posted 2 months ago by
thx
Ancient Member

Chattanooga area Ace Hardware stores are offering a 20 lb propane tank refill for $9.99, Obviously this is B&M only. Good through 1/16/2017

7 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
The first word in your post should be in the title.

rated:
was happy at first on money saved, than the price of gas to drive there from jersey kicked in.

rated:
tinkakat said:   was happy at first on money saved, than the price of gas to drive there from jersey kicked in.

Check Uhaul website.  Some of them will fill propane tanks.  Not $9.99 but cheaper than exchange prices ( or driving to TN)

rated:
freakinout said:   
tinkakat said:   was happy at first on money saved, than the price of gas to drive there from jersey kicked in.
Check Uhaul website.  Some of them will fill propane tanks.  Not $9.99 but cheaper than exchange prices ( or driving to TN)

And refills are always a better deal, because they will actually have more in them, and you're only buying what you need.  Exchanges never seem to be really full...

rated:
Connman said:   
And refills are always a better deal, because they will actually have more in them, and you're only buying what you need.  Exchanges never seem to be really full...

At least in my area, they legally can't sell a 100% full tank. They allow for expansion/contraction due to different altitudes, safety in shipping, or even different sides of buildings they sit on. Now, if you bring in a not quite 100% empty tank, you may end up with a 100% when they fill it. 

I am curious to what the normal price is there?

rated:
As someone who buys a lot of propane for my food truck, U-Haul has literally the worst price on propane refills on earth.  Wal-Mart exchanges @ $12.99, and most every community has a propane supplier that will fill you up cheaper than that.  I can't think of any reason to go to U-Haul unless you needed to go to the bathroom and there was poison ivy in the woods.

With regard to propane refills not being "full," a 20# tank holds......16# over the tare weight of the empty container.  A 30# container holds 24#..... and so on.  There is still expansion space in the container over and above the stated capacity.  20% of the tank volume is commonly reserved for gas expansion.  A refill @ 10 or 12# is just a rip-off.

A propane refill may vary from location to location, just like an order of McDonald's fries never seems to be "full."  Divide purchase price by number of pounds provided in tank to determine your best value.

rated:
It definitely pays to shop around if you are going to get your tank refilled vs getting a replacement refilled tank. The only reason I went with a replacement refilled tank recently was so I could get a tank that was newer and refillable as my old tank was beyond the refill age and I didn't want to buy a brand new tank.

But as far as pricing goes for propane refills in my area it can be a dollar or more difference per gallon & Some places have a minimum purchase so if you only end up topping off a gallon you still have to pay their minimum 2 gallon refill price. In my hood Costco is the cheapest, but turned me away with my old tank. Random local gas station (who had been my previous point of purchase before Costcos propane service showed up) with a pretty good price would fill my out of date tank, so I had to go back to them when costco turned me away.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017