posted 48 years ago by
forbin4040
Senior Member - 10K

DirecTV Now isn't the greatest service...yet

But if you need a firestick ($39) and want to try Direct TV ($35)
https://directvnow.com/firestick

That's the Promotion going on now.

Views
62 Comments
Add Comment
Great deal!

in for one, hell, you cant even get one on Amazon at regular price anyways right now (backordered until 3/2) this one might actually show up before then and for cheaper, just dont forget to cancel.

nice, thanks op in for 1.

I like direct TV now. Haven't had any issues with the stream. Had sling before and it suffered (buffering,not loading) from more issues than Direct TvNow. Just wish they would get a XBOX one app. I guess this means the offer of 3 months prepaid for an apple TV is over.

Its really a great finds in online. Thanks OP! for finds a great deals.

whydoihavetoregister said:   I like direct TV now. Haven't had any issues with the stream. Had sling before and it suffered (buffering,not loading) from more issues than Direct TvNow. Just wish they would get a XBOX one app. I guess this means the offer of 3 months prepaid for an apple TV is over.

https://directvnow.com/appletv

The promotion for free apple tv is still there.

socalspartan said:   
whydoihavetoregister said:   I like direct TV now. Haven't had any issues with the stream. Had sling before and it suffered (buffering,not loading) from more issues than Direct TvNow. Just wish they would get a XBOX one app. I guess this means the offer of 3 months prepaid for an apple TV is over.

Yup the '$70 for $35' is expired but the apple tv is free.

rvd03 said:   in for one, hell, you cant even get one on Amazon at regular price anyways right now (backordered until 3/2) this one might actually show up before then and for cheaper, just dont forget to cancel.
  Get a CitiBank MasterCard - you can generate a 1 time only unique credit card number - Virtual Credit Card Number - of which you can limit the maximum dollar amount (date, too).  I generated a CC number with a maximum authorization of $40 which expires March 2017.  That way, if I forget to cancel (happens all the time), nothing else can be charged to my card.

Oh, and thanks OP - green to you!

Topcashback is giving $36.48 cash back for DIRECTV Now today. Makes this a moneymaker deal

In for one, better than others store.

Nice direct tv,thanks op.

lilichka523 said:   Topcashback is giving $36.48 cash back for DIRECTV Now today. Makes this a moneymaker deal
  True, but I don't think you can get the firestick then.

nice finds. thanks.

Good promo. Please note, by default a $50 plan gets picked up. Unless you want that, downgrade to the lowest one to get the $35 plan.

not bad

So if you have say...three televisions you need three plans and three firesticks....
then you are back to what I pay for Direct TV with a Sat....without the ability to record a program.
Or not???

belgique said:   So if you have say...three televisions you need three plans and three firesticks....
then you are back to what I pay for Direct TV with a Sat....without the ability to record a program.
Or not???

Not exactly.

For 3 TV's you would need 3 Firesticks.
DirectTV Now allows 2 streams at a time per plan so you would only be able to use 2 of the TV's at a time.
There is no DVR at the moment.

forbin4040 said:   
lilichka523 said:   Topcashback is giving $36.48 cash back for DIRECTV Now today. Makes this a moneymaker deal

I ordered last night and received the confirmation email from Directv that they are shipping a Fire stick AND I received the email from TopCashBack for a transaction notification for Directv.

TopCashBack is down to $32 now. 

rvd03 said:   in for one, hell, you cant even get one on Amazon at regular price anyways right now (backordered until 3/2) this one might actually show up before then and for cheaper, just dont forget to cancel.

I don't know how quickly it's going to show up unfortunately. I ordered last night and the confirmation email said:

"Now that you’ve prepaid, your included AmazonFire is on its way and should be in your hands within the next 2-3 weeks. You’ll get an email update once it’s officially out the door..."

forbin4040 said:   
socalspartan said:   

Yup the '$70 for $35' is expired but the apple tv is free.

Not sure DTVNow is worth $70/month, but I am hanging on at $35/month.  I think the Stick is painful to use, The only thing I do not like about the ATV is the remote and it's touch pad.

Direct TV Now is just awful right now. I have never had problems streaming anything, but I have video freezing and buffering issues with live content, there is no DVR yet, and what content you can time delay (hbo, cinimax) has major playback problems. I would not recommend the service for anything more than to try it out or get a free fire stick. Apple tv 4 is pretty bad and the integration with DTV Now was not implemented well.

meade18 said:   
forbin4040 said:   

I ordered last night and received the confirmation email from Directv that they are shipping a Fire stick AND I received the email from TopCashBack for a transaction notification for Directv.

How did you get both? The links from TCB don't go to the firestick home page. Did you click through, then manually change the link to the firestick one? 

I'd try this if TCB is basically paying for the first month and I get to keep the FireStick...

