posted 48 years ago by
ShoppingChick

Kmart has the Soda Stream Home Soda Maker Jet Machine on sale for $19.99 with in-store pickup. 

• Included: SodaStream Machine 1 Reusable Starter CO2 Carbonator (4 oz.) 1 Reusable Carbonating Bottle
  • Features Easy Snap-Lock Bottle Connection Automatic slider for simple carbonation
  •  Choose from over 40 better-for-you regular, diet, and naturally flavored SodaStream mix varieties with no high-fructose corn syrup and no aspartame
  • Requires no electricity or batteries
  • 2-year warranty               

Rated 4.6/5 stars from 247 Kmart customer reviews.  A seller on Amazon has the next lowest price for $62.97 while merchants on Google Shopping has it priced from $66.99.

Views
32 Comments
Add Comment
What's the best-case cost to use this ongoing compared to store-bought?

Just ordered one from the last Kmart in my area - thanks!

Hi there.  I've been using my Soda Stream for several years now, and I am pleased with it.  From a cost savings, you're probably not going to save tons.  The CO2 tank has a proprietary valve which prevents refilling it from any standard gas supply company.  For this reason, you have to exchange it when it runs dry.  They say that the tank (about $15) should supply 60 one-liter fills.  I personally like a lot of fizz, so I put more CO2 into each liter of soda.  For this reason, I get about 45 liters.  Your mileage may vary.  A bottle of flavoring gives me about 8 liters, at about $4 per bottle.  I can usually get my CO2 exchanges at Bed Bath & Beyond, using one of their many $5 coupons, bringing that cost to about $10.

So .....
$10 for CO2 for 48 liters of soda
6 bottles of flavoring, at $4 per, for 48 liters of soda:  $24

Total - $34 for 48 liters of soda, or 70 cents per liter.

Note - You're not getting Coke or Pepsi - you're getting 'Cola'.  Tastes fine to me.  Picky soda drinkers may feel differently.  I'm the only one in my house who drinks soda, so I don't have anything else to compare it to.

Bottom line - 70 cents / liter isn't bad.  You could probably do better buying bulk name brand soda, but .... I personally use it for the convenience and the ecological advantage.  I'm never out of soda.  I don't have to return all those empty bottles to the store (NY state requires a deposit on all soda bottles), and I'm not wasting plastic for every liter that I drink.  I know - bottles are recycled, but I'd rather not use one at all, than have to have the energy/materials used to recycle an old one.

Hope this helps

Bagofchips said:   What's the best-case cost to use this ongoing compared to store-bought?
  To really save money you need to:
A - make your own syrup.  Easy enough to do, but hard to get the range of flavors easily that you can just buy from soda stream off the shelf.  Some of the fancier examples - http://www.sodasherpa.com/best-sodastream-recipes/ 
One of the simplest recipes that I enjoy (many people do not), is celery seed syrup.  Similar to Dr Browns Celray soda.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/celery-soda-recip... 
Generic syrups also available from some stores.

B - do NOT pay their exorbitant 'exchange' fees for CO2.  One way is to use a paintball canister with Sodastream adapter (check eBay for adapter).  This requires additional outlay around $30-$40 for those items, but CO2 refills from sporting goods stores are often only around $3 or so, vs $15-$30 Sodastream exchange.  Even though the paintball canister holds less CO2 (often 9-12oz vs sodastream 14.5oz), the refill savings add up quickly.  (larger size CO2 tanks available (20-24oz) may fit the Sodastream models that take the larger 130L canisters, but their shape varies, so not all.  (EDIT:  Seems I was mistaken.  The Jet = Fountain Jet which DOES in fact take the larger CO2 tanks.))
The real deal is refilling with dry ice.  Check youtube link below for details, but essentially you just open the Sodastream CO2 with a wrench and using a scale to measure, add dry ice up to max weight.  Reseal and allow CO2 time to liquefy.  Dry Ice is often available from large groceries stores for as little as a couple bucks a pound.  For reference, the small size Sodastream uses about 14oz of CO2 (ie. less than a pound.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-a3pISQLQg

If you really want to cut cost on the syrups, go to the actual Kmart retail store. Went last week and they had over 100+ bottles and are priced at 25 cents each. Many flavors to choose from.and they stopped stocking them after he ran out of room on the shelves. Looks like they had more in the back for restocking later. I grabbed 9 as I tried the fruit flavored waters essentials, 1 root beer, but they had plenty of soda flavors too.. 

If you're willing to try 'em where I live they're available at my hometown's on B&M Kmart (never available before) @ $22.99 and they have an assortment of syrup refills for $0.25 each.

Would I be able to somehow use the syrups WITHOUT the machine (yes, I would miss the bubbles, but want to know if it's worth it...)?

PS: They've dropped the price of the machines to the same $19.99 Stateside price...

billetera said:   
Would I be able to somehow use the syrups WITHOUT the machine (yes, I would miss the bubbles, but want to know if it's worth it...)?

