John Legere says so... 

Thanks for the magenta! I mean green!

Views
21 Comments
Add Comment
Thanks OP.
Nice to see a 2-line option for the T-Mobile ONE plans.
 

If only their service was reliable in my area.

The service wasn't good in my area. They wanted me to get a signal booster. I went back to Verizon.

I wouldn't mind going to it if they could come up with 3 lines in this same price territory, I could even sacrifice some of that mobile hotspot (I never use it anyway, I pretty much never go anywhere that doesn't have wi-fi). Right now, I'm on an unlimited data plan for Simple Choice that was supposed to expire over a year ago and revert to 2GB, but hasn't so far. But I have two other lines on my plan that are just 2 GB.

Agreed.  I had to go to Verizon even in one of the biggest cities in the U.S. because I couldn't keep a call on the 10 miles to work with T-Mobile.  They can say their network is close in reliability to Verizon but that's crap.  I've dropped one call in 6 months with Verizon (might not have been on my end) and with T-Mobile I'd drop 1-2 calls a day.  

P.S. My testing was with the same phone.  I bought one that would work on T-Mobile and Verizon.  Same phone was solid on Verizon and crap on T-Mobile.  I also tested against Sprint which had terrible quality all the time and spotty coverage.  

A lot depends on your phone and location, as I switched to an iPhone 6S which has the extended network bands. That change really helped in many areas.

One thing I have noticed, as my wife has Verizon, is the slow down during peak hours. We live in a very busy tourist area and Verizon almost shuts down! But my T-Mobile will still be perfect. In speaking for data, not calling as we only really use data.

If T-Mobile works in your area that's a very nice deal.   Verizon is going to be $150 plus taxes and fees for the same service now without the international perks.    Also there are a lot of affordable phone options available for T-Mobile.   

Gotta love TMO.

They poke verizon, verizon pokes back with one bit that's better...so TMO trumps then again.

Those with coverage issues - get a new phone. You probably don't have all the bands that TMO has service on. My Note 7 (retired) and S7 on TMO have great coverage. I also cary a VZW phone for work (NYC) and service is easily equal between the two...not only at home but when I travel outside the city, Chicago, LA, DC, Boston, SF, Toronto, etc.

ciscoopa said:   Gotta love TMO.

They poke verizon, verizon pokes back with one bit that's better...so TMO trumps then again.

Those with coverage issues - get a new phone. You probably don't have all the bands that TMO has service on. My Note 7 (retired) and S7 on TMO have great coverage. I also cary a VZW phone for work (NYC) and service is easily equal between the two...not only at home but when I travel outside the city, Chicago, LA, DC, Boston, SF, Toronto, etc.

  
Or perhaps they're in one of the large sections of the country with little to ZERO coverage from Tea Mobile.

I'd have to travel (literally) 65+ miles in any direction to get coverage. Not gonna cut it. 

Your list of travels is major metro areas. So not surprising that Tea Mobile looks good to you. Come out to the Midwest and your phone will be a very expensive doorstop indeed.

For all of you having signal reliability issue, check your phone's LTE bands. TM's newer band 12 is rare among smartphones. Can't really blame TM's signal if you're not using the right phone. Also some phones support band 12 but no voice over LTE, which means you get data connection but can't make a call when you're on band 12.

I used to have signal issues in my office building. It made a huge difference after I got a phone that's fully compatible with all T-Mobile's bands.

In the meantime, AT&T is raising the price of my grandfathered Unlimited Plan... Time to switch to T-Mobile.

Tmo can increase the incentives all they want.. when are they going to stop having shit coverage in fl?

freejunkmail said:   For all of you having signal reliability issue, check your phone's LTE bands. TM's newer band 12 is rare among smartphones. Can't really blame TM's signal if you're not using the right phone. Also some phones support band 12 but no voice over LTE, which means you get data connection but can't make a call when you're on band 12.

I used to have signal issues in my office building. It made a huge difference after I got a phone that's fully compatible with all T-Mobile 's bands.

