posted 48 years ago by
reflectionholman

BestBuy.com has 16GB BLU Life Max 4G LTE GSM Unlocked Smartphone (Dark Blue) on sale for $79.99Shipping is free or select free store pickup where available.  
Specs

• MediaTek 6737 1.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • 5.5" 720x1280 BLU Infinite View IPS Touchscreen Display
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB Internal Storage (w/ microSD slot)
  • 8MP Rear & 5MP Front Cameras
  • Dual Sim Card
  • Fingerprint Sensor
  • 3700mAh Battery
  • Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Views
13 Comments
Add Comment
Network Type
GSM 2G Frequency 1800, 1900, 850, 900
GSM 3G Frequency 1700, 1900, 2100
4G LTE Frequency 1700, 1900, 2600, 700
4G LTE Band 12, 17, 2, 4, 7

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I was looking into this as something to get my mother to replace her Sprint flip-phone whose battery life is terrible, as well as her wifi-only smartphone whose 8GB internal just isn't enough for her enthusiastic social media. Unfortunately I see that despite this one being unlocked, none of its network compatibility matches with Sprint's CDMA.

Does anyone know off the top of their head of a 16GB+ unlocked Android phone that is CDMA and close to $100?

Please be aware that BLU phones have chinese spyware if it was manufactured before Dec 2016.
http://www.pcmag.com/news/350046/phone-maker-blu-trades-chinese-...

forbin4040 said:   Please be aware that BLU phones have chinese spyware if it was manufactured before Dec 2016.

This is ridiculous. 

DarthWoo said:   Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I was looking into this as something to get my mother to replace her Sprint flip-phone whose battery life is terrible, as well as her wifi-only smartphone whose 8GB internal just isn't enough for her enthusiastic social media. Unfortunately I see that despite this one being unlocked, none of its network compatibility matches with Sprint 's CDMA.

Does anyone know off the top of their head of a 16GB+ unlocked Android phone that is CDMA and close to $100?

I think most unlocked new phones are going to be GSM and not CDMA. That said, Amazon's Moto G4 and Moto G Play are unlocked for all carriers (GSM and CDMA). I have the G4 and really love it. It is on AT&T towers through Tracfone (I mainly am on wi-fi). It is $149.99 with Prime though. You might be interested in the G Play. It is $99.99 with 16GB, 2 GB RAM, Marshmallow and is unlocked for all carriers. The price is if you have Prime though. 

DarthWoo said:   Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I was looking into this as something to get my mother to replace her Sprint flip-phone whose battery life is terrible, as well as her wifi-only smartphone whose 8GB internal just isn't enough for her enthusiastic social media. Unfortunately I see that despite this one being unlocked, none of its network compatibility matches with Sprint 's CDMA.

Check out the Moto G4 Play at @mazon, if you are a Prime member you can buy it for $99

reflectionholman said:   
forbin4040 said:   Please be aware that BLU phones have chinese spyware if it was manufactured before Dec 2016.

This is ridiculous. 

Maybe not...  ​http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/kryptowire-adups-news/ plus lots of other sources.

I've had a couple of Blu phones. Nice looking hardware, but there's always some element that's lacking or doesn't work well. And Blu is absolutely notorious for failing to give timely OS updates or for updates screwing up a phone. I won't buy another at any price point.

With a Blu, if you need any kind of CS beyond your 14 day return period at BB, you are pretty much on your own and just out the cost of a phone. You couldn't run fast enough to give me one.

lindelynn said:   
reflectionholman said:   

This is ridiculous. 

Maybe not...  ​http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/kryptowire-adups-news/ plus lots of other sources.

It was a third party app "Wireless Update" version 5.3 and below I believe. New update from Blu that was released back in November has fixed the issue (at least for my Blu R1 HD)

I am a staunch supporter of privacy, so hate it when personal data/info is collected illegally. But let us not forget that the biggest elephant in the room, when it comes to illegally collecting personal information and sharing it with govt, is our own tech companies and govt as Snowden highlighted.

When was the BLU Life Max 4G LTE GSM released? Is it free of the spyware issue from December 2016 and earlier? I've never used BLU products, but am thinking this would be a good interim phone.

NEDeals said:   When was the BLU Life Max 4G LTE GSM released? Is it free of the spyware issue from December 2016 and earlier? I've never used BLU products, but am thinking this would be a good interim phone.
  November 2016. Most likely it has the fix. If not and you want to be safe, just use a dummy google acct to setup the phone and update the software immediately before making any calls or text. Once the software is updated, factory reset the phone and sign in with the acct you intend to use.

FatWKing said:   
NEDeals said:   When was the BLU Life Max 4G LTE GSM released? Is it free of the spyware issue from December 2016 and earlier? I've never used BLU products, but am thinking this would be a good interim phone.
  November 2016. Most likely it has the fix. If not and you want to be safe, just use a dummy google acct to setup the phone and update the software immediately before making any calls or text. Once the software is updated, factory reset the phone and sign in with the acct you intend to use.

This sorta brings the spyware back right?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017