posted 1 month ago by
burgerwars
just a salad for me

I saw these on sale an hour ago at Target in Granada Hills. CA.  They've been gradually going down in price.  Now $2.98.  They come with two AA Energizer lithium batteries.  Buying the batteries alone at Target costs $8.99 for a four-pack.  If you just need batteries, buy the phone, take the batteries out, and use the phone as a doorstop.

48 Comments
Add Comment
More deals in the official Target clearance thread.
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Mar. 27, 2017 @ 2:08pm
rated:
Just confirmed the deal title. The smallest bag of dirt costs $4.29.

rated:
UkeDoggie said:   Just confirmed the deal title. The smallest bag of dirt costs $4.29.

But it's high-class Targét dirt, not that cheap generic dirt that only makes one dinner.

rated:
DPCI 080-02-0400. Originally $49.99. Can I use this on R+ or FreedomPop? Can this phone be unlocked? J/K.

rated:
Thanks, actually picked up 4 for $1.50 each.

rated:
burgerwars said:   I saw these on sale an hour ago at Target in Granada Hills. CA.  They've been gradually going down in price.  Now $2.98.  They come with two AA Energizer lithium batteries.  Buying the batteries alone at Target costs $8.99 for a four-pack.  If you just need batteries, buy the phone, take the batteries out, and use the phone as a doorstop.

can these be left in the car as an emergency 911 phone w/o paying service??

rated:
mathfaster said:   DPCI 080-02-0400. 
  thx. best Inventory checker?

rated:

rated:
They work with 911 right out of the box without activating. I think that's an FCC regulation. They come with long life lithium batteries. If you leave it off in the car for emergency use, the batteries should last for years, although long hot summers batteries don't like.

The SpareOne phone has no display. You're looking right at the batteries. It has some indicator lights, a flashlight, a siren, and audibly says a few things, like the number you tried to dial. It takes a micro-sim. I haven't activated or put an activated AT&T sim in the two phones I bought.

It's probably locked to the AT&T network. Since it's so cheap and lacks a display, I wouldn't bother researching how to unlock it. Any unlock code would probably cost more than the phone.

rated:
vickh said:   
burgerwars said:   I saw these on sale an hour ago at Target in Granada Hills. CA.  They've been gradually going down in price.  Now $2.98.  They come with two AA Energizer lithium batteries.  Buying the batteries alone at Target costs $8.99 for a four-pack.  If you just need batteries, buy the phone, take the batteries out, and use the phone as a doorstop.

can these be left in the car as an emergency 911 phone w/o paying service??

ANY phone can be used as an emergency 911 phone w/o paying for service.

rated:
DrKlahn said:   
UkeDoggie said:   Just confirmed the deal title. The smallest bag of dirt costs $4.29.

But it's high-class Targét dirt, not that cheap generic dirt that only makes one dinner.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Earthgro-Fill-Dirt-40-lb-Top-Soil/50279...

Brand name dirt - dirt cheap. 

rated:
Target is good for Dirt ..

rated:
burgerwars said:   Since it's so cheap and lacks a display, I wouldn't bother researching how to unlock it. Any unlock code would probably cost more than the phone.

It should unlock for FREE like any other AT&T phone link and select NO

rated:
You'll probably be out of luck trying to ask AT&T for an unlock code for a prepaid phone you never activated:

Prepaid / GoPhone accounts
Your device must have been active for at least 6 months of paid service.

rated:
Nice share, just got 2,really cheaper than I bought before.

rated:
burgerwars said:   You'll probably be out of luck trying to ask AT&T for an unlock code for a prepaid phone you never activated:

I guess they forgot about that on the last 100 codes they gave me on GoPhones that had never been out of the box. Go back and actually read the page.

rated:
chubbypops said:   
burgerwars said:   You'll probably be out of luck trying to ask AT&T for an unlock code for a prepaid phone you never activated:

I guess they forgot about that on the last 100 codes they gave me on GoPhones that had never been out of the box. Go back and actually read the page.

read what page? when was the last time u got free unlock codes from them without using 6 months of paid service?

rated:
microkelvin said:   
chubbypops said:   

read what page? when was the last time u got free unlock codes from them without using 6 months of paid service?

This page , and just last week. Just answer "No" to the first question.

rated:
trumpotron said:   Target is good for Dirt ..
  and little else.

rated:
chubbypops said:   
microkelvin said:   
chubbypops said:   

This page , and just last week. Just answer "No" to the first question.

yes. i did that "No" thing and got my codes last year. But did not work recently. 

rated:
I would be very surprised if this phone's IMEI is in their database. I have tried flip phones that were in ATT GoPhone boxes and had ATT marked on them and they weren't recognized in the unlock database.

rated:
microkelvin said:   
chubbypops said:   
microkelvin said:   
chubbypops said:   

This page , and just last week. Just answer "No" to the first question.

yes. i did that "No" thing and got my codes last year. But did not work recently. 

