit to not drain your phone. My friend drives lyft and uses waze on one phone and the lyft app on the other.

ooops

Can these phones be used on their prepaid plans or can I use them on their regular plans? In the sense, can I use this phone as a 3rd line on the $100 freedom plan?

Both of these phones are Sprint Pre-Paid service only 

Good finds. thank you.

How easy are these to use without service?  I know I tried this with a Boost phone a while back and it was constantly putting up the nag screen to activate service.

Will either of these work with FreedomPop?

It was those VM VOLT price mistake years ago that got me started on R+. 3 at $20 each for flipping on CL until R+ came along. Still an excellent phone over a year later. Can't really think of a weak spot. The Tribute HD reminds me of it but can't quite measure up in quality. 

Monkeybiz said:   It was those VM VOLT price mistake years ago that got me started on R+. The Tribute HD reminds me of it but can't quite measure up in quality. 
  Oh man. Great find/price. If I didn't already have 2 each Moto E from C7 Recycle and LG Tribute HD from BB as R+ spares already I'd jump on these. I still have the original LG Volt I gave my kid a year ago with cracked screen. He was so sad, and even sadder when I couldn't buy the same model and replaced it with a ZTE Speed.

I wonder since these phones are ancient if they would pass the Sprint FED for use on R+. BTW, the Moto E is the Moto E II not the Mote E I since it's LTE.

So neither of them take a SIM, and cannot be unlocked for international use?

And neither of them can be used on R+ either on a new account, or as a replacement for a lost/broken phone?

ocean935 said:   So neither of them take a SIM, and cannot be unlocked for international use?

And neither of them can be used on R+ either on a new account, or as a replacement for a lost/broken phone?

Both are LTE phones, therefore they come with SIMS. Sprint SIMS. 

Will these work with Boost/

mathfaster said:   
ocean935 said:   So neither of them take a SIM, and cannot be unlocked for international use?

Both are LTE phones, therefore they come with SIMS. Sprint SIMS. 

So no way to unlock either?

Volt is a much better phone than the Moto E. I suspect they WILL pass the FED for R+ as these were manufactured years ago. (They must have found these under some boxes in the warehouse.)

RobL said:   

Volt is a much better phone than the Moto E. I suspect they WILL pass the FED for R+ as these were manufactured years ago. (They must have found these under some boxes in the warehouse.)

I use both and fully agree. The Moto is sturdier than the Volt, but that's about it.

Still don't know about unlocks though.

RobL said:   
I suspect they WILL pass the FED for R+ as these were manufactured years ago. (They must have found these under some boxes in the warehouse.)

I wouldn't make that assumption unless you have experience with activating these new phones after FED began to be enforced. I've read otherwise. If these were Certified Pre-Owned phones, then I'd take the risk on purchasing if I wanted to activate on R+.

Thanks, been waiting to get my hands on a couple more Moto Es.

Unlocked bootloader + great ROM support, makes for great wifi only internet device. I have several that have been running unattended for months at my parents house as cameras.

kassaal said:   
RobL said:   
I suspect they WILL pass the FED for R+ as these were manufactured years ago. (They must have found these under some boxes in the warehouse.)

I wouldn't make that assumption unless you have experience with activating these new phones after FED began to be enforced. I've read otherwise. If these were Certified Pre-Owned phones, then I'd take the risk on purchasing if I wanted to activate on R+.

I'm also curious about use on R+ (as long as they stay in business). I do know that their prepaid phones can't be used on SPT postpaid plans for some reason (via a long wait hold phone call).

I was going to do as I learned from FW members here and run the IMEI through several BYOD checkers then device swap to a R+ account. After R+ accepts it, device swap it back out and retire it to my R+ time capsule for when the kids break their phones AGAIN.

And if anything fails I can just return them unopened to SPT for a refund, right? Wrong. The restocking fee is $36 on a $30 phone, thereby giving me another Wi-Fi tablet that I don't need, or as I just read here use them as a camera? Interesting, need to check that out.

Yes you could activate without opening box but restock fee would kill the deal. I have a hunch it's not how old it is but time of activation. Not necessarily a year of service but a year after activation. Case in point, my mint CPO Boost activated easily on R+ and they didn't appear used at all. 

But after restock fee I'd just get the Tribute HD for free and easy returns at BB for $49 instead. R+ Swaps are still free so I swapped in  and out several HD for back up phones. 

Monkeybiz said:   But after restock fee I'd just get the Tribute HD for free and easy returns at BB for $49 instead. R+ Swaps are still free so I swapped in  and out several HD for back up phones. 
Um, still have 2 Tribute HD phones NIB from the last BB deal.
(Note to self) Must Stop Buying Phones Just Because They're Cheap!
But such beautiful phones for $30. Decisions...

