posted 5 months ago by
ctgolfer
Star of the Week

It has been suggested that you can make use of your old Ringplus phones by purchasing a plan from Tello: https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans 

You have to choose a plan over $5 dollars so you can select 200 texts for $2 and 200 MB of data for $4. This is a little tricky, in small print Tello is offering unlimited data at a very slow speed if you buy any data package. It has been reported the slow speed will work with Google Voice. Therefore, you will be able to install Hangouts and use your old Ringplus phone to make unlimited calls for $6 per month.

To bring your phone over to Tello:
go to tello.com and hover over 'SHOP' in top header, then click on 'Bring Your Own Phone' and follow intructions from there.

Bandwidth Requirements for Hangouts: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/hangouts/AgWS5yox_Bc 

200 texts for $2 and 200 MB of data for $4. $6 per month

Unlimited texts and 200 MB of data for $7 per month

Tello Mobile 5% off your pay as you go plan CL6TMP
Tello Mobile 30% off your monthly plan C64FP5

The Tello sale on Data is set to end on February 12th

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking news: RingPlus customers get 50% OFF when they switch to Tello!
Your wish is our command! You asked for a greater discount and here it is: 50% OFF when you join Tello. Switch to Tello and use coupon code RINGPLUS50 when you place your order. The discount applies to any phone plan, for the first month and is valid until February 13.

And it gets even better
“What’s better than a 50% discount?”, you’d probably say. The easy porting process, the no contract and no fees whatsoever policy, the flexibility to Build Your Own Plan

How to port fromRingPlus to Tello, hassle free
You already made the right decision by switching to Tello, and just like everything else here, porting is easy.You don’t have to close your account at RingPlus in order to join Tello, but you need the porting out details:

• Click the phone number you want to port out, then Manage Device
    • Your PIN will be the 5 or 6 digit number listed as MSL

Once you’ve got your RingPlus account number, password, name & address (as they are listed on the phone bill), you’re ready to start. The great thing about this? Tello has no porting fee, so no worries here

• Create an account on tello.com 
    • Go to Bring your own phone section and enter your ESN/IMEI/MEID.
    • If your phone uses a CDMA SIM, the one from RingPlus works on Tello too, just enter the SIM number and click ‘Check’.

• Last porting step: enter your phone number.

If you don’t want to keep you old RingPlus number, you can just get a new one from Tello, and that will go smoother. The porting in process usually takes about 2 business days, but due to the high volume of port in requests, it may take longer than usual. Please be patient, we are working on making the process as fast as possible. In case you have any question, our Customer Support Team is ready to help you, 24/7. 

Glad to have you on board
Finally, you get to the fun part: choosing a phone plan tailored to your needs! Build your own plan by adding minutes, texts & unlimited data, nothing is pre-defined and there are no contracts! Hello, pure freedom & flexibility!!!We stand by our word: no fees whatsoever, no even when upgrading or downgrading your plans! The amounts you may see extra on our invoice are state taxes that apply to every product; they have nothing to do with service, maintenance or any other fee other carriers may charge and have nothing to do with Tello.Here is our pledge to you: we are here to stay and promise not to let you down! And we’re keeping pour promise, but don’t take our word for it, see what our customers think about us. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two other posts and more info referring to Ring+ here  and here 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information about service from Ting - (thanks mathfaster)

ABOUT YOUR SERVICE
Dear Members,

We have some good news for you. RingPlus has reached an agreement in principal with its carrier partner to allow us time to migrate you all to Ting during the next 1-2 weeks (we will let you know the exact dates soon).

Ting is welcoming all RingPlus Members. Ting will honor all Members' current RingPlus Top Up balances with a credit toward Ting service.

Each member will start with a $35 credit, regardless of whether they have any RingPlus Top Up balance!

Those members who have a RingPlus Top Up balance higher than $35 will get the first $35 applied in full. Afterwards, the remaining Top Up balance (over $35) will be disbursed in $5 credit increments each month until the Top Up is exhausted.

After the move to Ting, Members will not have active service until Ting has collected a credit card from the Member and the Member has agreed to Ting’s terms of service online.

We are welcoming Ting moderators to RingPlus Social to comment on this thread. Ting moderators will be identified with a Verified Shield, and the name “Ting” at the end of the username.

Ting will also honor this deal for Members that have already switched to Ting. But please be advised that port outs prior to the migration could be slow.

For ongoing updates on the current and upcoming Ting processes go to ringtoting.com.

Best regards,
RingPlus

125 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
interesting...thanks op. I'm going to check it out - after 2/11.

rated:
Great write-up ctgolfer.

I fail to understand why you don't get more recognition on FW for all you do.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Great write-up ctgolfer.

