posted 2 months ago by
acrosandyshort

Newegg has the BYTECC Black 1.44MB Internal Floppy Drive Model BT-145 on sale for $8.49.

• 1.44MB
  • 5.70" x 4.00" x 1.00"

26 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Mar. 25, 2017 @ 7:23pm
rated:
whoa! Old School!

rated:
forbin4040 said:   whoa! Old School!

Nah, that's new stuff.  Old school is when we had to assemble programs by hand on punched IBM cards, stored on donut core memory, and archived on 1/2" magnetic tape.  We milked the cow first thing every morning if we wanted breakfast, then had to walk to school barefoot in the snow and it was uphill both ways.

rated:
This is a good deal on the drive, but bear in mind you still have to pay $30 ($3 per disk) for the actual floppy disks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ5671872&c...

rated:
Scumbag said:   

Nah, that's new stuff.  Old school is when we had to assemble programs by hand on punched IBM cards, stored on donut core memory, and archived on 1/2" magnetic tape.  We milked the cow first thing every morning if we wanted breakfast, then had to walk to school barefoot in the snow and it was uphill both ways.

You youngins had it easy. We had to grind rocks into dirt so we would have something to eat, and our display resolution was dictated by which cave wall we were working on.

rated:
Hejj said:   This is a good deal on the drive, but bear in mind you still have to pay $30 ($3 per disk) for the actual floppy disks.

haha not everyone has to obtain disks to use a floppy drive!  (but that's a different problem)  

rated:
Hejj said:   This is a good deal on the drive, but bear in mind you still have to pay $30 ($3 per disk) for the actual floppy disks.

...and a motherboard you can still connect this to

rated:
Is this DD DS (double density double sided)?

rated:
70 more of these, along with 7 10-port USB hubs, and I will have finally completed my home-brewed Zip drive - no click of death to worry about, just very stationary.

rated:
that won't fit in my laptop. here's a USB Floppy Drive you could use without worrying about motherboard connections.

rated:
Sweet! These will never go out of style! In for 100!!

On a more serious note, there's just no call for this.  If you really need a floppy drive, just get a USB one for around the same price.

Heh... almost as much as when they were still new-ish in the mid-80s.  Seem to remember desperately needing HD disks as a teenager when they were around $45 + tax for 10 pack.  Store used their own price labels... so I ended up peeling the labels off some non-HD packs at 1/3 the price and I was set.
(Sure it's wrong, but oddly enough this one doesn't really bother me.  I mean seriously, I still feel a little guilty about some $2(?) magnets I shoplifted when I was like 9, but not this.  I guess it's some combination of paying something for them and the cashier not bothering to check that the regular density disks on the label were what was really in the box all adds up to me being mostly free of guilt for that one.  Ah well, just thinking about it so thought I'd share.)

rated:
I still have an unopened tray of 50 Computer City 3.5" floppies (probably free after MIR). Also half a dozen 10-packs of Dysan and Maxell 5.25" HD floppies. Oh, and a few packs of 2120 tapes and a ten-pack of Zip 100 carts. Loved those Sunday morning runs to CompUSA for the freebies.

rated:

Can't you just use all the floppies that America Online mailed to you?  2 of them will fit in each of those steel cans that AOL later used for mailing out CD-ROMs.  

I found there's a not too terribly old motherboard chipset that includes a floppy disk controller.  It's newer than Socket LGA 775, maybe LGA 1155 or 1156, but I've never found a motherboard that uses it having a floppy connector.

rated:

Just order a few hundred America Online disks and use a hole punch to make them writable.

rated:
I still have a square hole puncher which turned standard disks into double density (1.44) disks.

rated:
Newegg should have saved this deal for April Fools Day!!

Actually, I have a box or 2 of unused 1.44mb discs, wonder if hey are still good?  Maybe I can sell them on eBay now!

rated:
what is that ??will it work with Ringplus?

rated:
Any deal on 5.25" floppy drives?

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   
I found there's a not too terribly old motherboard chipset that includes a floppy disk controller.  It's newer than Socket LGA 775, maybe LGA 1155 or 1156, but I've never found a motherboard that uses it having a floppy connector.

This one does:    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157240

rated:
I still have a usb 3/12 floppy drive that came with an IBM laptop I got many years ago.
Have not used it in years, but...........

rated:
Scumbag said:   

And when I picked up the telephone I had to tell the operator the number I wanted....... wait I do that now with Siri.     OK, I had to get off the couch to change the TV channel

rated:
I need a floppy drive that works with Windows 10.

rated:
I still have probably between 300 and 400 used (but good) floppy disks bought at an auction fifteen years ago for a couple of bucks.  They were and are a  total waste of money, but they are tough to throw out.  What was I thinking!!  

rated:
Too bad can't find drive that reads both floppy & Zip disks!
Still have a single prob 8" floppy in my cabinet.

rated:
Scumbag said:   

Try paper tape and vacuum tubes. Eniac, Illiac. Punch cards were for Fortran II that  is 1960's stuff.  Johnny Come Lately.One of my neighbors was riding a mule to school in the bar ditch alongside the road. He came up on a skunk and grabbed it by the tail and carried it to school.

rated:
I still have 2 of these stash away. I might still have a zip drive that reads them.

rated:
let's not forget the even-lesser-used superdisk/ls120 (and later ls-240) drives.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDisk

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017