posted 48 years ago by
mrNorway

Just found today that Apple is "fixing" all 6 Plus phones affected by touch screen issues (37% of all 6 Plus repairs are rumored to be related to that) for $149 + tax. The reality is that they just gave me "a brand new" 6 Plus as a replacement. They had boxes ready to go with 6 Plus phones, called it a "replacement program". My original phone was working fine once you press the corners of the screen. Then it worked fine for a day, or two, or a week - who knows. The guy didn't really care as soon as he saw 6 Plus and I mentioned pushing the corners from time to time. New phone has 90 days warranty as I understand. The lady next to me had iPhone 6, not Plus, with exactly the same issue and they were actually telling her that the touch sensor has crappy design on 6 models, $129 screen replacement may not work and her best bet is to replace the phone for $299. 
Just for the record, I've got my phone at Groupon, scratched refurb, had it opened before, but nobody really cared.

Also, if you ever fixed your 6 Plus for this issue for more than $149 Apple will refund the difference.
Here is the official link 
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/ 
Looks like it is their answer to "touch disease" and all the lawsuits 
https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/234661-the-iphone-6s-touch-disease-is-spreading-now-the-largest-problem-reported-to-apple-stores 

Views
37 Comments
Add Comment
mrNorway said:   Just found today that Apple is "fixing" all 6 Plus phones affected by touch screen issues (37% of all 6 Plus repairs are rumored to be related to that) for $149 + tax. The reality is that they just gave me "a brand new" 6 Plus as a replacement. They had boxes ready to go with 6 Plus phones, called it a "replacement program". My original phone was working fine once you press the corners of the screen. Then it worked fine for a day, or two, or a week - who knows. The guy didn't really care as soon as he saw 6 Plus and I mentioned pushing the corners from time to time. New phone has 90 days warranty as I understand. The lady next to me had iPhone 6, not Plus, with exactly the same issue and they were actually telling her that the touch sensor has crappy design on 6 models, $129 screen replacement may not work and her best bet is to replace the phone for $299. 
If you ever fixed your 6 Plus for this issue for more than $149 Apple will refund the difference.
Here is the official link 
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/ 
Looks like it is their answer to "touch disease" and all the lawsuits 
https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/234661-the-iphone-6s-touch-disease-is-spreading-now-the-largest-problem-reported-to-apple-stores

can i exchange my iphone 6 plus with a cracked screen?

LOL....between BF and Christmas, I had to go to Apple Store to have them take a look at it for the same issue and both time they claim nothing was wrong. So I finally trade it in to T-Mobile for the promo to get ip7 and now this. My plan was to hold on to the 6 plus for another year to get IP8 this year and guess I am out of luck.

microkelvin said:   

From the link above:
If your iPhone 6 Plus is exhibiting the symptoms noted above, is in working order, and the screen is not cracked or broken, Apple will repair your device for a service price of $149.

My 6+ stops responding to touch sometimes but can be fixed by hitting the on/off button twice. Is this the same issue? Not sure it's worth $150 to fix.

Wow...what a deal...so they admit to a design flaw that affects a very large percent of phones and pass the pricing for the fix on to consumers.
Only Apple could pull this off (Imagine auto manufacturers trying this). I smell a class action lawsuit here.
Eff Apple!

DjScibbity said:   Wow...what a deal...so they admit to a design flaw that affects a very large percent of phones and pass the pricing for the fix on to consumers.
Only Apple could pull this off (Imagine auto manufacturers trying this). I smell a class action lawsuit here.
Eff Apple!

"Because our 2016 Corolla has issues with the starter not working from time to time, bring it in, and for $4000, you can have an entirely new 2016 Corolla from front to back with its odometer at 000000."

I think I'd take that offer.

Also: Cars are more repairable / depreciate quicker.

Another..."You are not holding it right"....how do they get away with this?

forecheck said:   
microkelvin said:   

From the link above:
If your iPhone 6 Plus is exhibiting the symptoms noted above, is in working order, and the screen is not cracked or broken, Apple will repair your device for a service price of $149.

thanks for replying.

is there any pop up alert so i know when someone replied or quoted me? sometimes, people replied or quoted me but noway i can keep track of.

Apple pretty slow to respond to a known issue.. I sold my 6+ and got a 7+ because of the touch screen problem.. at the time, there was no repair offered and no acknowledgment from Apple that is was a known problem... This is Great for current 6+ owners though!

microkelvin said:     can i exchange my iphone 6 plus with a cracked screen?

"If your iPhone 6 Plus is in working order, and the screen is not cracked or broken, Apple will repair your device for a service price of $149."
It was clearly stated "not cracked or broken" on Apple website.

Redbeard25 said:   
DjScibbity said:   Wow...what a deal...so they admit to a design flaw that affects a very large percent of phones and pass the pricing for the fix on to consumers.
Eff Apple!

"Because our 2016 Corolla has issues with the starter not working from time to time, bring it in, and for $4000, you can have an entirely new 2016 Corolla from front to back with its odometer at 000000."

I think I'd take that offer.

Also: Cars are more repairable / depreciate quicker.

I for one would not take that offer.  You could sooner trade your car in on a new one and have a difference less than 4K, especially on a Corolla.

If it is known problem that affects a major part of your phone experience it should be handled for no cost.  Just like HTC did for my HTC One that had a bad camera that was a known problem.  Instead Iphone users with a faulty phone actually buy the next model to get the features to work.  That is unbelievable to me.  To revisit the car analogy, can you imagine saying my 2016 Corolla transmission is bad from the manufacturer it is documented known, I think I'll buy a 2017 model to get one that works correctly.  Apple loyalty is insane.