I second that... definitely a CTgolfer fan here...

rated:
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate that!! LOL to FW and you all!!

rated:
Thanks for the walk-thru from a total mobile ignoramus!

rated:
If I could only get Hangouts to receive calls on both of my phones. One rings, but other maybe does 10% of the time. and they are setup the exact same

rated:
Slightly off topic but, any recommendation for a good GSM prepaid cell provide. Need to migrate out of RingPlus and would love to go to a GSM provider

rated:
miteshm said:   Slightly off topic but, any recommendation for a good GSM prepaid cell provide. Need to migrate out of RingPlus and would love to go to a GSM provider
 https://www.mintsim.com/

rated:
How bad is 64 kbps for other data usage like using websites, email, or games? I basically just use my R+ phone for emergency + data (mostly Pokemon Go to be honest). If I switch to Tello maybe the 64 kbps is enough for that and I can do what the OP suggests.

rated:
miteshm said:   Slightly off topic but, any recommendation for a good GSM prepaid cell provide. Need to migrate out of RingPlus and would love to go to a GSM provider

http://www.goredpocket.com
http://www.tpo.com
http://www.speedtalkmobile.com

rated:
kji said:   
 https://www.mintsim.com/

Mint has very good plan but problem is that they will send the sim and then only you have to activate. you can't instantly use your your own sim card of ring plus and activate online and port in ring plus number.

rated:
  Most are talking about FreedomPop or the mintsim on the major Cell phone discussion forum out there.

rated:
A caveat about FreedomPop: I've not had much success in deleting an old account there online. I supposedly deleted it, but continue to keep getting dinged for the (only 99 cents/month) fee. Such a fee is just a nuisance, but a continuing one.

rated:
I spoke with Tello on the phone and customer service answered fast and seemed to be in America which is a nice change.

The Choose your own plans can be set up to run out so you don't have to worry about overages in a month.
Example - if your plan of 200min/Unlimited Text and you run out of talk time, it will not make more calls except 911. I'm sure more can be added if you would like, but it will not automatically charge for overages. If you run out of text messages on your plan, it will stop until next month or if you add pay as you go .
BUT - If you run out of data you will continue to get data buy only at 2g speeds (extremely slow) which may work for checking/sending email, but probably not for much else without WIFI.

I think this is a great program.  For kids a $6 plan of 100 min talk and unlimited texts would probably work well. They can still use wifi for anything they want to do online.
Sprint phones and some Boost Mobile phones will work with Tello.

rated:
Unfortunately, the only truly paygo is SpeedTalk.

rated:
No fees whatsoever,,they say on Tellos website,,,that just tried to charge 14% me on prepaid plan....bye !!

rated:
trumpotron said:   No fees whatsoever,,they say on Tellos website,,,that just tried to charge 14% me on prepaid plan....bye !!
  Those are called taxes, have you bought anything before?

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   If I could only get Hangouts to receive calls on both of my phones. One rings, but other maybe does 10% of the time. and they are setup the exact same
Same here. One of the phones will ring. Even when that one is off, I'm using home wifi, etc., the other will often not ring for incoming calls. This is significant if you're using multiple phones and considering Hangouts exclusively. It was a compelling benefit for me with Ringplus that my phone actually rang for incoming calls, I wasn't relying on Hangouts.

rated:
rls3 said:   
MeIsCheap said:   If I could only get Hangouts to receive calls on both of my phones. One rings, but other maybe does 10% of the time. and they are setup the exact same
Same here. One of the phones will ring. Even when that one is off, I'm using home wifi, etc., the other will often not ring for incoming calls. This is significant if you're using multiple phones and considering using Hangouts for your incoming calls. It was a compelling benefit for me on Ringplus that my phone actually rang for incoming RP calls, and I wasn't always relying on Hangouts.

I don't have that issue.  My desktop and my mobile phone both ring when I get a google voice call.

rated:
shallot said:     I don't have that issue.  My desktop and my mobile phone both ring when I get a google voice call.
  The issue is with two phones, though.

rated:
  RedPocket on eBay has a sale going on for one year of service for $163.99.It includes 1000 min, 1000, text, and 500 MB data monthly. The activation kit has SIMs that will work with all 4 providers, so you can choose either ATT or T-Mo for GSM for $13.67 a month. RedPocket Plan 

Moderator Comment: Cleaned up the link — Feb. 4, 2017 @ 9:56pm
rated:
marcopolomle said:   Great write-up ctgolfer.

First of all, he has 90 of those Top Deal Cups/Awards or whatever they are called, which is second all-time on FW; so he does get recognition.
As for getting recognized, my opinion is that he does not have a catchy name. Not only that, he has further narrowed himself down by using his State and sports preference, which alienates some people.