Seems strange to have such differences in experience. I'm fine with mine, got the 3mo grandfather and flipped the ATV. Streaming is solid 90% of the time, so many variables hard to say why others are sad. I had trouble with two streams but that is the old Firestick on 20Mbps DSL. I was expecting a DVR and Roku app by now. I use FTV2 piped through my Xbox Slim on a 4K tv since xbox apps suck. I'll probably keep my satellite, with big freeview this weekend. I just can't handle no time shifting with commercial skip on the Directv Now.

I was planing on using my Roku to watch DirecTV Now, but they do not have a Roku channel.
The following are compatible and not compatible devices.

Compatible Devices
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV Stick
•Apple TV (4th generation)
•AndroidTM phone 4.4 and higher
•Android tablet 4.4 and higher
•Chromecast (for Android only)
•iPad iOS 9 and higher
•iPhone iOS 9 and higher
•iPod Touch version 9 and higher

Compatible Browsers
•Internet Explorer 11+ for Windows 8 or higher
•Chrome 50+
•Safari 8+

Note: You will be prompted to download the Silverlight plug-in when you first stream using a web browser. If you experience issues while streaming with the Safari browser, we recommend using Chrome to stream DIRECTV NOW. Disabling browser add-ons may also improve your video playback.

Not Yet Available
•Chromecast (for Apple iOS)
•Roku
•XBOX One

pitflyer said:   
meade18 said:   
forbin4040 said:   

How did you get both? The links from TCB don't go to the firestick home page. Did you click through, then manually change the link to the firestick one? 

I'd try this if TCB is basically paying for the first month and I get to keep the FireStick...

Click through top cash back link. it assumes you are there for a 7 day free trial. it takes you to a page where you have to set up your account (just your email and create a password). i did it once with a fake email to confirm it worked and went back and did it with my real email address once i knew i was good to go. once you give them that info, it takes you to the page where you select your plan, still assuming you are getting the 7 day free trial. i lowered it from the default plan to the cheapest plan ($35/mo). then the next page offers you the appletv or the fire stick IF you pre-pay for 3 months or a month of service, respectively. that is where i chose the 1 month prepay and got the fire stick. no need to go through a special link. they will offer it to you. gave my address, paid the $35 and got both (top cash back AND directv fire stick) confirmation emails.

With the 2-3week timeframe for delivery of your Firestick from DTV it looks like you will not have your firestick any faster than Amazons expected delivery date!

meade18 said:   Click through top cash back link. it assumes you are there for a 7 day free trial. it takes you to a page where you have to set up your account (just your email and create a password). i did it once with a fake email to confirm it worked and went back and did it with my real email address once i knew i was good to go. once you give them that info, it takes you to the page where you select your plan, still assuming you are getting the 7 day free trial. i lowered it from the default plan to the cheapest plan ($35/mo). then the next page offers you the appletv or the fire stick IF you pre-pay for 3 months or a month of service, respectively. that is where i chose the 1 month prepay and got the fire stick. no need to go through a special link. they will offer it to you. gave my address, paid the $35 and got both (top cash back AND directv fire stick) confirmation emails.
  This worked perfectly for me. Thanks.

busnut said:   
  Get a CitiBank MasterCard - you can generate a 1 time only unique credit card number - Virtual Credit Card Number - of which you can limit the maximum dollar amount (date, too).  I generated a CC number with a maximum authorization of $40 which expires March 2017.  That way, if I forget to cancel (happens all the time), nothing else can be charged to my card.

I hope you created a totally fake account, If you gave them your name and address they will start dunning you at home and turn you over to collections. It's not worth it to risk your credit on something like this.

rcglfr said:   
  With the 2-3week timeframe for delivery of your Firestick from DTV it looks like you will not have your firestick any faster than Amazons expected delivery date!

I placed my order for DTVNow on Monday and my firestick showed up today.

Same day pickup of the Fire TV stick and Apple TV deals also available at AT&T corporate stores if don't want to wait for your device to arrive by mail.

neevakee6 said:   
rcglfr said:   

I placed my order for DTVNow on Monday and my firestick showed up today.

Nice! Did you get an email from Directv saying that they had shipped your Fire Stick? They said they would email me when it shipped and gave a 2-3 week time frame (in my original confirmation email on Tuesdsay) and I haven't heard anything since.

Jayron said:   Same day pickup of the Fire TV stick and Apple TV deals also available at AT&T corporate stores if don't want to wait for your device to arrive by mail.
  last time I tried that but they told me they had it in stock, and whoops, sorry, we don't have any in stock.

Just got the email that mine was shipped and should get here on the 23rd

meade18 said:   
pitflyer said:   
meade18 said:   
forbin4040 said:   

Click through top cash back link. it assumes you are there for a 7 day free trial. it takes you to a page where you have to set up your account (just your email and create a password). i did it once with a fake email to confirm it worked and went back and did it with my real email address once i knew i was good to go. once you give them that info, it takes you to the page where you select your plan, still assuming you are getting the 7 day free trial. i lowered it from the default plan to the cheapest plan ($35/mo). then the next page offers you the appletv or the fire stick IF you pre-pay for 3 months or a month of service, respectively. that is where i chose the 1 month prepay and got the fire stick. no need to go through a special link. they will offer it to you. gave my address, paid the $35 and got both (top cash back AND directv fire stick) confirmation emails.

this process partially worked for me - mostly my own doing as DirectTV website didnt like my browsers - the instructions were spot on though and thanks for taking the pains to detail them out.

added a reminder to cancel the service in the next 7 days keeping my fingers crossed for the cash back from TCB 

linuspb said:   
busnut said:   

I hope you created a totally fake account, If you gave them your name and address they will start dunning you at home and turn you over to collections. It's not worth it to risk your credit on something like this.

