posted 4 months ago by
NotYourMomma
Senior Member - 1K

FreedomPop 99 cent LTE sim card 

AT&T 4G LTE sim for GSM unlocked phone, much better performance than the Global HSPA+ sim deal they have going also. Pay a little more one time to get better results.

Info (cranialborborygmus.com) Read this information/review if you are considering FreedomPop

227 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
I clicked on the link you posted and it looks like the exact same deal.... With the exception of the international data, Which to me would be a better deal than this...... What am I missing?

rated:
lemonhead said:   I clicked on the link you posted and it looks like the exact same deal.... With the exception of the international data, Which to me would be a better deal than this...... What am I missing?
  pros: Faster speed (HSPA is considered 3.5G)
           Faster pings
           No UK redirects
           International plan is also available (including a free option)
           Same ability to earn extra data and share data as with other FP plans
           Did I mention FASTER Speed?

Hope this helps...          

rated:
I have been infrequently using the FreedomPop Global SIM in a Novatel Mifi2 for the last 6 months. I knew when I purchased it that it wasn't 4G LTE, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the speed on numerous occasions. It came in Handy in Amsterdam and Norway last summer and I've used it on a couple trips in the US also. Most of the time and places I used it, it showed HSPA+ on the display. If it shows GSM, you have to be patient. When it drops down to Edge, it's unusable. If you have an unlocked mifi, the Global SIM is worth a try. One caveat. You can use Pandora because the SIM is based out of the US (UK redirects as mentioned in comment above. As always with FreedomPop, be prepared to micromanage your account if you want to keep the cost down to Free after purchase.

rated:
Green for you! I ordered one and will see how it works. At my location only AT&T has a usable signal. TMO has no signal at all.

rated:
I bought 2 at $1.99 in first couple of hours after Sale started.
It is much better than Global SIM if you're using in US.
It connect to LTE and 3G (as AT&T USA has no 2G towers anymore).

rated:
$1.99 deal is back...

rated:
my laptop needed a reboot  error gone now

rated:
Anyone, let me know if link works now.

rated:
I tried it using my phone, and the FW get deal button and it worked! Yay! I almost ordered one for $4.99
The 400 bad request error continues on my laptop.  edit:  it just needed a reboot

rated:
New to FreedomPop
Inserted SIM in unlocked AT&T phone.
Tried making calls. It attempts. Displays "calling...", and then abruptly hangs up before connecting.
What am I doing wrong?
What do I still need to do to make it work?

ETA: Using a non-smart Flip phone

rated:
with a smart phone, you have to use FreedomPop app from play store, I don't know how it works with a dumb phone.

.Did you restart the phone after inserting sim?

rated:
It won't work with a dumbphone. All FreedomPop SIMs are data only. The "voice" and "texting" are VoIP and a special messaging app that acts like "real" texting but uses the data connection. Many of us don't bother with the FP app, and just use Google Voice/Hangouts for voice and messaging instead.

rated:
I got two SIMs from FreedomPop a few weeks back on the same day. I have these two SIMs on identical phones on the same kind of free plan.

But, one phone always says "AT&T" and the other says "FreedomPop" for carrier even when the phones are right next to each other. Is this due to my phone setup, or are they just different types of SIMs? Doesn't FreedomPop use the Sprint network nowadays?

rated:
eurekaa said:   I got two SIMs from FreedomPop a few weeks back on the same day. I have these two SIMs on identical phones on the same kind of free plan.

But, one phone always says "AT&T" and the other says "FreedomPop " for carrier even when the phones are right next to each other. Is this due to my phone setup, or are they just different types of SIMs? Doesn't FreedomPop use the Sprint network nowadays?

When FreedomPop started years ago, it was Sprint CDMA, now they also have GSM with ATT and the global sim is ATT and T-Mobile.

rated:
eurekaa said:   I got two SIMs from FreedomPop a few weeks back on the same day. I have these two SIMs on identical phones on the same kind of free plan.

But, one phone always says "AT&T" and the other says "FreedomPop " for carrier even when the phones are right next to each other. Is this due to my phone setup, or are they just different types of SIMs? Doesn't FreedomPop use the Sprint network nowadays?

Check the SIM packages.  One may be a 4G LTE SIM (AT&T) and one may be a Global SIM.  

rated:
What's the difference between the two, and how is one better than the other?

rated:
Are these freedom pop (either global or att) data only for making calls or can you actually use the cell minutes without wifi or data signal?
I have the global sim and cannot make a call that uses "talk". Every call comes out of the data bucket.???

rated:
Information about FP sims   Review and great how to use FreedomPop page.

rated:
Danng..I was hoping I could pop in of these in a goPhone without unlocking it first like I can with a Tracfone at&t SIM.  Well then I'm surprised to find the at&t system doesn't even recognize the goPhone's imei to get it unlocked.  So i guess I wait until the 9th and see about unlocking  that at&t Tracfone and popping it in there

EDIT: Both of these issues resolved themselves   The goPhone now works with the FP SIM and I was able to get an unlock request to go through

rated:
There are 8 different FP apps on Google Play. Which is the correct one ?

rated:
blueribb said:   There are 8 different FP apps on Google Play. Which is the correct one ?
 FreedomPop Messaging Phone/Sim

rated:
Does the Motorola Moto G4 work with FreedomPop ?

I entered my phone's IMEI and it said to call them. I called and I'm waiting on a return call now.

rated:
I think they sent me a global SIM. It's not blue, and it only gets hspa in a 4g signal area when I pop it in my Moto G4. If I am able to unlock a 3g tracfone to stick in it it won't matter, but I could have gotten a global SIM+8gd microSd card for $1 less if I wanted one.

rated:
Larryslug said:   I think they sent me a global SIM. It's not blue, and it only gets hspa in a 4g signal area when I pop it in my Moto G4. If I am able to unlock a 3g tracfone to stick in it it won't matter, but I could have gotten a global SIM+8gd microSd card for $1 less if I wanted one.
  My two LTE sims are plain white, no name or logo, just sim number. Try restarting phone and other areas to troubleshoot.

rated:
blueribb said:   Does the Motorola Moto G4 work with FreedomPop ?