Sure, it's just like making kool aid from a liquid instead of a powder.

Buy store seltzer and pour in FOX'S U BET syrup, chocolate, cherry, etc. Its the same with out all the fuss. Or buy ur own Seltzer bottle with co2 cartridges and make ur own seltzer too.

In for one, thanks.

Milwaukee, WI
For 53154
Shipping Temporarily Unavailable
Store Pickup Not Available within 50 miles of 53154

Forget recharged sodastream canisters. Buy a CO2 canister from Amazon or eBay along with an adapter for sodastream (Another $45-60) and you can do $4-$5 refills from Dicks or anywhere that does paintball refills. SO much cheaper.

I saw at least 30 of these at a local store that sold stuff from stores that were going out of business that was, ironically enough, going out of business itself the other day (it is a store owned by SB Capital Group, which once owned Value City and bought out the JC Penney Outlet stores, only to close them a year later... and crazy thing is this particular building has housed all of those stores). Anyway, they were $2 each during the absolute final day of the clearance and these were about the only things even left in the store, but for some odd reason, every single one had a box that was torn open and appeared to be missing pieces. I can't figure out what the deal was with that. I have a feeling you probably could have gone through the boxes and put together a complete package, but not knowing exactly what should be in there, it wasn't worth the risk. Is there something in these that makes them a particular Target for having boxes that are torn open and contents strewn along the shelf?

Other models available: Jet, Splash, Play and Source for the same price

anyone know which is "better"

sdskees said:   I saw at least 30 of these at a local store that sold stuff from stores that were going out of business that was, ironically enough, going out of business itself the other day (it is a store owned by SB Capital Group, which once owned Value City and bought out the JC Penney Outlet stores, only to close them a year later... and crazy thing is this particular building has housed all of those stores). Anyway, they were $2 each during the absolute final day of the clearance and these were about the only things even left in the store, but for some odd reason, every single one had a box that was torn open and appeared to be missing pieces. I can't figure out what the deal was with that. I have a feeling you probably could have gone through the boxes and put together a complete package, but not knowing exactly what should be in there, it wasn't worth the risk. Is there something in these that makes them a particular Target for having boxes that are torn open and contents strewn along the shelf?
  Probably the CO2 cartridge.  It is roughly $20 alone (although these come with a "starter" cartridge).

For some reason can't add any of the models to a cart. Something wrong with site.

speckr said:   Buy store seltzer and pour in FOX'S U BET syrup, chocolate, cherry, etc. Its the same with out all the fuss. Or buy ur own Seltzer bottle with co2 cartridges and make ur own seltzer too.
  those small CO2 cartridges are good for convenience, but are about the worst way to do it for value.  A bigger pack of the chargers (100) looks to cost about $40 and makes 100L of soda.  The 60L Sodastream refill (really around 50L) costs $15, which would work out to around $30 for the same 100L.  (There are also ways to get the Sodastream refills cheaper, like coupons at bed bath and beyond and probably elsewhere.)  So the Sodastream, as expensive as it is for CO2 refills, is STILL 25% (or more) cheaper than individual chargers.
psxzombie said:   Other models available: Jet, Splash, Play and Source for the same price

anyone know which is "better"

google them for their retail prices.  I was just looking and think the Jet is the cheaper model, with Source being the more expensive.  Also, far as I can tell the 'Splash' is really the same as the 'Play'.  So, get the Source, if you can.
EDIT:  I reconsidered because the Source is one of the models that can not use the larger 130L tank, if you want to upgrade in the future.  If that matters to you, the 'Splash Play' model is probably the better choice, but the 'Fountain Jet' model also should take the 130L tank.

Occasional said:   Forget recharged sodastream canisters. Buy a CO2 canister from Amazon or eBay along with an adapter for sodastream (Another $45-60) and you can do $4-$5 refills from Dicks or anywhere that does paintball refills. SO much cheaper.
  Not food grade.....no thanks.

I've had a SodaStream for at least five years, and I've come to enjoy unflavored carbonated water a lot more than flavored soda. My Diet Coke consumption has been cut by at least 75%.

Perhaps the best part, though, is that I no longer have as much hassle hauling heavy, bulky containers of liquids home from the grocery store.

C02 cartridge exchanges are $10 at BB&B with one of their $5 coupons, as mentioned upthread.

I got the external tank system from http://co2doctor.com/ and connected it to a large tank. I haven't had to refill yet and have made lots of soda.

I get Mccormick's root beer extract from Wal Mart for a few dollars a bottle. I use 1/2 tsp root beer extract and 1/2 cup sugar per bottle. I'll use a funnel to get the sugar in to the bottle.

