posted 48 years ago by
ottawa
Senior Member - 1K

CBS All-Access is their new streaming service. I'd only heard of it as the "network" where the new Star Trek show would be, though they're running commercials for "The Good Fight" spinoff of The Good Wife.

Limited Commercials is $5.99/mo with 1mo free trial ending tonight at midnight (don't know what happens after that, maybe it's a 7-day free trial). I got an email today and just signed up for the free trial.

TCB has $9 CB after paying (no CB if you cancel during free trial). I figure I'll take the free month, let them charge me at beginning of March (trigger $9 TCB CB?), then put in my cancellation which should take effect end March/beginning April.

=aw

Views
27 Comments
Add Comment
I've got a HD Homerun Dual so I can record OTA programming. What does this deal do for me?

kshell said:   I've got a HD Homerun Dual so I can record OTA programming. What does this deal do for me?
  As the OP mentioned, there will be some shows exclusive to their streaming service, if you're really feeling the need to pay for what used to be free (if ad-supported) shows. As for me, as much as it pains me to miss out on a new Trek, I won't be biting. This seems like a surefire way to make sure their new premium-only shows have low viewership.

I've got a HD Homerun Dual so I can record OTA programming. What does this deal do for me?
$3 MM as in subject line.

Plus exclusives (much like why people may end up with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon -- there's lots of overlap but each has exclusives. ).

I'm not too interested in paying $6/mo for The Good Fight, but if it's any good I'm hoping there's some binge-watching option to get it all done by end of March (when my MM paid month after my free month ends ). If not, my neighbour is going to get a free month of CBS All Access.

=aw

It's now 1203am (EST) and the CBS site is offering a 7-day trial period for CBS All Access. TCB is still advertising $9 CB with the first paid month, so it's still a $3 MM (you just get 5 weeks instead of 8 weeks).

I'll edit the subject header. Don't know if there's a time limit on the free week, I assume not. The free week (and earlier, the free month) is not available on the no-commercials $10/mo plan.

[ADDED: I corrected it to a $3 MM, guess I can't do math in my head at night any more. And the offer seems to wander between 1wk and 1mo free, main thing is you get the $9 CB when you make the first $6 payment after the free trial.]

=aw

I really thought about doing this, but in the end I don't think I'd ever voluntarily even open it. Just one more thing to have to keep up with for "(trigger $9 TCB CB?)".

It's so weird seeing TCB deals posted on FW...

TCB is hit or miss on CB tracking,and more often than not it has been a miss for me.

WTF is TCB...

They've delayed the new ST series indefinitely Super bummed. It was going to launch this month.

I understand reluctance to track too many things to cancel, in this case I figure it won't be too hard, I should be able to cancel when I see it on my CC.

Everyone's experience is different, but I've had no trouble with TCB after my first couple of Staples purchases (which they fixed). Decent referral program too.

Sometimes eBates is better, sometimes TCB. It's nice to have a choice.

=aw

Silly question. When it says $3 MM what does MM mean

magicvash said:   Silly question. When it says $3 MM what does MM mean

This.

Most people (myself included) don't know what the alphabet soup of acronyms in this posting mean. The words need to be spelled out.

Money Maker.

=aw

kshell said:   I've got a HD Homerun Dual so I can record OTA programming. What does this deal do for me?
  How does this work?  Do you connect this to a hard drive?  Right now I just cut the cord and have an outdoor antenna for local channels but I need a good dvr and guide. 

canoeguy1 said:   Most people (myself included) don't know what the alphabet soup of acronyms in this posting mean. The words need to be spelled out.https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/457553#acronymlist

TCB needs to be added!

socalspartan said:   
  How does this work?  Do you connect this to a hard drive?  Right now I just cut the cord and have an outdoor antenna for local channels but I need a good dvr and guide. 

You need a computer with a hard drive for storing the videos. This link illustrates one process. 

sounds like a decent deal to me - especially since I could pair this with my PLAYLATER sub and catch up on everything and anything I can! man my ISP is gonna hate me!!!!

I just found this in the event anyone is interested -
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/26/google-will-offer-two-fr...
​promo ends feb 6 according to the article, so I'm trying to load my chromecast (now google home) app to see if it's still working

use promo code WINTER for additional month FREE!

kshell said:   
socalspartan said:   

You need a computer with a hard drive for storing the videos. This link illustrates one process. 

The best DVR in my opinion is Windows Media Center which was included with Windows 7. If you have this get an OTA card that goes in your computer, or the HD Homerun which connects to your network, and you can DVR all your local channels. Me, I get zero OTA because of a hill, so I have a cable card version of the HD Homerun, which I love. Remember MS took WMC out of Windows 10, so if you have that OS, it makes getting DVR function much more difficult.

TCB needs to be added!
I'm not so sure (though I don't have a strong opinion either way). I don't recall seeing it referred to as anything other than "TCB" except when someone asks (like upthread). The first time I even heard of the company was when MISTERCHEAP posted some deal (Kaspersky FAR maybe) and mentioned "4% at Staples with TCB". I googled it and found out what it was.

I assumed that we probably refer to it as "TCB" out of deference to eBates (FatWallet sister company) with which it competes. I certainly have not spelled it out. Same way we often refer to "saw this on SD", which competes directly with FatWallet. I appreciate that FW allows us to discuss competing programs here (it's in their interest too) and try not to step on their toes.

So I support not including TCB as a defined acronym (it's not hard to ask, or to google it). Same with SD. But I don't mean to imply my opinion counts for anything on this score. I just try not to provoke FW/eBates into making a case of it.

=aw

Cbs always has delusions of grandeur... and often use their Trek series as their carrot to get people to tune into new networks or in this case buy subscriptions to see what is (except for a couple shows) just the streaming version of their network channel... which most networks make available free online or through Hulu so you can get a lot of choices for your $6-8 a month.

I was all set to buy into all access just for the new star trek series... then they sued axanar... then discovery got delayed, lost its show runner, got delayed again and did some unnecessary recasting. then delayed some more. The limited teasers they have released look like 'fan film' stuff compared to the Axanar 'fan film stuff' they sued. Its looking like this may be the first trek series I don't watch first run... if it even gets that far. Its only going to be 13 episodes... when / if it sees the light of day.

lemonhead said:   I just found this in the event anyone is interested -
​promo ends feb 6 according to the article, so I'm trying to load my chromecast (now google home) app to see if it's still working

looking at the url, I think you are about one year too late 

Too much work for $3, plus gives CBS wrong message.

It is a great option for me.

I just want to watch The Good Fight (also ST but sounds like it might not happen).

=aw

radiation said:   
lemonhead said:   I just found this in the event anyone is interested -

looking at the url, I think you are about one year too late 

DOH! no wonder I couldn't find it on my app!!!!
​my bad - sorry!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017