  
It really depends. Band 12 is not a magic panacea.

If there's no coverage, there's no coverage. Doesn't matter which band you prefer.

sdvboy said:   In the meantime, AT&T is raising the price of my grandfathered Unlimited Plan... Time to switch to T-Mobile
  I called the AT&T retention department and threatened to cancel & the guy cancelled me, no debates. They won't move and said if you want unlimited data, get directv or no go.

Been with Tmobile for over 12 years. They have always had the best service and pricing by far. Verizon was good if you lived in the boondocks, but pricing is just ridiculous.

I've had unlimited everything with TMO for a a few years now for $100/2 lines.

cpabster said:   
freejunkmail said:   For all of you having signal reliability issue, check your phone's LTE bands. TM's newer band 12 is rare among smartphones. Can't really blame TM's signal if you're not using the right phone. Also some phones support band 12 but no voice over LTE, which means you get data connection but can't make a call when you're on band 12.

I used to have signal issues in my office building. It made a huge difference after I got a phone that's fully compatible with all T-Mobile 's bands.

  
It really depends. Band 12 is not a magic panacea.

If there's no coverage, there's no coverage. Doesn't matter which band you prefer.

If you live in the wilderness, maybe.
But for most of us who live in major metro area, it's highly unlikely that there's just "no service". It's either the compatibility issue or TM really screwed up by missing a bunch of spots in highly populated areas. Both scenarios are possible, I guess. 

cpabster said:   
ciscoopa said:   Gotta love TMO.

They poke verizon, verizon pokes back with one bit that's better...so TMO trumps then again.

Those with coverage issues - get a new phone. You probably don't have all the bands that TMO has service on. My Note 7 (retired) and S7 on TMO have great coverage. I also cary a VZW phone for work (NYC) and service is easily equal between the two...not only at home but when I travel outside the city, Chicago, LA, DC, Boston, SF, Toronto, etc.

  
Or perhaps they're in one of the large sections of the country with little to ZERO coverage from Tea Mobile.

I'd have to travel (literally) 65+ miles in any direction to get coverage. Not gonna cut it. 

Your list of travels is major metro areas. So not surprising that Tea Mobile looks good to you. Come out to the Midwest and your phone will be a very expensive doorstop indeed.

  The large sections of the country without T-Mobile service are also sections with extremely few people.  T-Mobile covers about 95% of the US population with LTE (Verizon is around 98%).  

sdskees said:   I'm on an unlimited data plan for Simple Choice that was supposed to expire over a year ago and revert to 2GB, but hasn't so far. But I have two other lines on my plan that are just 2 GB.
  I'm grandfathered into Simple Choice and as I understand it did go away as a new plan last month or so. Too bad as it was just great for large family plans. Something like $50 first line,  $30 second line ($40/line), $20 third line on down to $10 for each additional line. And while not a TMO fanboi I've had nothing but great service, coverage and CSR relations with them for decades.

When I got a new Nexus 6 I called support and was walked through activation from a rep who knew the Nexus and gave me lots of tips Also gave me his support number for future reference. Then came a sudden Android/Nexus update that broke texting. Called TMO, rep researched and called/texted me back 2 days in a row until fixed. Good service. I just wish they'd stop using those silly hip stock photos in their ads. Nobody's that happy.

nod bad. thanks op

I've had both T-Mobile and Verizon recently here in the Boston area. T-Mobile's data coverage used to be faster and broader than Verizon within the metro area, though Verizon has improved in the past couple of years. Voice coverage for Verizon was mostly better within the metro area. Verizon's VoLTE was a joke for a while after it was released, so you couldn't practically use voice & cellular data at the same time. In the past year, this now works most of the time.

Of course, YMMV depending on where you use your phones.

Bottom line - competition is good.

Also, iPhone 6/6 Plus does not have LTE band 12, but 6s/6s Plus and 7/7 Plus have band 12.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017