Sorry I went so far off topic, I'm sure I'll see a bit of red for this one.

HKSturboKid said:   LOL....between BF and Christmas, I had to go to Apple Store to have them take a look at it for the same issue and both time they claim nothing was wrong. So I finally trade it in to T-Mobile for the promo to get ip7 and now this. My plan was to hold on to the 6 plus for another year to get IP8 this year and guess I am out of luck.
  Hard to believe you would still patronize a company that refuses to recognize or repair a known problem with their phone.  Then when they finally address the issue, they ask you, the consumer to pay $150 for the repair.

https://mccunewright.com/iphone-6-touchscreen-defect/ -- They are still getting sued about it. Yes, it is a defect with the phone design, though they won't admit it. They fixed the flaw in the iPhone 6s Plus...

So, the problem is that Apple's solution to a design defect, isn't to upgrade you for free to the next model that doesn't have the defect, it is to charge you $150 for a product that SUFFERS FROM THE SAME DEFECT.

If you own a iPhone 6 Plus, this is perhaps better for you than buying a new phone, but be aware that the Refurbished Swapped phone  has a 90 day warranty. I had this Swap done, and I'm on day 110 of the swap and my swapped out refurb phone is experiencing the same problem again....

you can still sign up if they have a litigation issue going..... probably a couple hundred dollars you would get back but hopefully it is documented on your account

Nice deal lol....

Two consumer approaches. Pay the $150 and then chargeback. Would be interesting if nearly everyone did that. If the replacement has the defect, this is possibly pointless. Or buy a 6s/7 Plus and hope litigation leads to a refund of all or most of that cost.

Wanna try~

Eff Apple!

Car companies do it all the time. They have admitted design flaws that cost thousands to fix. But no recalls, not even help paying for the repairs. 
Example: Ford, modular engines with no cam bearings in the heads. Variable valve timing controlled by oil pressure with bad cam phasers that took three years to correct. As long as it is not a safety issue they just keep ripping off consumers. 

jimates said:   
Eff Apple!

Car companies do it all the time. They have admitted design flaws that cost thousands to fix. But no recalls, not even help paying for the repairs. 
Example: Ford, modular engines with no cam bearings in the heads. Variable valve timing controlled by oil pressure with bad cam phasers that took three years to correct. As long as it is not a safety issue they just keep ripping off consumers. 

Apple volumes are higher and pockets deeper. Many lawyers were afraid to sue car companies for a time pending, for example, the GM bankruptcy. It's also likely easier to prove Apple defect and propose a consumer remedy. But yes, NHTSA needs more resources and there aren't enough aggressive, risk taking lawyers. It's often David versus Goliath when dealing with large corporations.

lol. thanks op

I have an ip 6 plus that does not have a clean esn.
Would I be able to trade that one in?

I believe a class action law suit has been filed since last Summer. I had the same issue.  Fortunately, through T-Mobile they replaced it with a 7-plus.  I guess that was the time the 6+ were getting pulled out and new orders were getting in.

bobley said:   Two consumer approaches. Pay the $150 and then chargeback. Would be interesting if nearly everyone did that. If the replacement has the defect, this is possibly pointless. Or buy a 6s/7 Plus and hope litigation leads to a refund of all or most of that cost.
  How do you expect to win that chargeback?

New Apple HQ costs $5B, but they want us to pay to fix this.

deleted

RJG said:   
bobley said:   Two consumer approaches. Pay the $150 and then chargeback. Would be interesting if nearly everyone did that. If the replacement has the defect, this is possibly pointless. Or buy a 6s/7 Plus and hope litigation leads to a refund of all or most of that cost.
  How do you expect to win that chargeback?

New Apple HQ costs $5B, but they want us to pay to fix this.

Some might win, especially with Amex. What would it cost Apple for all those chargebacks? $20 each?

lol @ everyone trying to offload their broken/bad IMEI device for a $149 new one. That's not how this works. People always come out of the woodwork, trying to leverage things when programs like this arrive.

Nice deal

coolbreeze said:   lol @ everyone trying to offload their broken/bad IMEI device for a $149 new one. That's not how this works. People always come out of the woodwork, trying to leverage things when programs like this arrive.
  That's the FW spirit! Ripoff the big tech company!

Is the replacement one unlocked? If yes, I have a 6+ Verizon. Can I trade it in for the replacement one? I use T-Mobile.

ahlex said:   Is the replacement one unlocked? If yes, I have a 6+ Verizon. Can I trade it in for the replacement one? I use T-Mobile

Would also like to know the answer to this!

How gracious of Apple to only charge $149 to fix a defect in design. SMH.

I'm going to give this a try; my wife has complained about her iPhone 6+ for a while now about the sensitivity....

Funny, they swapped my bent one for free last summer.... guess that was just a fortunate outcome.

OP, can you change the title to REFURBISHED? Your posting implies that Apple will provide a brand new iPhone 6 plus as a replacement for the old one which is decent for reselling and getting something else but a refurbished replacement will fetch much less money.

Two weeks ago I brought my spouses' iPhone 6+ in for a cracked screen repair, and was told that since it didn't have AppleCare it would be $149 to replace the screen.

It hadn't been repaired before, and if you use non-Apple screen repair they won't touch it.

When I came back, was informed that it was affected by the multitouch issue, and would cost the same $149 for a brand new, identical phone. Restored to the backup, and I'm happy about it.

A cursory search found the problem shows up after being dropped...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017