UKtour said:   
Monkeybiz said:   But after restock fee I'd just get the Tribute HD for free and easy returns at BB for $49 instead. R+ Swaps are still free so I swapped in  and out several HD for back up phones. 

eBay them, some models bring a good price

I'm not seen the Moto E any longer, Volt is much better anyway. 

Monkeybiz said:   I'm not seen the Moto E any longer, Volt is much better anyway. 
  I edited my OP to reflect that.

kami333 said:   Thanks, been waiting to get my hands on a couple more Moto Es.

Unlocked bootloader + great ROM support, makes for great wifi only internet device. I have several that have been running unattended for months at my parents house as cameras.

What software are you running to use them as cameras?

The only thing that turned me off on the Moto E was the non-removable battery.

kimgkimg said:   
kami333 said:    I have several that have been running unattended for months at my parents house as cameras.

Also interested in this. Maybe some of my phones with cracked screens could become monitor/spy cams. With my Zmoto cams if the rats gnaw into the attic, they also gnaw through the cables. Downside still need power for the camera.

kimgkimg said:   

IP webcam. Does motion detection and audio detection, can save files or text/email notices if you want. I also have some that I've setup to take a photo of our backyards every morning using Tasker, then uploads them to Facebook with DriveSync and GDrive Automator, it's a nice way for my family to keep in touch since we live in different time zones, at the very least we get to see what the others are seeing at breakfast. All of them are set up to turn on automatically whenever power is connected, reboots once a week (in case something hung or something) and can be controlled remotely via Teamviewer if there's any changes to be made.

UKtour said:   
kimgkimg said:   
kami333 said:    I have several that have been running unattended for months at my parents house as cameras.

Also interested in this. Maybe some of my phones with cracked screens could become monitor/spy cams. With my Zmoto cams if the rats gnaw into the attic, they also gnaw through the cables. Downside still need power for the camera.

Use metal braided sleeving. For a cheap option, home depot/etc have those metal braided hoses for appliances. (Had a friend who used to have pet rats that were "litter box" trained so they were allowed to be free in certain rooms, however all his wiring had to be either 3 feet off the ground or encased in metal)

Yes, keep it in the car for a cheap GPS is a good idea! Thanks.

Neilium said:   
Monkeybiz said:   I'm not seen the Moto E any longer, Volt is much better anyway. 
  I edited my OP to reflect that.

For the sake of posterity (price/deal history documentation, preventing reposts, etc.), I think it's wiser to update the OP to state that a linked item is now out of stock rather than to delete any and all mention of the OOS item from the OP and title. 

can this MOTO E be used with Republic Wireless ?  Anyone know ? 

gocint said:   can this MOTO E be used with Republic Wireless ?  Anyone know ? 
I would say no.  Last April $print decided to enforce the rule that a prepaid phone must be active for 12 months on the carrier the device was intended for before they will whitelist it for other MNVOs.  The LG Tribute HD has been the exception to that rule.  Who knows what the future will hold for these devices and becoming whitelisted some day without the FED.  For a $30 mini tablet/media player/security camera, etc you can't go wrong....I used my Moto E to stream DirecTV now.

kami333 said:     IP webcam. Does motion detection and audio detection, can save files or text/email notices if you want. I also have some that I've setup to take a photo of our backyards every morning using Tasker, then uploads them to Facebook with DriveSync and GDrive Automator, it's a nice way for my family to keep in touch since we live in different time zones, at the very least we get to see what the others are seeing at breakfast. All of them are set up to turn on automatically whenever power is connected, reboots once a week (in case something hung or something) and can be controlled remotely via Teamviewer if there's any changes to be made.
  Thanks for that good reference list of apps and software. Gives me another interesting techy project after I take care of the attic rats (they also chewed the ends off 3 Cat5 cables).
FW is always a good source of info.

UKtour said:   

Likewise, I also have have Tribute HD phones NIB from the last BB deal because the Tribute II was supposed to be the backup for my Volt from previous BF.
Looks like my Tribute HD phones are never going to be opened especially with R+ going down although I got them FED Proofed by swapping in/out.

Wasn't it a perfect run for us?
Cheap phone+Free phone service+Boys playing with their toys= Priceless !

Monkeybiz said:   But after restock fee I'd just get the Tribute HD for free and easy returns at BB for $49 instead. 
This doesn't make any sense?
You got Tribute HD for free after restock fee at BB instead of $49?

kimgkimg said:   

The non-removeable battery doesn't seem to bother the high dollar Samsung and Iphone users too much.

marcopolomle said:   
Monkeybiz said:   But after restock fee I'd just get the Tribute HD for free and easy returns at BB for $49 instead. 
This doesn't make any sense?
You got Tribute HD for free after restock fee at BB instead of $49?

I think it's that if you go to BB and buy the Tribute HD for $49, you can enjoy the free and easy return process at BB if you need.  No restocking fee or anything.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017