It worked last week. That six month rule has been on there forever. Still works.

rated:
Good job, In for 4 with $12.

rated:
Thanks op

rated:
Thanks, needed some batteries for the house.

rated:
  Miracle grow? Ha, that's not dirt. That's chemicals.

rated:
psxzombie said:   
burgerwars said:   Since it's so cheap and lacks a display, I wouldn't bother researching how to unlock it. Any unlock code would probably cost more than the phone.
  It should unlock for FREE like any other AT&T phone link and select NO

I am an AT&T customer, so I can request some unlock codes checking Yes, but I'm trying it your way.  For the SpareOne phones, I got this message when entering the IMEI:

"The IMEI you entered does not appear to be an AT&T Wireless phone or tablet. Please re-enter the correct 15-digit IMEI number for your AT&T Wireless phone or tablet. You can obtain the IMEI number from the wireless phone by dialing *#06#. "

I've put the IMEI number in correctly a few times and the same message.  I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  Not worth it.  When you have an unlock code, the procedure is to put a SIM for another company in, then type in the unlock code.  Since this phone has no display, I'm guessing you'll hear an audible command to type in the number.  Anyway, if others want to call the CEO's office for a $3 phone, be my guest, but I have more important things to do.

After this phone, tried the same "answer No" method on an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Express 3 I bought at Target for $20 a week ago.  I went through the process and clicked through the confirmation link in my email.  I now see this message:

"We’re reviewing your unlock request now. Please allow two business days for processing.
We’ll email you soon with a decision on your request."

Hopefully it works for that phone.  If the "No" method always works, and all of a sudden a stampede of people do this and sell these unlocked phones on eBay, maybe AT&T will put a stop to it. Stuff like this doesn't last.

rated:
Which version of Android is it on?  Does AT&T update their phones?  E.g. will it eventually get Nougat?

rated:
fatxman said:   Which version of Android is it on?
  The Galaxy Express 3 is 6.0.  It's main downfall is only 8 gb of RAM.  With the bloatware already installed, there's not much room for other apps.  You can stick in a microSD, but that's just for stuff like pictures and documents.  Apps can't run off the microSD. 

I haven't activated the phone.  I've only tested and updated the apps over WiFi.  AT&T probably won't be updating this phone (just my guess).  They have updated my LG G4, which is activated.

rated:

rated:
burgerwars said:   
psxzombie said:   

I am an AT&T customer, so I can request some unlock codes checking Yes, but I'm trying it your way.  For the SpareOne phones, I got this message when entering the IMEI:

"The IMEI you entered does not appear to be an AT&T Wireless phone or tablet. Please re-enter the correct 15-digit IMEI number for your AT&T Wireless phone or tablet. You can obtain the IMEI number from the wireless phone by dialing *#06#. "

I've put the IMEI number in correctly a few times and the same message.  I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  Not worth it.  When you have an unlock code, the procedure is to put a SIM for another company in, then type in the unlock code.  Since this phone has no display, I'm guessing you'll hear an audible command to type in the number.  Anyway, if others want to call the CEO's office for a $3 phone, be my guest, but I have more important things to do.

After this phone, tried the same "answer No" method on an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Express 3 I bought at Target for $20 a week ago.  I went through the process and clicked through the confirmation link in my email.  I now see this message:

"We’re reviewing your unlock request now. Please allow two business days for processing.

Hopefully it works for that phone.  If the "No" method always works, and all of a sudden a stampede of people do this and sell these unlocked phones on eBay, maybe AT&T will put a stop to it. Stuff like this doesn't last.

It has been working for a couple of years, and has been openly discussed on deal sites the whole time. They recently revised their terms for unlocking and limited everyone to 100 requests a month. Tightening things up a bit . If you turned that Samsung phone on with the ATT SIM in it, it might not go through. It has to be done before it is ever seen by their system or on their network. At that point, the 6 month rule goes into effect. It is also very possible that the SpareOne phone is not even locked. Stick a T-Mo SIM in it and see.

rated:
There were 2G and 3G versions of this phone sold. The best I can tell, this is the 3G version. The 2G version is pretty much useless on ATT now. T-Mo is continuing 2G service until 2020. It seems that they are also sold unlocked. The one major downfall seems to be that the emergency call button is programmed to dial 112 instead of 911, with no obvious way to reprogram it. 112 is used in Europe for emergencies. It seems that ATT will forward 112 calls to 911 in the US, but T-MO doesn't.

rated:
No SD slot, pass.

rated:
I'm just here for the comments

rated:
drollo said:   I'm just here for the comments
  Way to go, man!

rated:
DrKlahn said:   

dirt that comes in bag should be called soil, with the exception of Scotts Miracle Grow, that truely is dirt (maybe even closer to trash)

rated:
nothing richer than to be corrected on a joke!

rated:
chubbypops said:   
burgerwars said:   
psxzombie said:   

It has been working for a couple of years, and has been openly discussed on deal sites the whole time. They recently revised their terms for unlocking and limited everyone to 100 requests a month. Tightening things up a bit . If you turned that Samsung phone on with the ATT SIM in it, it might not go through. It has to be done before it is ever seen by their system or on their network. At that point, the 6 month rule goes into effect. It is also very possible that the SpareOne phone is not even locked. Stick a T-Mo SIM in it and see.

No reply yet from AT&T for the unlock code on the Samsung.  I did turn it on a few times to set it up (the SIM was already in the phone), but didn't sign up for any prepaid plan.

rated:
Good! Thanks OP!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017