This is true. 

I loved DirecTV's equipment, but after years of getting error-filled bills at least every three or four months, with the errors always overcharges (which DTV CSRs eventually admitted and fixed), I got fed up with spending so much time on the phone calling their customer service, and after 9 years of paying every bill on time, I got the run-around from their retention department when I tried to get a fair rate, but call after call they kept offering my garbage like 3 months of free Starz, so I finally cancelled. A week later, I get a call from a DTV vice president (not just a manager, she actually stated she was a VP) who had somehow monitored my various calls (I think she may have actually listened to the recordings), and she said "I see that you made a point about paying every one of our bills on time yet you're being charged more than double the rate of a new customer who might default after his first bill and you thought a loyal, valuable customer should be treated better.  You are absolutely right, and if you come back to DirecTV, I'll give you the new subscriber rate for two full years, guaranteed."  While it was a nice gesture, it was too late, as I had already replaced all my DirecTV stuff with Dish (bills were fine, equipment was poorly designed and unreliable).  The VP promised to put a permanent notation on my file that I was to get new subscriber rates if I ever came back.

When I cancelled, I was told they would send me pre-paid shipping boxes to send back my DVRs and they asked me for an address confirmation.  They gave me my old address where I had not lived for six years, and I had them delete that address from the system and made sure that my current address, which they had in the system, was the shipping address.  I never got anything, forgot about it until I started getting dunning calls about five weeks later.  I called up DTV, got treated quite rudely by the accounts receivable person who chastised me for not sending back my DVRs in the imaginary prepaid boxes I never received.  I asked to which address they sent the boxes and the woman haughtily told me they sent them to the correct address on file, my old address.  Again, I told her to delete that address from their system and send me the boxes to the same address where I had been living the last six years, where they sent my bills.

​A month later, I start getting more dunning calls.  The morons had sent a second pair of boxes to my old address yet again.  Unbelievable.  Finally, something like three months after I cancelled, I got the prepaid boxes and the "You owe DirecTV $753" calls stopped.

​Well, I didn't like Dish's equipment and they eventually jacked up my rates to more than double, too, so I started shopping around for alternatives when my contract ended.  I called DTV mostly to see if the VP kept her promise about the notation of new subscriber rates for two years.  The DTV sales guy immediately wanted my SSN to run a credit check.  I said no, just confirm for me that what the DTV VP promised she had carried out.  He refused and I asked him "OK, just give me your best rate."  He refused to do that and said "Sir, I will need to run a credit check on you before I can give you your quote" which is a preposterous lie - I told him to assume I would qualify for the best rate and to give that to me.  He refused.  I demanded to speak to a manager, who, when I spoke to her, tried to get my SSN.  I said no, I refuse to allow you to run a credit check on me - just confirm that the notation on my record about best rates for two years is still on my file.  She denied there was any such notation and I told her to give me your best price.  The manager then said she needed my address to enter into the system to give me a quote.  I gave her my address, then she told me she had just run a soft pull on my credit record (after I expressly forbade her from running any credit checks), and then she began some monstrous lies.  She told me first, that the rate she was going to give me was only valid during that call and then it would go up if I didn't accept immediately.  Next, she told me that by running the soft pull on my credit record, she had weakened my credit score.  Finally, she told me that the [unauthorized] credit check she had run had weakened my credit score so much that if I called back tomorrow, I would no longer be qualified to receive the rate she had given me and I would have to pay more in the future ?!?

Needless to say I will never do business with DirecTV again.

PSA - DirecTv (and DIRECTV NOW) Freeview PREMIER Package (All Premium Channels) Live Now!
FEB 17-20 This freeview would include ALL the premium channels at once such as (HBO, Cinemax, Show Time, The Movie Channel & Encore)

I'm getting Starz and HBO on my Firestick over DIRECTV NOW app. Maybe more to come!

I was able to use TopCashBack to get $32 pending on my $35+tax prepaid purchase at DIRECTV NOW. Which is good because the service *sucks*. It only works on one of my devices, sometimes, and often freezes. In the end if I get a mostly free FireStick out of having to put up DIRECTV NOW, I will be good. But otherwise, I can't recommend this service, because even on devices where it works it freezes and crashes often, and a lot of other devices (rooted/jailbroken devices, or even non rooted devices that have an unlocked bootloader it seems) it just won't work at all.

Any of these services are going to have "issues" with rooted or jailbroken devices. The content owners don't like that, for obvious reasons. DTV Now is hardly alone in this respect.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017