I entered my phone's IMEI and it said to call them. I called and I'm waiting on a return call now.

Moto G4 is  dual CDMA and GSM, correct? are you still with another carrier? that could be the reason.

rated:
Would this SIM work in an iPad like their other SIMs?

rated:
NotYourMomma said:   
blueribb said:   Does the Motorola Moto G4 work with FreedomPop ?

Moto G4 is  dual CDMA and GSM, correct? are you still with another carrier? that could be the reason.

It's the phone I use with Ring Plus. 

rated:
NotYourMomma said:   
Larryslug said:   I think they sent me a global SIM. It's not blue, and it only gets hspa in a 4g signal area when I pop it in my Moto G4. If I am able to unlock a 3g tracfone to stick in it it won't matter, but I could have gotten a global SIM+8gd microSd card for $1 less if I wanted one.
  My two LTE sims are plain white, no name or logo, just sim number. Try restarting phone and other areas to troubleshoot.

Well, playing around by first putting in my Tracfone SIM in the G4 just to see if it was getting 4G, and then shutting down the phone and popping in the FP SIM it is now getting LTE  When you open this thread on a mobile phone it shows a picture of a blue sim card.  Thanks for confirming yours were also plain white.  I actually liberated my G4 from Ring+ last night so I may as well use it on FP

rated:
Is this SIM personal hotspot compatible? I don't see why it shouldn't...if I purchase this SIM, I probably won't use anything but that. So I would like to know. Thanks.

rated:
Larryslug said:   
NotYourMomma said:   

Well, playing around by first putting in my Tracfone SIM in the G4 just to see if it was getting 4G, and then shutting down the phone and popping in the FP SIM it is now getting LTE  When you open this thread on a mobile phone it shows a picture of a blue sim card.  Thanks for confirming yours were also plain white.  I actually liberated my G4 from Ring+ last night so I may as well use it on FP

Yeah, someone else put that pic up, has wrong price too...glad to hear yours is working.

rated:
Does FreedomPop have a no activity cancellation clause like RingPlus ?

rated:
No.

rated:
Can you add Freedom Friends, to get extra data, like you can on their Sprint based plans? I have an old Sprint iPhone 5 that I use as a hotspot on their 500MB free plan, plus 10 FreedomFriends at 50MB each. So I have a 1GB Sprint hotspot for about $4 per month (the hotspot fee). I'd love to have something like this on a GSM network for the times that I travel to a certain place that has ATT and T-Mobile but no Verizon or Sprint.

rated:
timswim78 said:   Can you add Freedom Friends, to get extra data, like you can on their Sprint based plans? I have an old Sprint iPhone 5 that I use as a hotspot on their 500MB free plan, plus 10 FreedomFriends at 50MB each. So I have a 1GB Sprint hotspot for about $4 per month (the hotspot fee). I'd love to have something like this on a GSM network for the times that I travel to a certain place that has ATT and T-Mobile but no Verizon or Sprint
  Yes, you can. Also, when you have two or more FreedomPop accounts, you can share up to 100mb to your other account if you have a favorite to use.

rated:
I haven't paid much attention to FP for the past couple of years, so please forgive if these are basic questions.

From what I read of the thread, there's no actual voice airtime included in the plan, it's just data and you use VoIP (like R+ FluidCall?). Can I use my own softphone (CSipSimple) or does it have to be FP's dialler? With R+ I've been using the bundled airtime and GV app (to change the outgoing caller ID).

If there's really a free plan (just $1.99 for SIM), how does FP make their money (this is an important question coming off R+)?

I gave it my zip code and I see that in fact it's signing me up for a free trial of a $27.98/mo plan and that I have to call to cancel. I'm starting to remember some of the criticisms of FP in the past. Is it hard to cancel?

If I go over my 200/500/200 allotment on the free plan, does it just stop working or do I get hit with overage charges? Even at the "Final Step Before Activation" I still don't see any reference to overages.

Thanks!
=aw

rated:
ottawa said:   I haven't paid much attention to FP for the past couple of years, so please forgive if these are basic questions.

From what I read of the thread, there's no actual voice airtime included in the plan, it's just data and you use VoIP (like R+ FluidCall?). Can I use my own softphone (CSipSimple) or does it have to be FP's dialler? With R+ I've been using the bundled airtime and GV app (to change the outgoing caller ID).

If there's really a free plan (just $1.99 for SIM), how does FP make their money (this is an important question coming off R+)?

I gave it my zip code and I see that in fact it's signing me up for a free trial of a $27.98/mo plan and that I have to call to cancel. I'm starting to remember some of the criticisms of FP in the past. Is it hard to cancel?

If I go over my 200/500/200 allotment on the free plan, does it just stop working or do I get hit with overage charges? Even at the "Final Step Before Activation" I still don't see any reference to overages.

Thanks!
=aw

there is a link in the first post of this thread (cranialborborygmus.com) that you need to read. I betting it will answer most of your questions...

rated:
Thanks, it does seem to answer them. I can see there are lots of steps to making sure the service is free, and easy to make a mistake. I will probably pursue this myself, but will not recommend it for the people I know getting bumped off R+. They could barely keep up with that service, and I was filtering everything down to specific instructions like "turn off data on your phone!".

I was happy to see I could downgrade to $0/mo online (by doing it in two places) and don't have to phone in to do it, which the FP site implied.

=aw

rated:

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017