posted 48 years ago by
ksamymiester
Cool Member

Gamestop has dropped various used/refurb PS3 prices to a rock bottom low. For me it's a HUGE YMMV. I was able to snap a 80gb fat PS3 for $43 after tax (Cleveland OH). Great for a movie player or casual gamer.

Views
7 Comments
Add Comment
Great deal! If I'm not mistaken the bulky consoles listed as "4 usb" are backwards compatible with ps2 and those are in the $39 range.

If you are buying one to play ps2 games, the hardware ps2 backward compatibility was only in the launch 20 and 60 gb models. I think the 80 gb with 4 USB had software emulation, but it didn't work with all games.

Thanks for sharing the info. I bought a PS3 Slim years ago and was hoping someone would port Burnout: Takedown, but it looks like getting an old PS2 or backwards compatible PS3 is my only route. I keep holding out hope Xbox One will have a version on their system, but no dice so far.

jcantanixon said:   If you are buying one to play ps2 games, the hardware ps2 backward compatibility was only in the launch 20 and 60 gb models. I think the 80 gb with 4 USB had software emulation, but it didn't work with all games.
And, even when it did work, the quality was often very sub-par.  Plus, if the system software is updated, you lose PS2 compatibility.  So, if you want a PS3 that is backward-compatible, your best bet is definitely a 20GB or 60GB with four USB ports.  (And, if you are going for that, also be sure that you're using a true Sony controller. 3rd party and even darned-near-perfect knock-off controllers tend not to work at all on PS2 games, as I found out the hard way.)

I know nothing about GameStop and have never used their web site... Can someone help me out?

If the "pick your store" option actually lists stores, does that mean they should have the item in stock? It is not very clear... I did find one item that showed an error message indicating not available. The error message was in a funny color and hard to read. P.S. Who makes these terrible web sites?

Their site wasn't really meant to be a 'will call site'. Just go into any GameStop (or call) and see if they have any used PS3s

still have my JB phat ps3 60gb. amazing what was possible on these old consoles .... external hard drive w games transferred thru the network. finally grew up tho i guess and now have to buy games haha

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017