Following on MCs success, there is someone else who shamelessly copied MISTER as part of his name, and started getting instant recognition.
And if you read between the lines of his posts, he is the one who puts CHEAP to shame.

ctgolfer is a class act.

rated:
shallot said:   Unfortunately, the only truly paygo is SpeedTalk.
  Actually, Tello has a pretty nice PAYGO plan. $5 minimum that never expires if you use it at least once every 6 months. Minutes are $0.03, texts $0.01 and data $0.02 a MB. link

rated:
are MMS included in Tello's texts allocation?

rated:
ctgolfer said:   It has been suggested that you can make use of your old Ringplus phones by purchasing a plan from Tello: https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans

You have to choose a plan over $5 dollars so you can select 200 texts for $2 and 200 MB of data for $4. This is a little tricky, in small print Tello is offering unlimited data at a very slow speed if you buy any data package. It has been reported the slow speed will work with Google Voice. Therefore, you will be able to install Hangouts and use your old Ringplus phone to make unlimited calls for $6 per month.

To bring your phone over to Tello:
go to tello.com and hover over 'SHOP' in top header, then click on 'Bring Your Own Phone' and follow intructions from there.

Bandwidth Requirements for Hangouts: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/hangouts/AgWS5yox_Bc

200 texts for $2 and 200 MB of data for $4. $6 per month

Unlimited texts and 200 MB of data for $7 per month

Tello Mobile 5% off your pay as you go plan CL6TMP
Tello Mobile 30% off your monthly plan C64FP5

The Tello sale on Data is set to end on February 12th

The only problem is that Google Hangouts needs a minimum of 300 kbps to work, and the throttle according to Tello is 64kbps, so unless they are more generous on throttle speeds, won't work. Has anyone actually gotten this to work? 

rated:
chubbypops said:   
  RedPocket on eBay has a sale going on for one year of service for $163.99.It includes 1000 min, 1000, text, and 500 MB data monthly. The activation kit has SIMs that will work with all 4 providers, so you can choose either ATT or T-Mo for GSM for $13.67 a month. RedPocket Plan

For a low volume users, Red Pocket, via eBay, has their "Essentials" plan marked down from 99.99 to 94.99 with 500 mins, 500 texts and 50 MB of data.  Also available for all 4 networks.

rated:
They also have nice reviews on TrustPilot. They are a good alternative.

Susan

rated:
anonguy said:   
shallot said:   Unfortunately, the only truly paygo is SpeedTalk.
  Actually, Tello has a pretty nice PAYGO plan. $5 minimum that never expires if you use it at least once every 6 months. Minutes are $0.03, texts $0.01 and data $0.02 a MB. link

Thanks, that may be just what I need.  I'm looking for a text-only setup to send remote data measurements for a project I'm working on a few times a day.  No voice needed.

rated:
Porting to Tello with paygo $10. Tax was $2.60. A yyyyuge 26% tax rate.

rated:
likethemcheap said:   Porting to Tello with paygo $10. Tax was $2.60. A yyyyuge 26% tax rate.
  You mean for port in number is $10 in Tello. How many days took it? How much is the cost dor port in in case of post paid?

rated:
Porting is free. I added $10 for paygo and the tax is $2.60. After CL6TMP 5% off the total is $12.10. It says up to 5 business days to complete.

I use the same phone using on ring+ now.  Porting in is required for active sim.

rated:
Susan85 said:   They also have nice reviews on TrustPilot. They are a good alternative.

Susan

By any chance you work for Tello, Susan?

rated:
Can someone give me the steps necessary to ensure a smooth transition from Ring+ to Tello? Specifically, how can I ensure that the phone I use on Ring+ right now will be available for Tello in a few days when I decide to switch? Do I need to swap devices on Ring+ to free up this phone? Please be specific. Thanks!

rated:
no.

rated:
ensure a smooth transition from Ring+????nothing is for sure with R+,,just cross your fingers...

rated:
shopper1973 said:   Can someone give me the steps necessary to ensure a smooth transition from Ring+ to Tello? Specifically, how can I ensure that the phone I use on Ring+ right now will be available for Tello in a few days when I decide to switch? Do I need to swap devices on Ring+ to free up this phone? Please be specific. Thanks!
Quick and painless port out to Tello 

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
shopper1973 said:   Can someone give me the steps necessary to ensure a smooth transition from Ring+ to Tello? Specifically, how can I ensure that the phone I use on Ring+ right now will be available for Tello in a few days when I decide to switch? Do I need to swap devices on Ring+ to free up this phone? Please be specific. Thanks!
Quick and painless port out to Tello

I think you posted different link..

rated:
Thanks ghoshdd for pointing out.
I have corrected the link.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017