posted 48 years ago by
amyninja52
Loyal Member

T-Mobile is offering the deal: Bring your own phone and get $150/line via prepaid MasterCardŽ card when you switch to T-Mobile ONE.

• Limited-time offer. Qualifying plan & eligible port-in req'd. Savings over AT&T and Verizon charges.
  • Device must be compatible with our network & capable of using a T-Mobile SIM card

Views
14 Comments
Add Comment
so this will be like prepaid, basically? no credit check, no contract?

alexnguyenseattle said:   so this will be like prepaid, basically? no credit check, no contract?

I believe that if you choose not get a credit check, you need to put down a deposit ($50 for 1st line, $30 for second, and $10 per additional), since technically T-mo ONE is a postpaid service. But yes, no contract.

Plus $20 for the SIM to switch. Last year, I switched to T-Mobile briefly before going overseas to use their free roaming data and they had a deal for a free SIM at that time. Anyway, that effectively reduces the $150 bonus to $130.

Still, $70/mon is way too rich for my blood, given my phone usage. It's disappointing that T-Mobile has gone in the direction of more and more expensive plans. You can't even get the $50 "Simple Choice" plan anymore.

This is FW, $70-$80 a month for Cell service is too too much.

I like ahallfatwallett's idea though; if you're heading overseas this is good. Or this is a cheap way to get a couple months of free cell service.

golgo1313 said:   
alexnguyenseattle said:   so this will be like prepaid, basically? no credit check, no contract?

I believe that if you choose not get a credit check, you need to put down a deposit ($50 for 1st line, $30 for second, and $10 per additional), since technically T-mo ONE is a postpaid service. But yes, no contract.

I called them to confirm and above answer is right,, but another caveat is you can't enroll in Auto pay which will  reduce the discount, I can'd understand whats the relation between credit check and auto pay..

I have to laugh because I was just on the phone with T-Mobile today.  I had paid off my phone early because I was tired of not knowing the true cost of my bill.  They guy congratulated me on being able to do that.  What a world we live in when paying off $300 is a huge accomplishment.  

Stubtify said:   This is FW, $70-$80 a month for Cell service is too too much.

I like ahallfatwallett's idea though; if you're heading overseas this is good. Or this is a cheap way to get a couple months of free cell service.

I was surprised that they pro-rated the final month, too after I canceled, after I got home!  I was expecting to have to pay for a full month of T-Mobile service.  (May have sent me a prepaid Visa card for the remaining balance refund for that month, can't remember.)

Could be a good deal for big families. The total price for 8 lines is $240. = $30 per month per line, which seems decent. Of course the standard disclaimer being IF you have good T-Mobile coverage where you live.

As tempted as I am to try this out, I prefer a cheap pay as you go plan (Ring plus, > Transferred to Tello) .  To ensure people can call me, then I use Google Voice*** for most of my calls, which works 'fair enough' most of the time. I can always call with Tello and pay 3 cents per minute if my connection with Google isn't acceptable.   

*** As a bonus, I spent several hours searching numbers before choosing my Google Voice Number.   Number is ridiculously perfect for me.  If I cancelled the line tomorrow, (I won't though) I guarantee I would still remember the number in 10-20 years.  If Google ever discontinues, or starts charging an unreasonable price, I'll have to pay to port out.

**** By the way,  I logged into Google Voice on a another Gmail account out of curiosity.  Seems they did away with the ability to 'search' for number combinations.  Only options were area code or city, state.  That was an incredible feature, at least they still give you some options to choose from though.

cyfan said:   I have to laugh because I was just on the phone with T-Mobile today.  I had paid off my phone early because I was tired of not knowing the true cost of my bill.  They guy congratulated me on being able to do that.  What a world we live in when paying off $300 is a huge accomplishment.  

living under a rock, huh?

OP - I can't find a BYOD offer. There is a $150/line offer for PORTING in a number, but there is no requirement to bring your own device or buy a new one from TMo. I was hoping these two offers might stack, which is why I was looking for the BYOD offer you are referring to.

If I am already on TMO, the porting offer or BYOD does not apply.
Was thinking if we switch out to say Mint Sim (4 lines), then add another 6.
Now port all 10 in to TMO, getting 150x10 = $1500 less costs of keeping 6 extra, cost of porting.
Atleast can net 1K.

Don't forget the $10 rebate if you don't use 2 GB of data - for grandparents and what not on a family plan, gets real cheap..

Shot, is this deal over already? 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017