I was originally dissolving the root beer extract in a small amount of water I heated in the microwave since it stuck to the measuring spoon before pouring it in to the bottle. Now I have a bottle with an eye dropper that I use to add 30 drops to the bottle (about 1/2 tsp). A word of warning don't try to add the root beer extract before carbonating or you get a foam mess.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WWO7BC - Again I get this from Wal Mart for a few dollars a bottle. Just adding the link for reference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZSX42K - Initially bought these to store peppermint extract to make single serving peppermint hot chocolate. 

otaymiester said:   I've had a SodaStream for at least five years, and I've come to enjoy unflavored carbonated water a lot more than flavored soda. My Diet Coke consumption has been cut by at least 75%.

Perhaps the best part, though, is that I no longer have as much hassle hauling heavy, bulky containers of liquids home from the grocery store.

C02 cartridge exchanges are $10 at BB&B with one of their $5 coupons, as mentioned upthread.

My experience as well except that I've had mine for longer.  I do, often, add a couple ounces of grape juice, or vegetable juice, to a glass if I want some sweetness.  I use it everyday. 

I've come to enjoy unflavored carbonated water a lot more than flavored soda. My Diet Coke consumption has been cut by at least 75%.
But surely that's essentially Club Soda or Seltzer Water? Winn-Dixie usually has a case of 12 Chek for $2.50 (4/$10, sometimes less) which is 59c/L if my math is right.

We've been looking at Soda Stream units for years but they seem so expensive. And they might be good for Club Soda, but using them to make cola reminds me of ancient times when a fountain didn't mix on the way into the cup, but the operator filled the glass with carbonated water and then added syrup and stirred. I recall reading long ago that Coke (for example) discontinued that because there was so little quality control.

=aw

=aw

When I got my Soda Stream machine several years ago it came with standard size CO2 bottle.  This one has really small CO2 bottle.  The Amazon description mentions it coming with a mail-in coupon for a free larger gas bottle.

otaymiester said:   I've had a SodaStream for at least five years, and I've come to enjoy unflavored carbonated water a lot more than flavored soda. My Diet Coke consumption has been cut by at least 75%.

Similar story here but I changed to using a paintball gun tank with an adapter. $5 or less to refill that. We also drink mostly carbonated water but sometimes flavor it with a small shot of lime juice, sodastream syrup (less than 50% recommend amount), Gatorade, fruit juice, etc.. 

RegUSPatOff said:   Milwaukee, WI
For 53154
Shipping Temporarily Unavailable
Store Pickup Not Available within 50 miles of 53154

The K-Mart at 5141 Douglas Ave in the Racine, WI (store closing sale)
on (2) end-of-isle end-caps:
about (30) SodaStream units, all on sale for $ 19.99 (no returns)
A few SodaStream Jets
A few SodaStream Source
A few SodaStream Play
most (if not ALL) w/ a 14.5 oz Co2 cartridge (14")

Went to pick up my Jet I ordered online. While stocking up on the 25 cent syrups, I found a couple Play units at the same price. Exchanged the Jet for thr Play as it can take the larger 130L cylinder and the Jet cannot. The cylinder that comes with the Play is the standard 60L. Bought the second Play as the bottle and cylinder would have been more than $20

WHY do the recommend "Carbonate water only" ?

Because carbonating anything other than clean water will contaminate the machine and eventually lead to an explosive failure. You don't want that, believe me.

RegUSPatOff said:   WHY do the recommend "Carbonate water only" ?
 If you carbonate other liquids it tends to foam up and make a mess. The excess CO2 actually vents through the Sodastream. If foam bubbles over it can go through the unit and cause problems. There are no electronics in the unit so you can attempt to wash the sticky mess out. If you are careful you can control the venting but it is very easy to have a mess on your hands.

CaedynsPapu said:   Went to pick up my Jet I ordered online. While stocking up on the 25 cent syrups, I found a couple Play units at the same price. Exchanged the Jet for thr Play as it can take the larger 130L cylinder and the Jet cannot. The cylinder that comes with the Play is the standard 60L. Bought the second Play as the bottle and cylinder would have been more than $20
  You sure?  According to the Sodastream page I was just looking at, the Jet takes 130L tank too.
https://www.sodastreamusa.com/cylinders-c21.aspx

Models that take the 130L tank:
Fountain Jet
Splash Play
Revolution
Dynamo
Fizz

Danzilla said:   
CaedynsPapu said:   Went to pick up my Jet I ordered online. While stocking up on the 25 cent syrups, I found a couple Play units at the same price. Exchanged the Jet for thr Play as it can take the larger 130L cylinder and the Jet cannot. The cylinder that comes with the Play is the standard 60L. Bought the second Play as the bottle and cylinder would have been more than $20
  You sure?  According to the Sodastream page I was just looking at, the Jet takes 130L tank too.
https://www.sodastreamusa.com/cylinders-c21.aspx 

Models that take the 130L tank:
Fountain Jet
Splash Play
Revolution
Dynamo
Fizz

I recline corrected. The box on the Jet did not indicate this.  Thanks.  

Link is dead for me

AZPhil said:   Link is dead for me
  Yeah, it looks like they pulled all the SodaStream stuff from their site - I noticed this on Saturday when at the store picking mine up.  Worth a look in-store if you still have one near you.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017